Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

3 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

@pTrevTrevs Cool! Have you tried using the Targeting ball or pod with the TOW's yet?

The Cobra has an FLIR ball on it but it doesn't seem to do anything. BD'a radar still sort of confuses me, even after watching the tutorial video on the thread.

13 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

The Cobra has an FLIR ball on it but it doesn't seem to do anything. BD'a radar still sort of confuses me, even after watching the tutorial video on the thread.

Can you actually get the missile to fire? Does it look like the following pic?

BlI8ECK.jpg

In flight you have to have Lock Target selected on the FLIR ball screen, TOW missile selected in the weapons menu, Trigger must be Armed and you have to hold the left mouse button down until it launches, (can be a second or two). It's a good missile and can hit targets about 45 degrees left or right off the front of the craft with static turrets.

40 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Can you actually get the missile to fire? Does it look like the following pic?

BlI8ECK.jpg

In flight you have to have Lock Target selected on the FLIR ball screen, TOW missile selected in the weapons menu, Trigger must be Armed and you have to hold the left mouse button down until it launches, (can be a second or two). It's a good missile and can hit targets about 45 degrees left or right off the front of the craft with static turrets.

I just realized that it probably didn't work because I was firing at space center buildings instead of other ships.

What can I say? The VAB is cooler to destroy than a tank or howitzer battery.

the Cobra flies pretty well after a few modifications. I made the tail longer, adjusted the seat locations, and relocated the FLIR to the nose (not shown in photos).

Am6Q8fU.pnguH62OBl.png I also flipped the TOW tubes around, since I noticed they were backwards, but I did that after I took these pictures.

I'm still trying to find out whether Cobras with flat paneled canopies were used in Vietnam. I could also use a tank or other vehicle to use as a target for the TOWs, and I'm too lazy to build my own. I already have my Korean War aircraft pack, Constellation, and now this to contend with, I need to wrap one of them up so I can finish the others.

EDIT: I figured out how to work the TOWs and the FLIR! Now I just need to make a scout helicopter to make a Hunter/Killer team. What do you guys think, OH-6 Cayuse or OH-58 Kiowa?

Please, at least look up the OH-6 before you all say Kiowa.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Progress report! Today I did some more fumbling around, went back to an older version that worked ok, and it appears to work pretty well. For now I'm just draining the water with hyper edit, and activating pumps, but apparently some pumps aren't working, so water doesn't flush in, but it doesn't really go out. 

Now for the pictures! First two show the one I just tested, it seems to list back. However, I tried to mess with the rotation to try to prevent too much listing (there was about a 1degree tilt), but apparently this does not work well, as it soon the bow listed out of the water...

Download for the ship (for you to play around with, remember that in 1.1 I'm pretty sure the paint won't work).

17B Iteration (the one I tested today, which is in the pictures)

17A, tested yesterday.

15B, the one 17B was derived, and had the best trials earlier.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:23 PM, Rune said:

Those are several open-ended fairings, right? To make a bay that can be opened and closed? If so, it might be that you are just not getting any effect from them other than added weight. IIRC, when open they don't apply the "shielded" tag to the stuff inside, and thus you get awful drag that stops you form going supersonic without a ludicrous TWR.

Rune. Just my two cents.

Just got around to looking at this, (hardrive crashed and I went on vacation)

And yea, the main body is a open ended fairing, so it probably just the insane drag, thanks for the input though :)

why are you guys working so much for it? Just have @frizzank and now @NathanKell 's FASA mod. Here is the link-

By the way, i really appreciate your hard work... Its really hard to shape a real model with a stock parts, but to make gameplay more fun in years 2016, you can really try fasa mod!

On 7/6/2016 at 3:54 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

the Cobra flies pretty well after a few modifications. I made the tail longer, adjusted the seat locations, and relocated the FLIR to the nose (not shown in photos).

Am6Q8fU.pnguH62OBl.png I also flipped the TOW tubes around, since I noticed they were backwards, but I did that after I took these pictures.

I'm still trying to find out whether Cobras with flat paneled canopies were used in Vietnam. I could also use a tank or other vehicle to use as a target for the TOWs, and I'm too lazy to build my own. I already have my Korean War aircraft pack, Constellation, and now this to contend with, I need to wrap one of them up so I can finish the others.

EDIT: I figured out how to work the TOWs and the FLIR! Now I just need to make a scout helicopter to make a Hunter/Killer team. What do you guys think, OH-6 Cayuse or OH-58 Kiowa?

Please, at least look up the OH-6 before you all say Kiowa.

Can you share the craft file with me please?

Edited by Neil_Kerman

The Omega 7 Project

Recently @KerbalKyle45kk posted Share your Most Colossal Ship/Plane!  and this reminded me of a huge refueling station I built in an earlier version of KSP named Omega 7. At the time I was still learning the limits of the game and new to the forums (With flying of the handle postings :blush: because I was so excited about this new program) and found that lag was terrible with such a large build so after I got my station in orbit I canned the project. Well these days we have better muscle 1.1.3 and I was able to Orbit and begin refueling the station. The craft I chose for refueling is one that I thought was released on the forums but I can't find it, anyway it's Space Tech, the craft was at first designed to deliver 9 satellites and return to Kerbin's Space Center, now it's a supplier for whatever you can latch on to it's lower end, I've made a small lab put it in Kerbin's Orbit, used it to refuel a station in the Mun's Orbit and now to refuel Omega 7 currently in Orbit at Kerbin. As for now I am not sure what my final goal will be other than dock a few craft to it and refuel a ship to make some extended journey to another planet. Below are pictures of my current progress.

This is a link to the original Thread Omega 7

Space Tech

Here are some previous Space Tech Missions

The craft has been going through some changes in design and I plan to release it with the Omega 7 when complete.

Special Notice: During this project Omega 7 had a near miss with an Asteroid, had to share this it must be a rare sight

Edited by castille7
Added Previous Space Tech Missions

My teeny, tiny Duna mission.  Well, actually, could probably go anywhere there's enough sun.

Minor fly in the ointment is that I can't actually get the kerbals out of the seats for some reason.  

Work in progress, I've rebuilt my FW 190 from the ground up, this is the A3. it has better dimensions for the cockpit and resembles more the real thing. Using the Chakora v1 engine performance isn't lightning due to the drag of the airframe but it doesn't matter and it's still much better than the A2. To do: install the Chakora v2 engine (plug & play), build the pilot, clean it up, add some struts, fix the prop to compensate for blade expansion at higher RPM.

Edited by Azimech

Omega 7 Project Update

Before revisiting Omega 7 I was working on a VTOL craft (Cyber) designed for Low Gravity Atmospheres using Vernor Engines for it's vertical lifting. It's been through lots of testing and still going through changes. So far it's reentry is doing well and the launcher is a little challenging but it can get the craft to a LKO Station with fuel remaining. The current progress made with this project is putting the Station in Orbit, Two Refueling Missions with (SpaceTech) and now it's first customer arrived for fuel. Next I plan to Undock from the Station and return to the Kerbin Space Center Runway. The ideal craft for docking would be an SSTO but I have yet to build one that can reach a LKO Station, maybe at a later date because these are very challenging to build :blush:.

I am always open for suggestions and good criticism and I don't hesitate to use them if I like them.

I would like to add that returning to the Kerbin Space Center after burning in from Space has got to be one of the most exciting things to do in KSP especially at night!

Progress report for Prince Of Wales, with the announcement that, I am essentially done with the ship.

I've managed to get it to be stable for 6 or so minutes on some trails, and I think the reason for the variations was because lists in the warship before launching were eventually amplified as time passed on, resulting in lists that I really have no control over, except getting the ship in the water very quickly. Unfortunately vessel mover doesn't really allow for really fine tuned shifts, so the variation quickly causes lists.

Now I need to test the turning. After that, i'm putting the Denmark Strait project sort of on hold till Kerbpaint is fixed, and WW2 Warships gets compatible with Realships.

On 20-7-2016 at 2:55 AM, SaturnianBlue said:

Now I need to test the turning. After that, i'm putting the Denmark Strait project sort of on hold till Kerbpaint is fixed, and WW2 Warships gets compatible with Realships.

Or rather the other way around ... but I must say I'm disappointed with 1.1.x, some nasty water bugs have returned and the sound system is still partially broken since 1.1. Together with the fact BahamutoD doesn't have time anymore to update BDArmory or VesselMover (stuck at 1.1) and thus NAS isn't fully functional ... well ... you get the idea. Not feeling really motivated atm.

Edited by Azimech

Omega 7 Project

Cyber night landing at Minmus

This is Cyber making a night landing at Minmus during craft testing. I like the engine set, I am using an LV-909 Terrier, four Juno engines and two dawn engines, I am considering a second LV-909 but this could do more harm than good for both it's design and performance. Also Cyber is not an SSTO, a launcher was used for it's trip to Minmus. Xenon Gas would have been nice to return to Orbit after this landing but the two Dawn's were not enough to do so. This Engine Package works  better for reentry at Kerbin.

Edited by castille7

I updated the B777 with a custom cockpit. A little messy but turned out to be pretty decent.

tKekAn9.png

Imgur's new interface turned out to be way more irritating than it should be, feels like the time the forum was migrated.

I tried to recreate it with the B747, but it just didn't work.

p0iQ0cp.png

And I built another He 111 a few weeks ago. The cockpit's closer to the real thing but not as close as I'd like it to be.

I took off the fins because I wasn't satisfied yet with the shape. I switched out the engines for the Airplane Plus DB 601s for a Battle of Britain film I was supposed to do but ran out of motivation for, and the cockpit's still a little too stout.

2rjGCJB.png

Seriously, who working for Imgur thought it was a good idea to put the BBCode link in a drop-down menu with an option of "Get share links" which still puts another window for all the links, instead of just hovering your mouse over it and copy-pasting?

On the bright side, uploads are really fast.

Edited by Columbia

I've been working on a small science lander that will fit in a CRG-50 double cargo bay.  It has a full science suite including the science jr and a cabin to store those science results before hopping to another biome with it's 3500 dV.  I've also come up with several ways to transport and store them, not sure which I like the best.  I'm calling this lander the Ant because of its size, industrious nature, and also the cones on the front remind me of ant pincers. :)