Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 8/3/2016 at 5:24 PM, Gman_builder said:

That's definitely a good point. But 1.1.3 has given unprecedented support for high part count vehicles. That plane I made is completely flyable at 10 FPS when you consider how many parts there are. On any single 450 part craft I will get anywhere from 25 to 40 FPS in 1.1.3. Which is impressive for my notebook laptop.

I get 4 fps on a 410 part ship

33 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

My first half attempt at building a ship. Hull turned out great and it floats perfectly, but I have NOO clue where to even begin on the super structure. I have tried multiple different designs but nothing looked good or fit with the hull design. One thing I see that is common in all decent looking ships is a very intricate super structure, but I just don't know how to go about doing that.

So it begins.

Guess this means I have to start working on torpedoes for Das Reboot.

31 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

I get 4 fps on a 410 part ship

what how

My laptop is a Dell XPS 13 with a i5 6700K with a INTEGRATED Iris 5500 graphics. I.E. NO dedicated GPU. I also have 8 gigs of ram. But I still get 7 FPS on a 1600 part ship like what are your computer specs?

Edited by Gman_builder

1 hour ago, Gman_builder said:

what how

My laptop is a Dell XPS 13 with a i5 6700K with a INTEGRATED Iris 5500 graphics. I.E. NO dedicated GPU. I also have 8 gigs of ram. But I still get 7 FPS on a 1600 part ship like what are your computer specs?

My computer is from 2006 with 4GB of ram and a really, truly, terrible Nvidia graphics card. It doesn't have a GPU either.

1 hour ago, The Optimist said:

My computer is from 2006 with 4GB of ram and a really, truly, terrible Nvidia graphics card. It doesn't have a GPU either.

What? GPU means graphics processing unit. Graphics card. So your computer does have a GPU. Mine does not. You can get a nicer computer for only a couple hundred bucks at bestbuy you know.

Omega 7 Project Update

The Matador Docking Test

The Matador is an SSTO but will be released with a launcher for a much easier rendezvous with LKO craft or stations. Although I think a highly skilled SSTO Pilot could possibly accomplish docking with a LKO Craft. The video below shows a successful docking from the Cockpit View. Other testing is still being done before the project will be released. I hope you find these updates interesting.

Edited by Castille7

Currently designing a manned Dres mission, and building the next generation of my Explorer class vessel.

This has the capacity for 15 kerbals, and includes 3 cargo bays which currently contain an MMU, science package, Narrowband Scanner Satellite and Resource Scanner Satellite. ISRU and lander will go in a separate package, and stay at Dres. Shielded docking port in the nose, and a large docking port at the rear.

Weight wise its the biggest interplanetary ship Ive built yet, weighing in at just shy of 180 tons and using 12 NERVs for propulsion - and now Ive run the fuel lines the dV caps out at just a shade over 6000, which should be enough for a Dres round trip without refuelling.

Still got a few things to sort, but its nearly ready to build the launcher and give it a test flight.

Quite pleased with the look of it too.

42126860950956A219C7891BDEF7AB1F1EAFADDF

Das Reboot close to the Danish coast, bouncing its way home to Wilhelmshaven after a patrol early in the war. I took these images in my SSRSS install so I could really test in in the North Sea and the Baltic, although all the other mods I'm running really slowed it down, and the rougher waves made taking good screenshots difficult.

54LldOH.jpg

Goodbye, Piccadilly, farewell Leicester Square, it's a long, long way to Tipperary, but my heart's right there...

giilEh2.png

I also redesigned the "greenhouse" part of the conning tower and the flak gun, the antenna design adds more parts, but looks much better than struts and can actually prevent Kerbals from falling over the edge. They also don't do weird things when you press CTRL+Z.

Issues still to be solved

• Fix hatches to the deck. I have yet to walk a Kerbal along the deck or stand one on the conning tower because the command pods are being a little finicky and won't let me do EVAs from them.
  • Speed is hit and miss. I've gotten it up to 8 or 9 m/s before, but sometimes it refuses to go over 1.5.
  • Deck gun? A lot of boats had their deck guns removed, especially during the second half of the war, because with the advent of radar and armed merchants it did little but weigh the boat down and make it louder underwater. I know I'm going for a representation of a U-boat during the Happy Times of 1940-1941, but I'm still in debate over whether to add a gun.
  • Fix underwater shaders to allow good screenshots of the boat submerged. I may need to uninstall Scatter for this to work, I suspect it's causing the problem.

On 7/8/2016 at 3:44 PM, Frozen_Heart said:

I've decided rocket SSTOs are a silly idea so I've gone for another approach...

It is working much better but sticking the landings is a challenge.

But those are rocket SSTOs! :wink:

And just to show that inspiration and advice goes both ways, this is what I started working on after our last talk:

RZzUy93.png

It's rather small (5-7mT to orbit on its own), but since I can side-mount it, it can loft up a VB station ring (23mT and a boopload of drag). Granted, it's like 250% of the expendable launch cost, and only uses tankage with low tank fractions, but hey, if you recover all four boosters, I'd reckon you would save something (a quick back of the envelope calculation shows me the expendable booster cost around 45k√, and the fuel for this is about 22k√, so about half the cost).

Rune. I'll be the first to admit I did it for the looks.

Edited by Rune

28 minutes ago, Rune said:

But those are rocket SSTOs! :wink:

And just to show that inspiration and advice goes both ways, this is what I started working on after our last talk:

It's rather small (5-7mT to orbit on its own), but since I can side-mount it, it can loft up a VB station ring (23mT and a boopload of drag). Granted, it's like 250% of the expendable launch cost, and only uses tankage with low tank fractions, but hey, if you recover all four boosters, I'd reckon you would save something (a quick back of the envelope calculation shows me the expendable booster cost around 45k√, and the fuel for this is about 22k√, so about half the cost).

Rune. I'll be the first to admit I did it for the looks.

Wait do all 4 of those reach orbit? As like a quad SSTO?! That is epic!

Also my screenshot wasn't a rocket SSTO, but a two stage rocket. Frist stage does a boost back and aims for the KSC (and misses) while the second stage does a full orbit before landing. Managed to figure out a flightpath that gave enough time to keep the second stage going and then be able to jump back to the first stage.

I managed to land both stages quite close to each other but both landed too far west from the KSC.

Edited by Frozen_Heart

2 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Wait do all 4 of those reach orbit? As like a quad SSTO?! That is epic!

Yup. I am by no means the first to come up with the idea (user @Giggleplex777 has a nice collection, I believe), but it is a cool concept to use. Short of like the biamese and triamese concepts for shuttle. Parallel stacking FTW!

2 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Also my screenshot wasn't a rocket SSTO, but a two stage rocket. Frist stage does a boost back and aims for the KSC (and misses) while the second stage does a full orbit before landing. Managed to figure out a flightpath that gave enough time to keep the second stage going and then be able to jump back to the first stage.

I managed to land both stages quite close to each other but both landed too far west from the KSC.

Oh right, that makes more sense. I was about to comment on the use of a Poodle within atmosphere... Still, I reckon that first stage could SSTO more than 5mT, the Twin Boar is a beast of an engine.

Rune. But don't let me stop you flying Space-X style!

Edited by Rune

22 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Das Reboot close to the Danish coast, bouncing its way home to Wilhelmshaven after a patrol early in the war. I took these images in my SSRSS install so I could really test in in the North Sea and the Baltic, although all the other mods I'm running really slowed it down, and the rougher waves made taking good screenshots difficult.

Does SSRSS really make the seas different at regions parts of the planet?!?!??! If so thats amazing!!!!!! I have it running on my desktop and i thought it just focused on better textures and stuff.Tho i didnt install Sigma Binary so it would be real scale while still having the beautiful benefits of SSRSS. 

Side note, i am almost done with my battleship thing. Looks OK at best. I am still looking for good examples and building techniques that dont use insane amounts of parts. Its at 713 parts right now. That is mostly in the tiny details though, like how there's 80 parts in just the control panels alone.

7e0Xfpv.png

TogbTRE.png

Spoiler

fH8EiXa.png

xaLEpxm.png

YmR2BoP.png

c5feX6H.pngGnC4mIw.png

I uses BD cannons and howitzers in place of stock ones to save on parts. Plus these actually work which is cool. I tried to drop bombs on it the other day and got shot down by the aft main cannon. I was surprised to say the least.

Has 2 decks total. 

Upper deck: Bridge and radar room

Lower deck: Ammo storage and unused room

I wish i could fit something in the main hull but it think it might just mess with the flotation abilities, which is AWESOME by the way, and i don't really know how i would be able to get a Kerbal to move between decks. Might use command pods clipped through the deck.

Edited by Gman_builder

Quick update on my Explorer 2 Dres mission..

Test flight went great. Reverted and made a few tweaks, added a probe core and some lights - ended up with 6219 dV overall for the ship itself. Should be plenty :-)

Time for the real thing..

The launcher was a bit of a monster, but she got off the pad....

7388C66F9D12834F03EAE4A9BFBF8B499B5CD37D

And into orbit...

3D1CCE0A289CCBA91D68A342363FBFA817886076

Next stop, build a lander, isru & miner. Might also add a tug / klaw and try to snag a Dresteroid.