Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 6/4/2016 at 3:55 PM, selfish_meme said:

The Crimson Skies and Rhea lander on their way to Mars, maybe, getting the kinks worked out of this 4 Kerbal Mars return mission.

qjVTBiM.png

It's going to be close, very little margin

iVTDDtR.png

I must've missed this. Looking pretty sweet! :D

Couple of questions:

1. Is that RSS or SSRSS?
  2. Are those parts stock scale (with something like SMURFF or RealFuels), or scaled up?
Edited by MrMeeb

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

I must've missed this. Looking pretty sweet! :D

Couple of questions:

1. Is that RSS or SSRSS?
  2. Are those parts stock scale (with something like SMURFF or RealFuels), or scaled up?

It's SSRSS, and it's stock just the texture on the fairing is changed because I am filming our ISS video with the shuttle.

Here's a "little" something I've been working on, another science cruiser, based around the general shape of my SledgeHammer ship, but much smaller.  The Tack Hammer!  Shown next to my largest cruisers, JackHammer and SledgeHammer.  It gets to Minmus for refueling and holds 8 crew, but It's too small to add a mobile lab.  I might send it out to Jool anyway :P

I was considering a kerbal powered engine system you could dock to a space station that was small, and re-usable, and I came up with this basic design, proving it could work (hacked gravity to get to space, then accelerated quick enough with RCS, and the ladder to get an orbit)

13 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Can I second guess at the Panther then? :wink: 

That's right, it's an F9F Panther. I was almost expecting  someone to guess the P-80 Shooting Star, except for the tail, the F9F looks almost identical to it, especially since I can't give it a blue paint job and decals.

Korea, 1951. A group of three Panthers fly in formation on a combat air patrol over the Sea Of Japan, within sight of the North Korean shore.

ZdEVZvU.png9XvPnXM.pngRZ10YZo.png Speed is good, very close to the Panther's actual performance. Maneuverability and climb rate are... not good. I'm not sure what to do about that, I can't make it any lighter, don't want to cheat with loads and loads of reaction wheels (I only have two right now), and can't reposition the wings without ruing the shape. I have no idea how maneuverable the panther was in real life, but I'm going to guess (based on WWII era American planes) that more emphasis was placed on speed and firepower than on turn rate.

In case anyone is wondering I used BD Armory's Wing Commander function to set up and maintain the formation and I added a few BD 20mm cannons in the nose.

77 Industries I presents:

The first powered glide with a piston engine!

I don't consider it a flight because it didn't have the speed to really take off, and it only lasted around 30 seconds.

Engine: 3F2-A2 6 cylinder two-stroke running at 125 RPM. Once I've got the ignition timing issues solved, it will happily run at 180 and real powered flight will be a reality.

A few more pictures from my F9F formation that I forgot to share last night

4APAv4U.pngSvUoHF5.png

Doesn't that just scream "Korean War"? I think maybe I'll try and make an aircraft carrier resembling the Essex class to fly them off of, and maybe a MiG-15 or Yak-9 to challenge them.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

21 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

[snip af]

That new signature though. Also, how many parts is the F9F?

I haven't been doing much, tried to build Space Shuttle Orbiter Columbia. It's very messy so far though and stands at.. 142 parts. 

Actually, that's not really high.

9LP1DYO.jpg

BvzKA2F.png

I used parts other than the Big-S wings for the Space Shuttle. Am I edgy now?

Ah screw this, I'm going to bed. 12 AM might not be the most night owl-esque time there is, but working on it is tiring.

PS: Does it look better with or without the black antennas covering the cockpit? Most of the photos I've seen of the Shuttle have the windshield just barely distinguishable from the black heat tiles on the front.

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

That new signature though. Also, how many parts is the F9F?

Last I checked it was around 50 parts, although I have made a few modifications to it since then, so it could be more or less

It's 63 parts. I've done another flight test to see how I can make it more maneuverable and it seems that decreasing the authority on the ailerons and increasing it on the elevators makes the plane both agile and easy to control. Also, thanks to SSRSS, I can now fly the Panther over Korea itself!

CFxA7Ir.jpg

Taking off from Japan. I don't think panthers had the range to fly from Japan to Korea, but since the planet is Kerbin sized I have more than enough fuel for the trip.

FjzwMnA.png

Arriving at the North Korean coast.

ubjJM25.png

I still need to prove that it can be landed, and once I've managed to do that, I'll be ready to release it. I've tried to get Kerbpaint and Nebula working so I can paint it in Navy colors, but neither mod works.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

5 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Last I checked it was around 50 parts, although I have made a few modifications to it since then, so it could be more or less

It's 63 parts. I've done another flight test to see how I can make it more maneuverable and it seems that decreasing the authority on the ailerons and increasing it on the elevators makes the plane both agile and easy to control. Also, thanks to SSRSS, I can now fly the Panther over Korea itself!

CFxA7Ir.jpg

Taking off from Japan. I don't think panthers had the range to fly from Japan to Korea, but since the planet is Kerbin sized I have more than enough fuel for the trip.

FjzwMnA.png

ubjJM25.png

I still need to prove that it can be landed, and once I've managed to do that, I'll be ready to release it. I've tried to get Kerbpaint and Nebula working so I can paint it in Navy colors, but neither mod works.

NEBULA works you need the latest Firespitter dll from roverdude.

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

NEBULA works you need the latest Firespitter dll from roverdude.

Yeah, that may be the reason it didn't work when I tried it.

KerbPaint sort of works, in that the part turns blue when I press P, but the menu doesn't appear, and the shaders are all messed up. I heard that running BD armory and KerbPaint caused this, but I don't have BD installed right now, unless Vessel Mover counts.

48 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Yeah, that may be the reason it didn't work when I tried it.

KerbPaint sort of works, in that the part turns blue when I press P, but the menu doesn't appear, and the shaders are all messed up. I heard that running BD armory and KerbPaint caused this, but I don't have BD installed right now, unless Vessel Mover counts.

Again it's difficult to get going, Linuxgurugamer recompiled a DLL for it that works in the thread for some people, I can't use it anymore for instance

23 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Again it's difficult to get going, Linuxgurugamer recompiled a DLL for it that works in the thread for some people, I can't use it anymore for instance

Yeah, I'm using the recompiled DLL with KerbPaint.

9 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

CFxA7Ir.jpg

FjzwMnA.png

ubjJM25.png

..Oh. That's a lot of detail for few parts. Nice!

And crap, Scatterer's oceans still aren't functional on my Windows computer. Oh well.

I'll turn the oceans off.

Edited by Columbia