Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

18 hours ago, BlueCanary said:

Can land on the VAB helipad, the main difficulty flying this is really the unbearable lag from the exhaust effects hitting the ground. Please please please somebody find a way to turn that off without disabling the entire exhaust, it's driving me crazy.

Go to settings. There's a toggle for suface fx over there.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Go to settings. There's a toggle for suface fx over there.

THANKYOUthankyouthankyou I've been looking for that for so long

I tried making an A4 Skyhawk style light attack plane to fly off carriers (still too WIP even for the WIP thread, but coming on nicely), and although it ended up more like the A4 in function than form thanks to needing canards to get the balance right it is still quite a nice plane, very maneuverable, great high angle of attack performance with 40+ degrees AoA straight and level flight at 20m/s (although I'm not sure exactly what that's useful for), with reasonable speed for a wheesley plane and long range too. It's 26 parts and 9 tonnes, with a top speed of Mach 1. 

BSjWxyA.png

My newest SSTO lift rocket can bring up to 60 tons to 70km LKO and then return for reuse. However, currently I'm fighting with the KS-25 "Vector" engines and their propensity to explode during reentry, an issue I've tracked down to a missing line in the cfg file specifying the skin-to-core heat transfer rate. As it is, the skin heats up to 2000K pretty quickly while the interior remains at barely a quarter of that, unlike the other engines that heat more evenly and thus survive.
One of the most frustrating things about this is that radiators and heat conduction seem to only deal with the internal temperature and thus do nothing to help. My best solution so far has been lots and lots of airbrakes.

Edited by parameciumkid

The forums are back! Here progress on the PT-Boat, the rudder room, aft bunks, the engine room, and the officers ward are complete! It's a 600 part vessel for now due to the crazy detail (for example, using seismometers as buckets, paper rolls, ammunition drums....). It needs KJR and runs at 10% IRL speed for now. I hope to make it survive on the water in stock, and move and turn at least. It's also pretty slow, which seems to suggest I need to take out weight.

I tried making a harrier:

It sucked - too heavy, so barely limps off the ground with two wheesleys, and then it's painfully slow in forwards flight as it only has a single panther. Maneuverable, but the anhedral on the wing means it can enter an unrecoverable spin if yawed too hard.

Then I tried rebuilding from the ground up, not trying to make it look at all like a real Harrier, and it's worked much better. Can VTOL on an (almost - the front NCS adaptor is empty for balance) full fuel load, and flies very nicely in both forward and vertical flight, although vertical TWR is low when on full fuel. It's also only 29 parts, which isn't bad considering most of the other VTOLs I've made have been huge overengineered monsters. Cruise performance is poor and speed maxes out at around Mach 1.2 in a dive, but since the main objective of the design is to be a ship launched light attack plane range and speed aren't too vital anyway since it'll start off close to the target anyway.

1 hour ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Well, my base for my new Saturn V replica is done...

Now time fix the 1st stage engines, and fins, then add some decals (empty heat-shields)

Edit: Also looks like this is my 250th post, yay me!

NAA98Ou.png

Holy Macaroni that is big! Does it blend?

Edited by Jon144

Okay, so it is time I showcase all the stuff I did during the migration:

Did a formation with a B-17 to recreate the Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler incident:

tv4K3Pf.png
965EAD0648A197AADC58FD13F9CDF81DAC8742E4

..Close enough, I guess?

Aaaand rammed him after:

Made an Me 262 That was finally in-scale with the rest of my aircraft: 

dYTFION.png

zrGjx7O.png

Built two attempts at a Titanic, both still nonfunctional for whatever reason - one was WAAAY too large for its own good:

XM0QLTU.png

This one is much smaller.

Focke-Wulf 200:

G7hVG2y.jpg

J9LMZcL.png

RWpdtOK.png

qzSqCVF.png

It actually has a lot of bombs for the size of its cargo bay.

Focke-Wulf 190

img]PG3oOCy.png

Edited by Columbia

PT Boat Sea trials are partly done, now tests against explosives and shells, still using KJR to make it move, but it's capable of 28 m/s (~54 knots?) top speed on full load, and probably 32 m/s at a lightened load (At that speed, the PT Boat can almost outrun its own torpedoes!), maybe higher. Turning circle looks good, now an endurance test, maybe a test against explosives... I replaced the engines in the back with a goliath, while awkward to place (I put it just under the aft crew quarters/ Rudder room).

In other news, I'll probably be working on my KOL in The Asteroid Sentinels, a build based off/Inspired by the MOL. 

Hello :) with the migration to the new forum, i decided to restart anew, (especially as i did not have any 1.05 craft - all my crafts are from older versions of the game)

so, let's start now with a small WIP :) (i tried to get the size as much 1:1 as the stock editor allows me :P -so the orbital module and descent module diameter is 2.2m) full stock, 172 parts, 11.5 tons.

3 seats in the descent module, two seats in the orbital module (though, of course, avoid staying in the orbital module for reentry ^^)

full RCS control with those custom made RCS blocks (thanks omnis + spiders :p)

Edited by sgt_flyer

2 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

Hello :) with the migration to the new forum, i decided to restart anew, (especially as i did not have any 1.05 craft - all my crafts are from older versions of the game)

so, let's start now with a small WIP :) (i tried to get the size as much 1:1 as the stock editor allows me :P -so the orbital module and descent module diameter is 2.2m) full stock, 172 parts, 11.5 tons.

3 seats in the descent module, two seats in the orbital module (though, of course, avoid staying in the orbital module for reentry ^^)

Awesome!  You can make the lights cast no light, but still look light up by tweaking the color sliders all the way down.

12 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Awesome!  You can make the lights cast no light, but still look light up by tweaking the color sliders all the way down.

Yes i agree , looks very cool

- luv the 'soviet' desing stlye !  ^_^

it is so different from the american. but the new generation of russian space ships are very stunnig near NASA or SpaxeX design.

My KJR pt boat is almost finishing sea trials, now I need to try to improve torpedo and depth charge deployments, and add launch clamps carrying kerbals, and unload things right in the water vs hyperedit. I'll still need to make the all stock variant, but the KJR version now has ore tanks for stability for initial entry in the water, which have gears! I will test endurance by getting it to the island airstrip. Besides this, I will be done with the craft, and ready to release. Also, scatterer is amazing!

With the Asteroid Sentinels, I'm working on a Tweakscale Titan IIIC, I'll get pics tomorrow.

13 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

My KJR pt boat is almost finishing sea trials, now I need to try to improve torpedo and depth charge deployments, and add launch clamps carrying kerbals, and unload things right in the water vs hyperedit. I'll still need to make the all stock variant, but the KJR version now has ore tanks for stability for initial entry in the water, which have gears! I will test endurance by getting it to the island airstrip. Besides this, I will be done with the craft, and ready to release. Also, scatterer is amazing!

With the Asteroid Sentinels, I'm working on a Tweakscale Titan IIIC, I'll get pics tomorrow.

Nice! Mind telling me where you and MRS got that beautiful ocean?

46 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

yup, It's a new feature.

Where? I have some issues with video, as I have lost the trees in 1.0.5; so, is this water created by a mod? Am I missing something?

--- edited---

Found the mod, getting ready to test it on my setup. If any suggestions about the trees, would love to hear it.

Edited by adsii1970

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Where? I have some issues with video, as I have lost the trees in 1.0.5; so, is this water created by a mod? Am I missing something?

--- edited---

Found the mod, getting ready to test it on my setup. If any suggestions about the trees, would love to hear it.

Turn terrain Scatters on in your Graphics Settings.

Edited by selfish_meme

27 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Turn terrain Scatters on in your Graphics Settings.

Thanks... I should have remembered this! When my system updated to 1.0.5, this option became unchecked. The scatter mod is awesome, but had to uninstall it; my older system couldn't handle it...

Thanks again!

Further modifying my mothership to take advantage of newer parts and make it more effective at hauling cargo rather than fighting. I think its the F variant now. Also the LF tanks being buffed has move it back up to 6k of dV without drop tanks.

So far the changes are:
-Mk-2 fuel tanks at the back make it a lot sleeker.
-A forward facing docking port is more effective at moving heavy cargo compared to the previous side mounted ones. I've had to move the antennae to below the nose to make room so it now has a distinctive 'chin'
-A small ISRU module sits at the back for making fuel on the go. I still need to test that it doesn't overheat. Ore tanks aren't included to they either need to be on the lander or as one of the modules of the mothership. Tempted to make it replaceable with a science bay via a docking port.

407Z1RQ.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart