Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

37 minutes ago, castille7 said:

As I stand in amazement :confused: would there be some Juno's engines in the cylinders are will there be?

Nope, I've adapted rocket engines to function as "diesel injectors". Actually most of the parts you see are custom adapted Squad models except for the struts and beams.

5 minutes ago, FlipNascar said:

I commend your tenacity. I have pretty much given up on trying to do awkward things for now... Maybe when 1.1 is finally done I'll go back to finishing the flapping blade autogyro, but I just cannot seem to replicate your enthusiasm. Perhaps I should hop over to Holland for a pep talk with some stroopwaffels!

All will be fine, and we'll find a way to make things work. The increasing complexity really is a joy but we can't depend on stock to get certain things done. For example ... what I've built (the ignition system) is impossible in stock. I've spent a few years on and off trying to find a solution. I love how KSP is gradually evolving to become a leader in virtual reality real time physics simulation with an easy to use editor ... this will attract a whole new kind of user.

Just now, PointySideUp said:

Incredible!  I can't wait to see you build an afterburner powered turbine housing to TURBO it! :)  

:D
Something like that was already spinning in my mind. It's amazing what we can do with the stock modules once we look beyond the originally intended application.

I'll name a few:

• ModuleEngineFX
  • ModuleAlternator
  • ModuleResourceConverter
  • ModuleGenerator
  • ModuleCoreHeat
  • ModuleActiveRadiator
  • ModuleAblator

Combine these in a certain way and you can build an analog amplifier and even a synthesizer ... a future project of mine. I'm a novice in electronics but this stuff inspires me enough to build my own transistor and simple logic gates very soon.

Just now, Azimech said:

build my own transistor and simple logic gates

OK, so after building enough transistors and laying out a large CPU, GPU and chipset, the next big challenge will be to get KSP running on the PC built inside KSP!

2 minutes ago, Azimech said:

build an analog amplifier

Awesome!  Guitar shredding mini game inside KSP? :cool:

Just now, PointySideUp said:

OK, so after building enough transistors and laying out a large CPU, GPU and chipset, the next big challenge will be to get KSP running on the PC built inside KSP!

Awesome!  Guitar shredding mini game inside KSP? :cool:

Well ... KSP's sound system could use a big overhaul first ... there was a bug in 1.0.5 which got worse in 1.1 :confused:

I'll settle for simple electronics at first. Some modules come with their own limitations and bugs as well. If the community likes it enough, we'll see a new branch of development ... overshadowing Garry's Mod.

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

My friggin' big breakthrough! I've done it! After years of begging people & Squad to build me some kind of position sensor I've used stock modules to program myself one!

Soon: the very first piston engine in the Kerbal Universe using an ignition system to run on it's own power! Low part count too!

Right now I'm just sorting out some collider issues.

uvQfdmA.png

If this is a real working piston engine I've got to see a video... :o

Nothing as impressive as Azimech's piston engine, but I wanted to do something with rotating joints, so I made this terrible 300 part car thing. (of course temperature damage is off)

phZjwVG.gif

Edited by manni01

I managed to make a smaller, and better stock rotating joint wheel car thing. Less than 100 parts and can even turn (but can't go down or up inclines) It also looks a little better

xGL9FpH.gif

Edited by manni01

18th Century sailing ship V76Od4v.jpg

Doesn't really have a name yet other than "Galleon".

Of course, I couldn't resist building another interior with an atrociously high part count. Even my computer is having trouble with this, maybe I'll have to port it over to.,. to a... stock... install I hope I don't have to, I love scatterer and EVE...

hozPKoP.png

Captain's cabin and Map Room. The Captain's private rum supply is on the left.

8IJ4Tx0.jpg

Crew quarters below deck with a table and hammocks.

ySQ7aeY.png

Cargo hold with various boxes, bags, and barrels.

Stuck on small craft designs again, this is my Aurora 2000. Its a VTOL / Watercaft with a dual seat and runs lite on fuel. I guess if I would have worked with it long enough I could have packed more Juno Engines under it to liftoff with full tanks but decided to go with the lighter version and it still has lots of flight time. I should have named it with some kind of insect name because it looks like a bug. During testing I found the water is much nicer in 1.1 and underwater is looking much better also. I will have some views in my upcoming video. As soon as I get a chance to download the video I'll post the craft on the Spacecraft Exchange Forum.

Aurora 2000

Edited by castille7

Been taking a break from KSP for a while, but however this is my newest craft that I am working on. Dubbed the "supernova" for pretty obvious reasons, it is designed to take up 3 kerbodyne 14400 fuel tanks. These pics are from the first true test run, and when i got up there there was about 2 and 1/2 tanks left, i still need to do some optimizations. When I decoupled the rear however, it broke apart, which is the main reason this is still in WIP. It is only about 450 parts right now, and about 60 of those are the rapier jets

9 hours ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Been taking a break from KSP for a while, but however this is my newest craft that I am working on. Dubbed the "supernova" for pretty obvious reasons, it is designed to take up 3 kerbodyne 14400 fuel tanks. These pics are from the first true test run, and when i got up there there was about 2 and 1/2 tanks left, i still need to do some optimizations. When I decoupled the rear however, it broke apart, which is the main reason this is still in WIP. It is only about 450 parts right now, and about 60 of those are the rapier jets

Wow. That's big.

Still cant build a single useful SSTO :/

y7GXi6W.jpg

Damn! That wasn't supposed to happen!

Dopp45N.jpg

"Well, I hate to say it, Jedbrett, but the captain does have to go down with his ship, and you're in the captain's chair, so... Have fun!"

zLbLPWT.png

"Well, me friend, how's about one last mug o' rum for ole' time's sake, eh? Bottoms up!"

Unfortunately, in his stupor Bill never realized the irony of that statement, as the ship tipped over and was sinking towards the bottom of the ocean 'Bottoms Up' within seconds. Bill and his drinking buddy remain entombed inside their ship to this day.

I'll get to work on fixing the ship's stability.

Back to the trebuchet: 1YcG8Rn.jpg

I doubled the counterweight and lowered the position of the throwing arm just a little so that it will swing up and get caught by the landing lags, rather than starting partially inside them and clipping through, leading to a premature release.

BhTGdax.jpg

Still trying to find the best time to release the projectile.

EDIT: Even heavier counterweight, now with an experimental hinge fitted to it to reduce the amount of wasted energy. 

I can into physics

DLxNDtk.jpg

Edited by pTrevTrevs

In it's early stages, I plan to tweak the design and add some interior. The lighting needs to be adjusted and the bow will be improved for a better looking profile. I am using eight Whiplash engines for its forward and reverse but yet still forward propulsion :D and also two on each side for steering but these might be removed for a better look.

Island Express Ferry

Update 1

I added a center wall to support the upper deck, I've seen Ferry's with this before. I also improved the profile a little and the lighting. I made a neat discovery during these tweaks, I am using the adjustable intakes to hide support struts giving it a clean look, I will probably add them to the complete length of the center wall to look like a floor molding to add a little better look.

Update 2

After adding Stairways, Guardrails, Bench Seats on the upper deck and Pilot Seats etc... we went on sea trials again and docked against the beach to begin loading rovers to head for the Old Airbase Island. Immediately after reaching the beach I noticed the hull was reaching bottom before the ramp was close enough for vehicles to board. I then began to fabricate a boarding ramp, always easier said than done and as you know this is not the first setup that was designed. After a few trips to the Ferry and failed ideas I now have a Loading Ramp that's working great. I then built some small rovers for our sea trials. I would like to have seen a full load of rovers for our trials but it was becoming very time consuming loading the rovers. All the night photos were done because that was how this project started so I took advantage of the situation and used the night for testing the lighting and just continued with the project in the night hours. I started heading for the Island today with four rovers and all is well. Warp x1 is ok but anything beyond that will make the rovers begin to drift off the stern.

Edited by castille7
Update 2

Still on 1.0.5 for now, i've resumed progress on the HMS Hood after finishing a episode on the Asteroid Sentinels, and with about a month to go till the 75th Anniversary of the Battle Of The Denmark Strait, i'm 80% done with the Hood, I need to complete the mast, the one "Chicago Piano" Pom-Pom gun mount, a couple more turrets (and the border around), and a bit more. Today i finished the main aft structure, added a rocket, and the little bit between the aft and the middle. 

I have no intention of building the little boats/rafts though. :( 

I'm now designing an SSTO. I got myself stuck on 2 SSTOs that WILL eventually become fighters. no pics cuz im on my new lil asus 13 tablet laptop thing. The name for one Is the Diablo (or Devil) and the other has no name but is still in the phase for a designation, which is kx-1.

I'll be back- The Terminator- 1980 somthin

I now understand why trebuchets had slings on them. Apparently, it's pretty useful!

kUZKfmo.png

MO1fZ1O.png

rr4cRCV.png

I wasn't even aiming for an optimal release point, I just wanted to test to see if the action group still worked after the arm decoupled from the rest of the craft! Without the new sling, previous shots (with optimum releases) would only reach that first set of marking on the runway, while shots released with the sling travel three times as far!

Is... is this what it feels like to make an engineering breakthrough in the game? I mean, I know Scott Manley made a trebuchet years ago, but this one has all the necessary workings of a proper trebuchet, correct weight and length ratios, a sling, a counterweight on a hinge, etc.

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Revised first picture to help identify projectile more easily

HMS Hood is structurally complete, but unfortunately I still have to do Sea trials, and the ships stern is still hanging in the air disturbingly. Here's an imager album with the ship "finished", though the kerbpaints got messed up a bit, not sure why.

Also, a gif of what happens when I blow up something like 10 Tallboy bombs in the back sections... Also, the reason he back turret is missing is because it sort of just fell off when I entered vesselmover.

Edited by SaturnianBlue