Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

-Yeah I want to keep that engine configuration. Reminds me a bit of the Normandy and is somehow balanced by magic.

-I did have a LF tank but they each had 400LF. Twice what I needed. Though I do lose some oxy but have less mass like this. I'll fiddle with both so see what is optimum.

-I was getting better performance with the RCS. I was thinking that using a single fuel would be more efficient. Proved wrong there though.

-I pretty much head up at 20 degrees and switch to jets between 1300 and 1400 m/s. I think its rocket fuel I'm low on as I still have a tiny bit of LF left on landing. Its still a bit unstable but much better than it once was.

Here is the craft in case you want a look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh4oqvobs6knhf9/VT-104A.craft?dl=0

Its the first SSTO I've been happy with how it looks in a long while. All I did was pull the side off a Co-102, then give it rapiers and wheels!

Well, with a bit of extra oxidizer thanks to a dedicated LF tank, and the most scary ascent I have done in a long time, it does make a 500km orbit with 190m/s to do the rendezvous (I managed to both starve two RAPIERs out of air because I was going too steep and blow up a battery due to overheating because I was going too fast too low, practically simultaneously). I gotta say, the TWR is downright scary, and I used nothing like a standard SSTO ascent. By 10,000m, I was pitched 30º to avoid overheating, and I ended up switching to LFO at a mere 1,250m/s... with more than 400m/s in vertical velocity!

gGP5z63.png

I did do the RCS port thing, and I managed to forget to fill the tank with RCS, but hey, extra fuel is extra dV, and I did have about 100 units of extra liquid fuel. I also added some silly-looking strakes for added roll stability, feel free to substitute them of rip them off and pilot around it. Also, thermal proofing: those panels want to overheat and blow up, just like the battery, I just went up too fast for them to do so.

http://www./download/22h29rucfonq38y/VT-104B.craft

Rune. This definitely feels more like a rocket than a plane.

kill it! Kill it with the kraken!!!!

Kill it with fire!

And I ran into a crap ton of bugs with KSP...

So I was redoing an A380's engines.

When it was done, and I was ready to test launch, this happened:

J6pITBB.png

And the Sun was in focus in the map:

e6mLNeN.png

Since the revert flight function was not working, I closed the game and opened it again, loaded the A380, and then this:

s0sNvDO.jpg

New craft, loaded again:

6gktJAM.jpg

of cri ;_;

Well, with a bit of extra oxidizer thanks to a dedicated LF tank, and the most scary ascent I have done in a long time, it does make a 500km orbit with 190m/s to do the rendezvous (I managed to both starve two RAPIERs out of air because I was going too steep and blow up a battery due to overheating because I was going too fast too low, practically simultaneously). I gotta say, the TWR is downright scary, and I used nothing like a standard SSTO ascent. By 10,000m, I was pitched 30º to avoid overheating, and I ended up switching to LFO at a mere 1,250m/s... with more than 400m/s in vertical velocity!

http://i.imgur.com/gGP5z63.png

I did do the RCS port thing, and I managed to forget to fill the tank with RCS, but hey, extra fuel is extra dV, and I did have about 100 units of extra liquid fuel. I also added some silly-looking strakes for added roll stability, feel free to substitute them of rip them off and pilot around it. Also, thermal proofing: those panels want to overheat and blow up, just like the battery, I just went up too fast for them to do so.

http://www./download/22h29rucfonq38y/VT-104B.craft

Rune. This definitely feels more like a rocket than a plane.

Thanks for testing it. I think I may have to lengthen it to give it some extra fuel. 4 Rapiers are more powerful than I thought! If I give it the longer sloped nose, fill up all the tanks with oxy, and then have the LF tanks as well, I should get more dV out of it.

I'll also play around with the odified wing strakes. Find which configuration looks best while being more stable. If you think its bad atm, you should have seen how it handled in the first pic of it!

And about feeling more like a rocket... When it still used landing legs I launched it vertically like a rocket SSTO!

Kill it with fire!

And I ran into a crap ton of bugs with KSP...

So I was redoing an A380's engines.

When it was done, and I was ready to test launch, this happened:

http://i.imgur.com/J6pITBB.png

And the Sun was in focus in the map:

http://i.imgur.com/e6mLNeN.png

Since the revert flight function was not working, I closed the game and opened it again, loaded the A380, and then this:

http://i.imgur.com/s0sNvDO.jpg

New craft, loaded again:

http://i.imgur.com/6gktJAM.jpg

of cri ;_;

I know how you feel mate, I lost 3 copies of my Gipsy Danger before I half-finished one.

On topic, my new Buran-style Shuttle. No main engines on the orbiter.

screenshot7328_zpsxyn4zpvg.png

screenshot7338_zpsabwngpqy.png

screenshot7346_zpsq2nzn1pp.png

I built a tiny emergency return vehicle...

http://i.imgur.com/KHVA7Vw.png

It doesn't even have a RCS subsystem, but it does put out 1.5km/s in a reentry-friendly gliding package. And it fits a Mk3 bay! If I ever put it out, it'll go in the subassembly pack I'll eventually do, with my Klaw pods and the Cuppola tug you can see grabbing it in the pic, among other things that don't deserve a thread but are quite cool.

Rune. SO cute.

Another fan of EJ, eh? ;)

Another fan of EJ, eh? ;)

I know who he is, but no, I don't watch Twitch generally (and I curse it often during Squadcast). Did he do something similar recently? If so, possible sources of inspiration include, but are not limited to:

-HL-20

-Dynasoar

-The Hermes capsule

-The BOR-4 test flight

-The MIG-105

-The DreamChaser

-The Farscape 1 fictional mini-shuttle

-The X-37B.

Care to guess which one sparked my build? I'll give you a hint: I was procrastinating on youtube when the inspiration hit. :P

Rune. Nothing new under the sun.

Working on my COLONY ship:

Part count is becoming a problem, and my FPS are dropping as I dock these next habitats. Here's 4 docked, with room for 4 more. That would be 8 pods, 20 seats each ... 160 Kerbals. Not nearly as many as some of you guys with your massive colony units, but still loads of fun for me. I'll probably limit the number to only 10 or so (about 12 or 13 Kerbals per pod) to ensure they are comfortable.

fsn3gHn.jpg

And here's what each individual pod looks like:

5uNM0GE.jpg

Each pod has about 2,000 m/s delta-v with 20 seats and are created using four Mk2 crew sections surrounding a Hitchhiker can. The roof is a heatshield. The radio antenna is from the Asteroid Day pack, while the solar panels I think are Near Future Solar. The "skycrane" detaches after the pod lands and then flies away to crash somewhere in the distance.

Ok... so i've been working on a top-secret project. A miner. Shuttlecraft style. To be attached to an orbital mothership, neatly, beautifully.

Some variants (all work great for non atmospheric bodies, except Tylo).

I'm beginning to find out that the engine and mining module is actually quite versatile and can incorporate multi mission roles depending on the service and command module.

The Excursion prototype shuttlecraft

6ff5eHA.png

LRRhZaL.png

Science version (with cargo bay packed with science instruments, more fuel, and more returnable ore per mission)

9XXmJpy.png

2GCczRdh.jpg

6ntzZIq.png

Pure Miner. Minimal science. This guy is smiling. (My daughter's suggested single-seater version)

7WUI1NQ.png

kzcb9rW.png

I like making functional craft...look good.

More to come.

Edited by inigma

I just figured out, you could make a pivoting wing craft? Or a deforming craft flight and landing, maybe a giant bird?

Some good ideas! The only problem with that tiny pivot is it is a bit weak. The sas module tends to drop out...although I did have a version with 4 radial wheels that was a bit stronger. Perhaps I could make pivoting wings with it. But then the airbrakes might interfere with the handling of the craft...I'll give it some thought.

I dont believe they really drain any power, but at medium to high torques the scanners just slip out of the holding, no matter how strong or precise you make it .

They also dont work with symmetry

Yeah I can confirm this. No power usage and they pop out of any housing under heavy load. They'll handle light loads well though.

Ok my walker is done, and fully functional. It can now turn, and moves at a speedy 8 Mps.

jmZCQcM.jpg

It sadly takes like 30 seconds to spool up, requires 20 jet engines, and is 500 parts...

This will be posted when i have made a video, as it will need a vid to show how it works :)

New little Munar Flyer. I named it the Dragonfly. It works alright, but I think I need more power, because it's really sluggish when translating, especially if thrusting upwards.

NqujHWo.png

It is completely self sufficient in everything except fuel. It has RTGs forpower, plus a battery, landing gear, a light, comms antennas, and a surface scanning module to determine biome.

RaTn1wT.pngHopefully I can make it able to land safely from Munar orbit, so it can be used as a base ferry, but we'll see. It can probably already land on Minmus.

qwwD3kv.png

Qf0vEdq.png

bnArGlj.png

QEsI6We.png

pP5nmmM.png

XAnJXj9.png

BBbAk6S.png

Well, well, well.

http://i.imgur.com/oHmpXsM.jpg

Hotkey 1 powers the motor. I'm not sure how powerful it is yet...

Wow, I was wondering if the scanners could be used to spin something, but I quickly tossed that idea because nothing can be attached to them. I haven't though about doing it that way, though!

EDIT:

Yeah I can confirm this. No power usage and they pop out of any housing under heavy load. They'll handle light loads well though.

Oh, that's too bad. Maybe the scanners themselves still have a use. I will do some more testing.

Edited by Rthsom

As promised. More.

The Innovation proof of concept prototype. Detachable shuttle named Excursion is fully capable of science excursions, and mining enough ore for 2:1 return to mission from most airless bodies except Tylo. The Innovation has four cargo bays, not counting the docking bay for the Excursion (which in this test run was open, but is actually designed to remain closed permanently for nice clean docking). This is the first dry run of the prototype in orbit. Many of the internal systems are not yet developed, although there is an orbital scanning satellite tucked in one of the forward bays. I've never ventured beyond Minmus. I plan to do so in style.

F6uPUhg.png

QaLvNkh.png

DS9FaS5.png

lbaS0Br.png

ERqa7q8.png

O4VWrS2.png

kThcqv8.png

TA05n7G.png

T1NNAX7.png

RpqwKEC.png

jjoNIRj.png

...concept was loosely inspired by the Star Wars Rebel's Phantom and how it docks up in the rear of the Ghost.

Edited by inigma

Currently working on a VTOL with IR, OSPREY-fashioned plane.

I will work on an SSTO version. I got inspired by one of the last thread, "skyhopper".

This plane currently behave very very well in Vertical, and in horizontal as well, It got little problem while transitioning without SAS, but ASAS torque handle it.

dVUPUaL.jpg

Edited by NKL

So, I continued doing stuff with the narrow-band scanners. They have no friction on a smooth surface, so I tried driving on jagged fairings, and it turns out that works, albeit a bit slow.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Using this knowledge, I thought I could try make an elevator, and it turns out that works as well. It uses four outer fairings that act as rails, and a central one that is used for the climbing. Sometimes the elevator breaks apart and explodes, but it has potential.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Rthsom

Very cool!!!! cant believe that those scanners have been out for, what, 6 months now, and people are just realizing their potential, but hey, innovation every day. I do wonder what unique side effects 1.0.5 parts will have...

I blame the fact that they are in science... As a sandbox player i rarely look in that category.

So, I continued doing stuff with the narrow-band scanners. They have no friction on a smooth surface, so I tried driving on jagged fairings, and it turns out that works, albeit a bit slow.

http://imgur.com/a/AVrxA

Using this knowledge, I thought I could try make an elevator, and it turns out that works as well. It uses four outer fairings that act as rails, and a central one that is used for the climbing. Sometimes the elevator breaks apart and explodes, but it has potential.

http://imgur.com/a/fgUA2

Nice... But how do you get them to reverse their direction to make it go down again? Of course there's the argument that one should never go backwards and only forwards... :)