Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

@Mycroft I had figured knowledge would be circulating on how to get around that small issue. Maybe I should've suggested the one from, I think, KSPI-E. But that one's way more complicated, eh? Now that I know this thread, though, I can share stuff here. :)

Edited by JadeOfMaar

23 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Mycroft I had figured knowledge would be circulating on how to get around that small issue. Maybe I should've suggested the one from, I think, KSPI-E. But that one's way more complicated, eh? Now that I know this thread, though, I can share stuff here. :)

Sweet! However, the Alcubierre drive mod always seemed horrendously cheaty to me, like HyperEdit, so I'm not planning to get it. If the efficiency was a lot lower, and I mean like a LOT, then I might get it. But for now, sorry. Not planning to get it. 

@Mycroft In that case you might love the GN Drive Tau. Powered by GN Particles, these give you antigravity, extreme acceleration and enough RCS translation power with zero torque, to allow even your ship to sidestep enemy fire. The CoT becomes irrelevant so you can attach it anyhow, anywhere, and still drive in a straight line. It has its own manual ISRU and plenty fuel capacity. However, here's the good part. The Tau is an imitation device and has the following shortcomings: Its ISRU needs 800 EC/s and if you run its fuel supply dry, it's useless until fully refueled. Also I haven't tested it but particle consumption rates may scale with the mass of the ship, so you could (possibly?) empty the particle supply by translating a few meters with your supergiant ship.

This is an actual WIP I started last night, to test the Taus because I didn't want to spam the "pure" GN Drive which is absolutely the cheatiest engine ever devised (because it's from a Gundam anime), but which has its own limits. To move this piece of mass I installed four but only need one. There are 17 tons of nuclear reactor on board: NFE's largest one in the waistline of the ship + the 2.5m USI reactor behind the cockpit to power all those ISRU. but I still need the ISRU in all four of them to keep the refuel rate above the consumption rate, and to have plenty particle supply without spamming tiny parts with fractions of the capacity. Antigravity consumes a steady lot too so I'm ensuring blackouts don't happen. That would be the absolute worst during atmospheric ascent.

SP6kHgP.jpg

FDrXYpF.jpg

While the ship is fully functional for all I'll want, I actually hate this design. It's a complete build but I want a Marvel Helicarrier look. Rather than tune procedural wings I got lazy and just wanted to slap hull sections together

You can get the GN Drive mod on SpaceDock.

12 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I've started a new project up over the weekend, and its another warship replica! The name is currently a secret, anyone mind guessing what ship it is? (Title on top is a clue...)VqM250r.pngHere it is in the SPH in 1.0.5, the front is on the right. Unfortunately the ship seems to just straight up fall apart, which is why I am using KSP 1.1.3 in the test shot.9c6s2UD.png

I would guess the proposed (But never built) H-41 class German Battleship of the Kriegsmarine from WWII

A little thing I try to use where I can is ORV's (orbital Return Vehicles). my current one of choice is the Minow-2b. Its the successor to the Minow-2 but there is still room for improvement...

This craft will safely bring kerbals back from orbital operations, with monoprop tanks, 6 RCS nodes and supplies for Life Support.

9EvbveU.jpg

9yZUY1b.jpg

tykCGvN.jpg

ySfX4a6.jpg

@Mycroft ...Also, OPT is my favorite mod. Go get a different favorite. D:

OPT aside, here is an Alien Air Kart. I wanted to have a Koaster that works with Oxygen, after having designed two awesome Xenon Koasters (An all-stock one and a Near Future one) and the LFO Liquid Koaster with Tylo gear. The Mk2 parts are scaled to 0.75m and the radial VTOL engines supply just enough TWR to get off the ground. Air RCS handles the rest. I'd rather have one stacked engine underneath instead to spare myself the air particles and their performance draw, but that open node would be handy for something in utility, maybe a docking port. So far, in testing, I've found a decent high cruising speed of 70m/s with RCS bursts but I haven't gauged its travel range..which may be quite insane. I might also replace that probe core with the smaller one to it and have a sloped procedural section between it and the one full tank under it.

I may rename it from Kart to Koaster. It's not exactly fit for racing with its obvious aero flaws and weak engines.

I love how its shadow resembles the Phantom Zone ship from the Man of Steel movie. Didn't plan that but mission accomplished?!

ZFK4L7A.jpg

jAkKziY.jpg

195ktTu.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This little monstrosity is the STV-1 (Space Tourism Vehicle - 1) - built in 1.2 prerelease (career) and designed to take 4 tourists on a suborbital flight. Basically I got fed up cobbling together capsule based tourist systems, and built a glider. Im at that point in the tech tree where I havent got decent wheels so bigger planes are currently out of the plan..

Then I added a droptank and some engines. Then was pleasantly surprised as it made a 90km suborbital hop.

Basically its a glider strapped to a missile - very kerbal :-)

No landing gear, intended for water landing - has a set of chutes just in case it comes over land. 

Just performed its first very successful commercial flight, taking 4 sightseers up on a jaunt. Kerching!

CC5B0917DA8887531AB9ADA96D6B3F22D614827D

Edited by Kryten 2X4B 523P

Here's the progress over the past two days: I completed the hull for the Kormoran, modifying the hull so that torpedo and gun systems had a place to shoot. The guns work fine, although they pop through the deck sometimes.

RmW4h5K.png2NGbahb.png

Here it is in the VAB. For this project i've gone for a bit of a different process, one where I get to one step of construction, and then proceed to work on the next ship and get it to the same level, and so on. 

That is why i'm working on the hull of the HMAS Sydney now. Below you can see some of the hull frames I use to guide hull construction, though the following is only about a 1/3rd of the ship. (If you haven't guessed i'm planning on a pack to recreate the battle between Kormoran and Sydney.)

kaSsGRJ.png

Edited by SaturnianBlue

So I was experimenting with Procedural Wings, and having a really frustrating time of it (can I just say that the procedural control surfaces suck majorly) and I wanted to finish off a bomber I had set aside against the day I got around to downloading P-wings or some similar mod. Anyway, I was very frustrated with the awful way the control surfaces behaved, and thought: "You know? Screw this! I'll just drop the bombs and be done! At least I get explosions out of it." So I started dropping the bombs. But I was going way too fast, so they hit a rack of bombs I had on the back of the cargo bay. What followed made the Big Bang look small by comparison. Jeb would have loved it. But then the explosions didn't stop. They just got bigger and bigger. KSP turned my bomber into a flying, constant explosion. 

rjL1i4y.jpg 

BEST. GLITCH. EVAR!!

uYh7Jzm.jpg

Who needs more boosters when you can have MOAR EXPLOSIONS!!!

1VetzeH.jpg 

WfugwqJ.jpg 

After a while, this trail of... explosions... started to look like something that would put Destruction FX to shame.

mD8iBke.jpg 

That is possibly one of my favorite KSP pictures ever.

Building a stock carrier with elevators and hangar deck isn't very easy. I mean building is easy but as soon as I'm 50 meters from the shore KSP 1.2 explodes the carrier.

Specs: length 140, beam 24, height 28. Part count without rolling support structure: 1220. Mass tanks full: 2.1 kton. Mass tanks empty: 0.6 kton. Elevators are not functional yet.

68BazkW.png

C1E0Xcw.png

24 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Building a stock carrier with elevators and hangar deck isn't very easy. I mean building is easy but as soon as I'm 50 meters from the shore KSP 1.2 explodes the carrier.

Specs: length 140, beam 24, height 28. Part count without rolling support structure: 1220. Mass tanks full: 2.1 kton. Mass tanks empty: 0.6 kton. Elevators are not functional yet.

68BazkW.png

C1E0Xcw.png

Maybe vessel mover? Does 1.2 support it?

Sector 7 Space Laboratories

Space Dock 7

Space Dock 7 was a project that I started along with Energy Source and The Bridge Construction Set and it never got an official release. As for now the launcher was changed to give better control which is working great, lights were reduced to lower part count and docking ports for fuel tanks were added. I was planning to use Energy Source for delivery of the mobile fuel tanks but I was arriving with too little fuel. I decided to use Rocketry and chose Space Tech for this Mission. This is working and I now have enough fuel to make rendezvous with lots of fuel remaining for the Space Dock's Fuel Transfers. My first complication is the Docking Ports for the fuel tanks, they are obstructed and not allowing the tanks to dock properly. I did notice this could have been a problem but took the gamble because the tanks were connecting in the Hangar, lesson well learned. The Dock is near complete, I may attempt to put it in orbit around the Mun or Minmus.

The New Launcher

F0IP1wj.png

The Mobile Tanks Propellant ran out during a test run and I decided to Dock it with Space Tech, this was a lot of fun but a very slow process compared to using the Mobile Tanks own power. See Mobile Tanks in action here

00H5Lec.png

Arriving at Space Dock 7

U3MXdmn.png

Dock Ports Obstructed

XKnvQl6.png

More Photos

Edited by Castille7
Added Mobile Tanks Link

I've been on a Soviet ships phase recently. The Vostok and updated N1 have been sitting in my VAB since 1.0.5 at least, and recently I've had the urge to complete them. The X-20 has also been sitting around for a while. TKS and Soyuz-Tare new builds.
 Going to try my hand at either Salyut or Mir next. Probably will release these when 1.2 rolls round, but no promises.

screenshot9606_zps0yqcm0jj.png

screenshot9579_zpsf8ygqycv.png

screenshot8994_zpsmkf01hyv.png

screenshot9357_zpswfoavj3j.png

screenshot9441_zpshyfshtcv.png

screenshot9131_zpsrkm5ubvb.png

screenshot9157_zpsvzoddiwd.png

SECTOR 7 SPACE LABORATORIES
SPACE DOCK 7 UPDATE
(Docking Ports Repaired)

OSHA Write Up
Can you believe this on KSP? OSHA is writing me up for having the Fuel Tanks to close to the Docking Area and they just telling me this NOW!! :mad:

l6rNjMT.png

Staging Off Launcher, still working on the lighting

75v7CeJ.png

Edited by Castille7

EJ_SA named his carrier after me, so my newest carrier is the EJ_SA class. Stock but helluvalotta parts and heavy WIP. Dual elevator called the "simpulvator". It's got a sort of catapult as well called the "catapusht" which is just 6 jet engines. Lot of joints to fix as well. The jets are easy to fly and land, subsonic but STOL.

8OjMuUV.png

s0SdvHm.png

ltNc4CY.png

THLYtrO.png

47 minutes ago, Azimech said:

EJ_SA named his carrier after me, so my newest carrier is the EJ_SA class. Stock but helluvalotta parts and heavy WIP. Dual elevator called the "simpulvator". It's got a sort of catapult as well called the "catapusht" which is just 6 jet engines. Lot of joints to fix as well. The jets are easy to fly and land, subsonic but STOL.

I can not begin to imagine all the challenges this one is giving you :confused: I am loving the internal structural work.