Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I've gotten the BDA Mark 13 Torpedo to finally reach 30 m/s, so that the explosives on the nosecone can detonate when striking targets. The distance to reach 30m/s seems to be ~250 meters, and travels 24 m/s underwater. It weighs about 1.1 mT, and uses 2 Juno Engines. I'll have to test trial the actual BDA PT Boat next (and Depth Charges that explode). It is also a nice subsonic missile, though its pretty unstable. TWR is about 4.5.  

What do you think?

1 minute ago, Captain Sierra said:

@selfish_meme ISV Venture Star. Designed to be my flagship interplanetary vessel for moving things long distances. While quite suitable or stock, its designed with OPM in mind, packing a whopping 28k dV in the pictured configuration.

Ah OK, I didn't recognise it, I never thought about that ship from Avatar, Venture Star reminds me of the SSTO

5 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Ah OK, I didn't recognise it, I never thought about that ship from Avatar, Venture Star reminds me of the SSTO

Its far from a 1:1 replica, but the long tensile truss, twin plasma engines, and giant radiator arrays are definitely pulling inspiration (the last one though is hard to see without a good orbital shot).

A friend and I are operating as a committee, getting together most Wednesday nights to work on our space station. We design together, we plan missions together, we sometimes play as pilot and CAPCOM (Very helpful with new or shaky vessels, and fun to play that way!).

Along the way, despite our shared reasoning, some mistakes were made, and now there's some really, really dangerous debris in orbit. Big stuff. The kind of stuff you don't want to encounter. So, taking a page from Planetes, I've designed a space station tool designed to get the stuff out of the way (and, ideally, deorbit it altogether. I call it the Deorbitizer. It's a small nuclear rocket designed to attach with the Klaw, point itself (roughly) at the center of mass of the whole ill-conceived mess, and then deorbit.

Pro: get rid of the orbital garbage before we Kessler ourselves.

Con: We're, uh, dropping nukes back to Kerbin, which seems like a poor shepherding of resources, to put it in the most utilitarian terms.

(You'll note a difference between these two Deorbitizers. I'm trying to work out the best configuration, which mostly comes down to TWR.)

Dx1y1Ke.png

mmGiQ1Z.png

Just now, Joshua A.C. Newman said:

A friend and I are operating as a committee, getting together most Wednesday nights to work on our space station. We design together, we plan missions together, we sometimes play as pilot and CAPCOM (Very helpful with new or shaky vessels, and fun to play that way!).

Along the way, despite our shared reasoning, some mistakes were made, and now there's some really, really dangerous debris in orbit. Big stuff. The kind of stuff you don't want to encounter. So, taking a page from Planetes, I've designed a space station tool designed to get the stuff out of the way (and, ideally, deorbit it altogether. I call it the Deorbitizer. It's a small nuclear rocket designed to attach with the Klaw, point itself (roughly) at the center of mass of the whole ill-conceived mess, and then deorbit.

Pro: get rid of the orbital garbage before we Kessler ourselves.

Con: We're, uh, dropping nukes back to Kerbin, which seems like a poor shepherding of resources, to put it in the most utilitarian terms.

(You'll note a difference between these two Deorbitizers. I'm trying to work out the best configuration, which mostly comes down to TWR.)

Dx1y1Ke.png

mmGiQ1Z.png

Does the motor have to burn too? Why not put the debris on an entry course and circularize the tug.

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Does the motor have to burn too? Why not put the debris on an entry course and circularize the tug.

Because there's very little fuel onboard and it'll rarely have the ∆V to get home, making it another piece of debris. But you're right; it would usually be better to bring it back if I can. That means docking with the klaw on the space station to refuel, which is really funny.

I've been thinking about switching to a scaled-down Poodle to do that job. That means a lot more fuel for the same ∆V, but then it doesn't have to come home. If the first burn doesn't bring down the target, that implies it's extra big, and is therefore worth two Deorbitizers.

Aforementioned kOS scripts for my Raynos Zoid.  Scripts for VTOL takeoff and walking.

Future plans are for VTOL landing, disabling flaps over a certain velocity, and moving wings over a certain g force.  Also gonna try and get the gundam to walk.

This is my first submission to this august group of aerospace designers. It's a vectored thrust VTOL plane featuring a recoverable two-kerbal rover. At this stage of development, I was able to fly from KSC to the old launch complex and return. The landing back at KSC took place after dark and with only 3% of fuel remaining. Whew!

Specifications are as follows:

Empty Weight: 19.3 t  43,232 lbs      Ramp Weight: 26.7 t 59,808 lbs     Part Count: 88        H 5.3 m   W13.8 m   L17.6 m
Cruise Flight @5000 m: 275m/s 535kts   Endurance:  2.25 hr   Range:  2228km 1203 nm
Stall Speed: 84m/s 163kts (full flaps, no vertical thrust)

Mods:  KER, KAS, KIS, FAR, InfernalRobotics, TweakScale, MechJeb, ProceduralParts, QuantumStruts, HyperEdit, StockBugFix, and KerbalAlarmClock

Link to photo album since I can't seem to embed the darn thing.

iaBnvkA.jpg?2

Edited by MachTurtle
fixed imgur link

1 hour ago, PointySideUp said:

These are both great!  Love the look, how do they handle?

The big one I've made a long time ago to use with the kethane mod, I've since updated it to use stock components, and it handles fairly well, just some balance issues.

The small one flies fine, just trying to work out how to get down to the mun and back as efficiently as possible since it doesn't carry a lot of fuel.

Here a couple of vids of the larger one in action.

Edited by huggy

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Olympia is coming along nicely. Somehow she performed a water landing...

That's a really good idea using the MK3 bays on there sides like that. makes for a ridiculous amount of cargo capacity.

edit

A suggestion though. are you controlling it from that offset MK3 cockpit? This will mess with guidance systems like mechjeb or whatnot. If you are going to use it in a cinematic It might be helpful to add a probe core or something inline with the plane. Might make fore easier auto pilot situations.

Edited by V8jester