Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Goliath, a colony single-stage-to-minmus transports for 20 kerbals +rover.

Despite its stature, it lands and take off anywhere vertically with its mainsail engine and 2-axis fuel balance design.

X2u7OLG.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

I've decided to try out a LKO lifting SSTO design to refuel a future space station/fuel depot and I can get it into orbit with a full Jumbo-64! Now to keep it from dropping like a rock due to the aft-heaviness of it... The biggest problem is the game chugs with it on my laptop in 1.0.5, making flight difficult, and the landing gear collapses under it in 1.1, so I've unfortunately had to shelve the design for the time being.

With rover wheels being kinda wonky in 1.1, combined with the upped part count, I decided to revisit my original plan for a scaled up armoured rover-base thing. I'd say it's 95% done, just trying to figure out if I should add more fuel and make the 25 ton rover heavier or if I should remove fuel, but reduce the range that it can use its monopropellant boosted speed...decisions, decisions...

Finally, we've got ridiculous stuff that I'll never end up releasing because it's made on a whim:

Jet that's inspired by the jet that Batman used in the Justice League cartoon! Honestly, this thing ended up way too usable for comfort...for a weird looking jet, it's got great low and high speed manoeuvrability. Now to just institute some sort of crime-fighting minigame!

wyh3ByW.jpg

A dragon jet! (I just had to see if it could be done and while it flies, it's by no means an easy beast to control; quite apropos, I'd say. :P

Hey guys!

Coming back at you today with something that's actually a proper work in progress, instead of being largely complete! This time, it's a mission control set for a long-term project I have in mind. I've never built any form of interior in KSP, so I feel like this is a really new experience for me! I'm pretty proud of how the desks have turned out so far, and I'm having fun making it. Enjoy! :) 

(note to self: turn down screenshot scaling to 0)

I'm back again, and after another hour of work the mission control has managed to find the funds for some walls, more desks and a raised platform. Who knows what they'll do with those!

16 hours ago, Kryten 2X4B 523P said:

Part of my latest Duna mission - the KIV Shackleton.

D749434F58F2438BCFFCCE0BBD9CC190CD830607

Shackleton? I would be careful naming it that, your crew might find themselves walking across Duna with no food, little water, no heat, and a small chance of survival.

Just saying, Shackleton's luck may rub off.

I have 3 craft that are in the hopes of being an SSTO to my standards. I was once told an Orbit of 74 m/s is a good rule of thumb for being considered an SSTO, but what about returning to Kerbin's Surface? Or at the least refueling then return for a successful landing? Well I think this should be required before putting the title SSTO on a craft. I have Star Hunter that is going into Orbit but not making a reentry, but if I refuel it in Orbit and return for a successful landing then I believe I will have an SSTO. Also I started on a smaller craft named Flash and this craft is getting into Orbit but still in testing. My third craft is "Hurricane" and it's my first possible SSTO that has reached Minmus, an exciting milestone for me. Anyway I am still learning and having lots of fun with SSTO's.

"Hurricane" 
(Update 1)

ruCqqQZ.png

6 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Shackleton? I would be careful naming it that, your crew might find themselves walking across Duna with no food, little water, no heat, and a small chance of survival.

Just saying, Shackleton's luck may rub off.

That's presuming Kerbals aren't already cannibalistic by nature. They're green, just like the well known Soylent product which I suspect is what "Snacks" actually are.

And theres 6 of them cooped up in there :-)

Just now, SaturnianBlue said:

RealShips, a mod with a bunch of parts intended for ship/boat building.

Ahhh, thanks! I'll check it out

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, seeing as it's now largely complete...here is the mission control! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for a first try, but I'd really appreciate feedback and constructive criticism! :D 

4 hours ago, RevanCorana said:

Anyone managed to make decent rovers with the new wheels ?

One trick is to turn SAS from auto to Pilot Only, the Auto setting is not good for rovers and accounts for most of the spinning out.

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Ahhh, thanks! I'll check it out

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, seeing as it's now largely complete...here is the mission control! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for a first try, but I'd really appreciate feedback and constructive criticism! :D 

Maybe a low wall and step down into the 'bullpen' with chairs at the top looking down?

Working on an MMU design! I may have gone overboard with the amount of dV this thing has (~1072 from RCS, ~2715 from Dawn engine, according to the readouts), but I love how it turned out, especially with the silly halo it seems to give the Kerbal piloting it. Sheer luck in how I placed it, but I'm gonna claim it was intended from the get-go. :P

All hail Jeb, Patron Saint of dV and rapid unplanned disassembly! :cool:

P.S. - What was everyone liking on my earlier WiP post? Please let it be the rover that I worked hard on and not the dragon jet I threw together in 15 minutes...

Read about Stratolaunch on space.com the other day

IpxHDKR.png

1 hour ago, Caligari said:

P.S. - What was everyone liking on my earlier WiP post? Please let it be the rover that I worked hard on and not the dragon jet I threw together in 15 minutes...

For me it was the SSTO's, the rover was sort of cool looking

1 hour ago, Caligari said:

It most certainly was the rover.  I like all craft that have that indestructible look about them. Its also a nice turtle that rolls over on command ( u should try it on Minmus. The force from the legs induces laughter )

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

One trick is to turn SAS from auto to Pilot Only, the Auto setting is not good for rovers and accounts for most of the spinning out.

Thanks for the info, lowering the friction slider to about half did the trick for me.