Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

While I wait for Real Ships to be finished so i can start Projekt Adneren Boote, I've started building a trebuchet.

oAglMaZ.jpg

ji8ZOyb.jpg

I need to tinker with it to find the optimal release point.Maybe I'll bring in KAS to get a working sling on it too!

I've always had a very big interest in the Soviet design method. After the 1.1 prerelease I came up with a project to build both a working Buran style shuttle as well as a fully reusable shuttle system to build an orbital station using as little funding as possible. The main booster will probably be the trickiest to land but it'll be doable. Hopefully I can land it on a drone barge like the Space X missions and tow it back to the KSC to get the most funding out of it. Here's the current prototype. It's still going through glide tests and what not.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/KJ4ALgR.png

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/4ko1ISv.png

Edited by Canberra_Gaming

Because I don't seem to have enough irons in the fire I started working on this little VTOL, handling is very nice but not a quick handling craft, bank turns are a little slow and also when landing like an Airplane it's very challenging because of it's small wingspan and weight, this requires high speed landings with a gentle touch down and full braking is a good idea as soon as you hit the pavement. With the Panthers kicking with afterburners in the rear it looks really cool in flight. I am still tweaking Star Hunter to be able to land when lite on fuel and not sure if it's going to be released but I will be sure to release this one soon.

I am not sure what takes longer, building a craft or coming up with a good name for it?...lol

Maverick - S7V
(VTOL)

Edited by castille7

9 hours ago, Canberra_Gaming said:

I've always had a very big interest in the Soviet design method. After the 1.1 prerelease I came up with a project to build both a working Buran style shuttle as well as a fully reusable shuttle system to build an orbital station using as little funding as possible. The main booster will probably be the trickiest to land but it'll be doable. Hopefully I can land it on a drone barge like the Space X missions and tow it back to the KSC to get the most funding out of it. Here's the current prototype. It's still going through glide tests and what not.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/KJ4ALgR.png

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i.imgur.com/4ko1ISv.png

Welcome to the forums Canberra_Gaming, If you select the black Icon on the end of the menu bar then enter the last letters in the link address only, example (kIDes) your photo album will show on the forum. Use the shared link given by Imgur when it's an album.

3YKUO2V.png

Look at me, my absurd attempt to recreate a WW2 aircraft in a space game in a totally arbitrary and complicated combination of parts and placements has resulted in total failure, and therefore Squad has screwed up. I will assume it is because Squad "rushed" 1.0 because I assume it is rushed and base all my complaints on that, because I have superior knowledge of what is happening than even Squad themselves. /sarcasm

I couldn't think of any other caption to this total failure.

liHDfk9.png

But I'm still a firm believer in "Joints need to be at least somewhat strengthened" bandwagon.

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

Look at me, my absurd attempt to recreate a WW2 aircraft in a space game in a totally arbitrary and complicated combination of parts and placements has resulted in total failure, and therefore Squad has screwed up. I will assume it is because Squad "rushed" 1.0 because I assume it is rushed and base all my complaints on that, because I have superior knowledge of what is happening than even Squad themselves. /sarcasm

I couldn't think of any other caption to this total failure.

liHDfk9.png

But I'm still a firm believer in "Joints need to be at least somewhat strengthened" bandwagon.

111! I love those planes! Spent many hours doing bomb runs & trying to protect myself from attacks by Hurri's and MiG 3's.

Are you planning on building a Zwilling as well?

15 hours ago, castille7 said:

Because I don't seem to have enough irons in the fire I started working on this little VTOL, handling is very nice but not a quick handling craft, bank turns are a little slow and also when landing like an Airplane it's very challenging because of it's small wing span and weight, this requires high speed landings with a gentle touch down and full braking is a good idea as soon as you hit the pavement. With the Panthers kicking with afterburners in the rear it looks really cool in flight. I am still tweaking Star Hunter to be able to land when lite on fuel and not sure if it's going to be released but I will be sure to release this one soon.

I am not sure what takes longer, building a craft or coming up with a good name for it?...lol

Maverick - S7V
(VTOL)

Needs more PB-Nuks... ;)

I made fighter jet-esc looking SSTO. The nose cone can be decoupled and then you can dock with a space station to refuel. I also have two small vtol engines so that we can land horizontally on minimus and sort of vertical on Minimus. 

yjsoZUS.png

JCsvN9O.png

1jRzW3d.png

j3B1IBD.png

7 minutes ago, Munbro Kerman said:

Stock SLS build

O9jhiGg.png

On the pad

0BeXA4J.png

Liftoff!

JMH6R0h.png

Breaking the Sound Barrier

UuO3bRG.png

In orbit

Let me know what you think of it!

Pretty nice, it reminds me of the lack of suitably sized SRBs for the 3.75m parts.

21 hours ago, Azimech said:

111! I love those planes! Spent many hours doing bomb runs & trying to protect myself from attacks by Hurri's and MiG 3's.

Are you planning on building a Zwilling as well?

Yep, they're one of my favorite German bombers as well, the bombsight in IL-2 Sturmovik was hella complicated, though. :wink:

I might be able to, once the aircraft achieves stable structural stability.

I finally achieved flight with it for once;

JB3t2Mx.png

0FRraLp.png

And built a Ju 52 as well.

znPAqDo.png

Edited by Columbia

My friggin' big breakthrough! I've done it! After years of begging people & Squad to build me some kind of position sensor I've used stock modules to program myself one!

Soon: the very first piston engine in the Kerbal Universe using an ignition system to run on it's own power! Low part count too!

Right now I'm just sorting out some collider issues.

uvQfdmA.png

Edited by Azimech

20 minutes ago, Azimech said:

My friggin' big breakthrough! I've done it! After years of begging people & Squad to build me some kind of position sensor I've used stock modules to program myself one!

Soon: the very first piston engine in the Kerbal Universe using an ignition system to run on it's own power! Low part count too!

uvQfdmA.png

As I stand in amazement :confused: would there be some Juno's engines in the cylinders are will there be?

59 minutes ago, Azimech said:

uvQfdmA.png

I commend your tenacity. I have pretty much given up on trying to do awkward things for now... Maybe when 1.1 is finally done I'll go back to finishing the flapping blade autogyro, but I just cannot seem to replicate your enthusiasm. Perhaps I should hop over to Holland for a pep talk with some stroopwaffels!