Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

16 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Working on my Admiralty M Destroyer. Cleaned up the hull, almost done with the things in front of the bridge. I still need to update the guns. I'm building the bridge, but I'm still not satisfied. If any of you can find any sketches of the destroyer with some dimensions, that would be great. Honestly, the hardest thing about building WWI destroyers is finding perfect measurements. :P I also need to reattach those S28 Structural panels I removed, since my ship sinks without them.  I will also start working on the smokestack area of the ship too. 3vzpLhY.pngDo any of you have any input on the ship? 

You installed a lot of mods wrong... (The icons have no pictures)

Really, though, it looks good.  Try to run some of the edges a bit.

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Looks good so far. I would spend a bit of time cleaning up all those panel angles though. When using the rotate tool click and hold the RMB then drag the mouse away and your precision will be massively increased. You can place object pixel perfect this way.

I might try the triangle panels or just make the panels go upright, since most sources seem to say the bow on its Y axis is straight. Panels are a little fiddly, it's something I run into in my designs quite a bit.

10 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

You installed a lot of mods wrong... (The icons have no pictures)

Really, though, it looks good.  Try to run some of the edges a bit.

Which icons? The WW2 Warships mod by default has almost no texture btw.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Just now, SaturnianBlue said:

I might try the triangle panels or just make the panels go upright. Panels are a little fiddly, it's something I run into in my designs quite a bit.

Which icons? The WW2 Warships mod by default has almost no texture btw.

The icons on the buttons in the bottom left corner.

I built the bridge on the Admiralty M class destroyer, patched up the bow,  got it floating again, though it seems to lean a little forward. I still need to make Pom-Pom guns and i'm not fully satisfied with the 102 MM gun on the front. I'm also planning on working on the smokestack area next. I found some sources of a full diagram on the ships, but due to part count (already 400+) and still vague detail I probably wont much of an interior. The ship only goes about 12 M/s, and I need to likely increase that by 50%. Turning is ok. I also gave it a Royal Navy flag. :)

Edited by SaturnianBlue

On 17-1-2016 at 3:02 AM, SaturnianBlue said:

Admiralty M Class Destroyer Floats! Now it's time to "actually" build the bridge, and I'd love to give it some interior, but WWI Destroyers have VERY little interior details even from a good hour of looking for images and sources. I'm planning on building actual stock hinges for my Torpedo tubes. Still need to use Vessel mover or hyper edit to transport around though. :(

You might be able to use less parts for the same shape. Have you taken a look at my frigate? It has an easy to use undercarriage to drive to the water & decouple.

34 minutes ago, Azimech said:

You might be able to use less parts for the same shape. Have you taken a look at my frigate? It has an easy to use undercarriage to drive to the water & decouple.

Which area in particular? The bow stern or just the hull in entirety or elsewhere? The hull is about 200 parts. I modified the hull a bit since that post. (The post above)

Sidenote: Your mod is really cool, I'll probably use it for most of my Warship builds larger than a small torpedo boat. :) 

Edited by SaturnianBlue

9 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Which area in particular? The bow stern or just the hull in entirety or elsewhere? The hull is about 200 parts. I modified the hull a bit since that post. (The post above)

Sidenote: Your mod is really cool, I'll probably use it for most of my Warship builds larger than a small torpedo boat. :) 

Thank you! Any suggestions? Drop them in my topic :-)

The fact I'm building my own mod doesn't mean I instantly build good ships. My first battleship is too complex and has a high part count.

But then this, my first light cruiser during her first shakedown test. Everything I learned these past two months packed into a solid & sleek design. To do: superstructure/bridge/conning tower, fire control, damage control, crew quarters, solve slight tendency to list.

Length: 191m
Beam: 24m
Draft: to be determined
Mass at this time: 35790 tons
Current part count: 201
Main Power: 6 medium sized boilers
Propulsion: 4 medium sized steam turbines, 5000kN each.
Electrical: 6 steam turbines
Top speed: 18m/s

Edited by Azimech

I have made another folding wing aircraft which I think looks much better than my last one

Unfortunately the wings will only fold up and lock once. If I try and unfold them then fold them up again the top docking ports will not dock with the ones on top of the wings. If I try and reload it gets far worse, the wings will not undock at all 

rTgWhJI.png

That wing you can see floating is apparently still attached to the plane and will responds to movement controls. 

Just now, mrmcp1 said:

I have made another folding wing aircraft which I think looks much better than my last one

Unfortunately the wings will only fold up and lock once. If I try and unfold them then fold them up again the top docking ports will not dock with the ones on top of the wings. If I try and reload it gets far worse, the wings will not undock at all 

rTgWhJI.png

That wing you can see floating is apparently still attached to the plane and will responds to movement controls. 

What are you using as a hinge for the wings?

3 hours ago, mrmcp1 said:

It's because the docking ports need to get more than a meter away to reset so they will dock again.

5 hours ago, mrmcp1 said:

rTgWhJI.png

Question: Does it still fly like that?  If so, I see no problem with the design.

Was reading about how they got funded for cargo trips in 2019, looking at the photo I thought maybe if you did this or that, what do you guys think, it's first trip it was remarkably stable, bit short of KSC and I needed a bit more pitch authority to land. Next version in the hangar is last shot

Edited by selfish_meme

3 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Was reading about how they got funded for cargo trips in 2019, looking at the photo I thought maybe if you did this or that, what do you guys think, it's first trip it was remarkably stable, bit short of KSC and I needed a bit more pitch authority to land. Next version in the hangar is last shot

Dream chaser?

Just now, selfish_meme said:

Yeah, I know its a bit long, maybe needs some more sweep on the fins

Its a very fun craft to build and fly. Looks good so far man. not much to improve, good luck with the build!

Edited by Majorjim