Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I've practically finished HMAS Sydney and Kormoran, all there is left is some painting and potential welding of the torpedo tubes and cranes I installed on the two ships. I placed all the guns aboard both ships, added the seaplane crane to the HMAS Sydney, finished the rigging, installed custom built torpedo tubes (so the turret had the correct amount of tubes), and covered up the armaments on Kormoran in the way it really did using Infernal Robotics. (With sliding doors for armaments on the side which concealed the ship and had the deck guns covered up with a hinge mechanism) 

The sliding mechanism in motionsJ84FMQ.gif

A closer look on the torpedo tube doors and the guns on the deck

AYVUnwO.png

Torpedo Launch

H0jNwZD.png

A closer look on the HMAS Sydney's torpedoes

qUEcjw3.png

This shot shows the seaplane crane, and if you look closely, you can see the AA guns (there was no "stacked" quadruple turret AA gun, so I just took 4 single turret ones and stacked them on top of each other!MovqprY.png

raJzxmw.png

Kicking off 1.2 with something I've wanted to do for years. Until the Vector was added, I had to hold off because there were no engines that powerful enough to lift a Saturn I and small enough to fit on the first stage.

ht2o2ys.png

With a string of projects that had nothing to do with space (some of which didn't even get finished), I figured it's time to get back to the game's intended purpose.

vYE2L81.jpgykWDXFW.png

I also found an opportunity to check out the new communications system in 1.2, even though it wasn't historically accurate to launch a payload on this configuration of the Saturn I.

Spoiler

Blooper of the Day

wAWGkj6.png

Struts. Never forget 'em.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Kicking off 1.2 with something I've wanted to do for years. Until the Vector was added, I had to hold off because there were no engines that powerful enough to lift a Saturn I and small enough to fit on the first stage.

With a string of projects that had nothing to do with space (some of which didn't even get finished), I figured it's time to get back to the game's intended purpose.

I also found an opportunity to check out the new communications system in 1.2, even though it wasn't historically accurate to launch a payload on this configuration of the Saturn I.

Hide contents

Blooper of the Day

Struts. Never forget 'em.

I really enjoyed this! I love the radiator fairing!

Setting up my Kerbal Tourism fleet, with this behemoth of a fuel tanker having just settled into orbit waiting for its launch window to Jool to act as a refueling hub for ion drive starliners that will be heading that way soon.

o1Z4pGkB.jpg CqwVj1wE.jpg VEAaEsas.jpg qrcdx2E5.jpg

Calling it the Walrus.

Saturn I with Apollo Command Module boilerplate. Still have some kinks to work out, namely the connection between the CM and the S-IV stage. The S-I stage has so far performed without any problems on both variants I've tested. 

v4RdmCE.png

Also, it looks like parachutes collide with each other now!

ZPBaqY1.png

StarLab-7

The plan is to build an interplanetary space station which will have two ring stations spinning in opposite direction. The core is a swivel that's working well at the moment but after the rings are attached and spinning this might not be the case. Next I will launch the Xenon Gas powered sections and dock them on each side. These are being built next.

StarLab-7 Core Section in Kerbin Orbit

4dtywH8.png

Mission Complete

Edited by Castille7

Long post in 3.. 2... 1...

(Sorry about the profile pic. I'm trying to look for a decent one..)

I set some time off to work on the airliners. Way, way, way better than working on WW2 planes. And besides, 747s are nice.

The main reason I built the B747-100 was to serve as a framework for the SCA which I have perfected (not really) over the past few weeks. But it also served as an excuse to release a "747 family" thread.. which I haven't done. Great!

The Shuttle was a little longer and larger than the "normal" design for an orbiter you usually see, and so it's a *little* disproportionate.

But it separates from the 747 flawlessly and flies really well.

QSWFsv1.png

LBnuWKh.png

So far, the B747 family's close to completion, but the B747-8 is something i just.. don't have the morale to do.

Look at that thing. It's no longer economical in this time and age, where the B777 and A330 thrive in long-range. My friends and I agree that the Intercontinental version might fail in sales. Why still build it?

Moving on!

I started work on the Aerospatiale-BAC Concorde. My tests had infinite fuel and electricity on, though, so it wasn't a true test. It needed 340 m/s to break the sound barrier... I got it to 320.

4TSnyy1.png

And perhaps the most importantly, I'm at work on a cinematic right now -- A trailer for my airliners.

t0WXnDf.png

(If you're observant, you can see that the fuselages aren't full length. I wanted to make it look like the scene had airliners parked near each other, yet didn't want my computer running at snail pace, and filmed at night so that the shadows wouldn't appear.

SPd2atm.jpg

This one's a setup for an engine under maintenance.

XBFvMyY.png

Still far from completion though. Give me.. two weeks? I guess?

Edited by Columbia

More Saturn I and Apollo Boilerplate tests

Qx43iWq.png

I'm still dealing with the sturdiness of the rocket, especially on the fairing connecting the S-IV to the boilerplate.

6ODWL0M.png

FkktTEx.png

Since it looks like parachutes don't clip through each other anymore, I replaced the radial mount ones with these, to better represent Apollo parachutes.

Blooper of the Day

72A7gRb.png

"Escape" Tower

StarLab-7 Update

First I would like to mention I am bringing this project into the new 1.2 version of KSP. @The Aziz After taking a look at The Aziz's Idea it made me take a second look at my first swivel design for StarLab-7. This setup is looking cleaner at the moment and I've also noticed if I spread the wheels out towards the edges of the batteries it should help with the strength to decrease the chances of wobble. I will update later when more progress is done.

rhWrpSx.png

Mission Complete

Edited by Castille7

Well made a new dropship for the newly designed tank destroyer i made yestreday.  Anyone know what its based upon (its not a 100% authentic replica but its literally as close as i could get without going insane with parts)?  Engine layout should be a pretty obvious give-away.  Also, ignore the fact that its capable of carrying vehicles, real one could only transport troops and didnt have a hollow inside.

vqU7Tls.png

nl0X0Vs.png

xvb1FGz.png

aYPEl4F.png

If it wasnt barely controllable, had some sort of dV, and didnt require over 200 parts (using oscar-Bs on anything larger then a starfighter is a very bad move), then i could be happy with it as it is.  Gonna spend some time overhauling this thing to give it decent capabilities while hopefully cutting the part count and still keeping the general look and shape of the thing.  End result will most likely end up a little bit more inspired by then an actual replica, but im defenetely gonna keep the hull layout and the exterior engine layout.

I think I finally worked out the kinks with the Saturn I and Apollo boilerplate. I do have one question regarding it though; if I turn on advanced tweakables in settings and then use it to apply autostruts to a craft, will the autostruts still be in place if the craft is downloaded by someone else?

Anyway, here's the third and final variant of Saturn I. Apollo CM boilerplate with a Pegasus micrometeorite satellite.

nmuQd9u.jpg

BQWpgRf.png

This is the first time I haven't executed a high altitude abort with the escape tower. It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure the Pegasus launches carried the CM all the way into orbit.

TngLTHu.png

Boilerplate separation. The S-IV has two sepratrons with a small amount of fuel in them to push the stage away from the boilerplate.

DfVHwIo.png

Pegasus deployed. Too bad the game doesn't have a real micrometeorite detector, I had to settle for solar panels instead.

oWVNDYr.png

Meanwhile the boilerplate slowly drifts away as it transmits telemetry back to the ground. This particular model has no parachutes, and is not meant to survive reentry.

A few more checks and tests to make sure everything is good here and then it's on to the Saturn IB!

8 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

if I turn on advanced tweakables in settings and then use it to apply autostruts to a craft, will the autostruts still be in place if the craft is downloaded by someone else?

Yup, I asked that question too and it was confirmed that those settings are preserved in the craft file.

StarLab-7 Update

I've updated the previous swivel by extending the wheel bearings to the edge of the batteries, this swivel is now working great. I was having a little bug trouble in 1.2. After returning to the craft from a saved game using the Tracking Station the craft separated into three sections, I found a walk around by returning to the saved game using F9 rather than using the Tracking Station. I decided to build the swivel and the power plant as one piece to reduce the complications, the results are here in this video. The Dawn Engines are giving too much spin so I will only use two per side for continuous rotation. If you did not see the first post, the plan for this project is to have a Double Ring Interplanetary Space Station with the Rings spinning in opposite directions.

Edited by Castille7

First Saturn IB test flight, with uncrewed Block I Apollo spacecraft.

s6hObiM.png

First Saturn IB launch failure, and first emergency abort for an Apollo spacecraft

qGpdM5W.png

Can someone tell me whether or not the S-IVB had any form of RCS on it? It was very diffuclt to control and began spinning out of control as soon as it ignited. Of course, that may have been because one of the SLA fairings was flopping all around the place because I neglected to apply struts, but still...

I took the HMAS Sydney out for a spin and everything is working well - except for the fact that when I launch the torpedoes, 50% of the time they explode when they hit the water. This was not happening when I tried it earlier, so I will have to do more testing to find the cause.

Turning the tubes into position

AvkJi9e.png

Releasing the tubes, and having a bit of the custom torpedo tube explodetMGHlBt.png

A huge explosion as the torpedo explodes when it hits the water. Sometimes it does moderate superstructure damage to the area around it, other times it almost completely wipes the middle superstructure and heavily damages the hull too.

DHzEaBy.png

Another major problem I face is whether to use Kerbpaint or not. Right now my 1.0.5 seems to act very weird, and I don't know if 1.0.5 can handle the load of the two ships even if I fix it. I certainly don't know if Kerbpaint will get updated to 1.2, or if it will work on OS X. Any input on what to do would help. (I should set up a thread for the ships soon.)

WSH-500 WingShip

I once built this craft in an older version of KSP and it was looking terrible so I put it on the back burner (left it alone for a while). I found it on the internet, it's built by a Korean Manufacturer. Recently I thought about a better way to build it and this craft is now looking much better than my first go at it, and handling amazingly well, I was surprised to say the least during it's first testing.

GUzD5oK.png

912284_128887_5314.jpg

Spoiler

PTI9G2t.png

wZyQ0BY.png

K7MMLSq.png

Edited by Castille7

I managed to get Kormoran working in KSP 1.0.5 (So I could use Kerbpaint on my MacBook Pro) although the Infernal robotics part that lets the torpedo tubes gets badly messed up most of the time. I was able to paint the Kormoran (though I had to guess the paint scheme on a couple parts). Overall it is fine, but I wonder if it will be able to operate with HMAS Sydney. Xj6YbXq.pngw7eu19T.pngKjOCZuK.png

Well ive managed to make a version of the following which im quite happy with in the part count and functionality dept.

qFE8nBX.png

The scale is beyond completely off though so i guess ill call it a "Chibi" Cylon-Basestar.  At least I managed to get the majority of function the real thing had, and it looks pretty close to the real thing too (ofc within stock part limitations).  Currently equipped with 6 fighter slots (1.2m hardpoints that can accept any fighter that isnt excessively large and or has stuff sticking past the docking port), 12 0.6m hardpoints internally for simple guided missiles (can be used to carry extra ammo for fighters if you dont want or need actual weapons on the carrier itself).

AUgipE0.png

The best part is that i actually managed to create some armor (something every older version lacked), not alot and i never expected it to tank tons of fire (its a carrier afterall), but its not as easy to kill as you would expect for something using MK2 parts as primary armor plating.  This is what was left after ~6-8 direct hits from ibeam weapons, yeah one of the arms is totalled and another is heavily damaged, but given that many other ships should have been dead from that much firepower, i think its great armor on a carrier...

H6yOIYb.png

Survived a ramming attack from a 40t subcapital ship at 100m/s too (and i actually managed to ram it straight up the arss where the engines and critical stuff is located so that would count as a direct hit to known weakspot).  Not bad at all.

pZQv4es.png

It actually looks more pretty damaged then fully functional imo :D...