Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Been working on the ITS for almost a week now

16BFtRo.png

Still working on second stage; I have no idea how much delta-v it has since MechJeb does not work with 1.2 so I'll be holding off the release. Other than that I added grid-fins and solar panels. Also experimenting with the cockpit, so this pic may look different from future ones. Here it is on the pad - 

5uxFQp9.png

First stage engine configuration - 

GwRyBgd.png

(Yes I know this one only has 41 engines and the real one has 61. Base was not big enough and I tried to get them close enough where they started to clip each other)

Second Stage - 

r5RBF4R.png

The 6 engines on the outside are LV-T45s and the inner 4 are LV-909s. I'll probably just calculate the delta-v. (Remember it needs to do a Transfer burn, then aerobrake, then actually land)

Edited by Munbro Kerman

Since the last update, I was able to paint the HMAS Sydney, and I also worked on the small boats of both Kormoran and HMAS Sydney. I welded them and they came out appearing perfect,(although I obviously cannot paint them part by part) and in fact the Kormoran's motor boat actually moves well. I also welded (using the welding mod) the crane aboard Sydney, and also welded the rigging aboard Cormorant, which helped reduce part count quite a bit. I also removed some parts on the Sydney that I deemed unnecessary (tiny details, some struts that emulated the rigging). I also tried to weld the torpedo tubes on both ships but only the "barrel" part of the tubes came out well, so I could only weld part of it, which allowed some part reduction but not as much as I hoped. Still, the past few days have been a success, reducing parts and adding big details and letting me prepare for filming the actual battle scenes

The painted HMAS Sydney in almost all of it's glory

4wFD4lK.png

I painted the boats a grey color, which i figured would serve as the best "general color" for the boats (although if you disagree, please point out what color might be better)

xMBOCyY.png1ZohTmv.png

Kormoran's little boats (also if you are wondering why my ships have names like "Kormoran 18", it's because that's how many craft files I have of the ship (so if my latest one gets corrupted I could quickly revert to an earlier one)

EC8ByJE.png

On 10/21/2016 at 9:55 PM, Jetenginestar said:

I built a freighter, using 2 Cargo Bays for extra space..

Holy crap.. that's so cool.

Will you be able to get the nose to lift as it did IRL?

I'm working on similar things as the guy above, except not as beautiful ^^

(note, the first paragraph was written a week ago so it might sound outdated; It's been like a week since the events described)

From a combination of finishing the cinematic, getting inspired by pTrevTrevs and deciding it was a good idea to celebrate in some way the new ties between the Philippines and Russia (not too happy about breaking ties with the US though) I decided to start work on a Soyuz again.

I'll admit, it is a majestic pain in the ass trying to get everything to stage as accurately as it should be. But that's why we have the internet..

The capsules themselves were a breeze to build..

dgsrOlJ.png

..Except I had seriously considered that the Soyuz module might not have an engine after all due to lack of the images of it.

The lower stages were hard though. I used vectors a lot, and IIRC they're gonna get an overhaul soon. Which would probably break the heck out of this rocket.

UOjRJPS.png

This is one of the most erratic rockets I've ever flown, only second to my impossible-to-control Saturn V (Skylab) replica.

It's boosters separate almost flawlessly though.

4W04wRo.png

Edited by Columbia

Early WIP.

9HaqgIQ.png

WDUUCGF.png

The kerbals will look silly in this. The car is twice the size of the original. But with these wheels, the dimensions are almost perfect. And while the original was made copying elements of jet fighters, this one has Juno's at the rear, giving it a top speed close to the original (200 kph).

On 27-10-2016 at 0:20 AM, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Any helpful tips how to make this try-hard Formula 1 car look any better (Atleast for me it looks awful) Hopefully it looks the same to you :D RuccPaP.png

Which time period is your inspiration? And how's the performance? I would start with making the rear wheels even wider.

Here's mine, maybe it helps?

Zy9nYct.png

fgYuN3Y.png

58 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Which time period is your inspiration? And how's the performance? I would start with making the rear wheels even wider.

Here's mine, maybe it helps?

Zy9nYct.png

fgYuN3Y.png

My F1 was based on the most recent designs 2016 to be precise. Over the time, I've condensed the long nose, it can handle around 38 m/s due to excessive drag forces from the curvature of the wings. It's light as a feather, good at drifting and tends to break since it's low to the ground and made for the flats :). Love your 70s design though, classics always look better!

Air Racing Project
Update 10.28.16

@katateochi Katateochi posted this cool idea for an Air Racing course, see the post here. This gave me an idea to make some Pylons to add to the course. The plan is to release mobile Pylons so others can build their own course. A craft will also be released to use for the course or you could build one for better performance. This Thread will be started in hopes to have others sharing their unique craft builds and action pictures for Air Racing. Below is a Course built with the Water Pylons and some action shots.

ovEp77Y.png

1ZGWOJC.png

brVX9NY.png

Spoiler

m11WJCf.png

fKLUGkE.png

pLynQps.png

k34rqfo.png

Edited by Castille7

10 hours ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

My F1 was based on the most recent designs 2016 to be precise. Over the time, I've condensed the long nose, it can handle around 38 m/s due to excessive drag forces from the curvature of the wings. It's light as a feather, good at drifting and tends to break since it's low to the ground and made for the flats :). Love your 70s design though, classics always look better!

You're using one Juno? I'm using two. Top speed is 82m/s. I've made mine to drift not a lot which is odd because I like the old footage of those seventies cars drifting. The ride height is also pretty high so it can survive some jumping. Just drove around the KSC for a while, it's a blast, even though quite heavy. Mass with full tanks is 3.59t, empty tanks it's 3.09t, excluding kerbal. I've changed the boost flap, response time is now 0.1s instead of 1.2s.

ShJ7t5I.png

KTUEkmg.png

You know what, let's use this test circuit and if the guy isn't interested in creating a class for us, we'll create a challenge ourselves.

Edited by Azimech

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

You're using one Juno? I'm using two. Top speed is 82m/s. I've made mine to drift not a lot which is odd because I like the old footage of those seventies cars drifting. The ride height is also pretty high so it can survive some jumping. Just drove around the KSC for a while, it's a blast, even though quite heavy. Mass with full tanks is 3.59t, empty tanks it's 3.09t, excluding kerbal. I've changed the boost flap, response time is now 0.1s instead of 1.2s.

ShJ7t5I.png

KTUEkmg.png

You know what, let's use this test circuit and if the guy isn't interested in creating a class for us, we'll create a challenge ourselves.

That would be a great challenge! I only used one juno engine from the rear center with only one fuel tank, around 2.35 tons. Another problem I am having is that the mirror function isn't working anymore: IE If I mirror, the two parts go onto one side but different y axis... its complicated and a bug I think... I will update this post when I get a screenshot of it. 

lSrVF6f.png

3Cnu8rR.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7
Pics

12 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

That would be a great challenge! I only used one juno engine from the rear center with only one fuel tank, around 2.35 tons. Another problem I am having is that the mirror function isn't working anymore: IE If I mirror, the two parts go onto one side but different y axis... its complicated and a bug I think... I will update this post when I get a screenshot of it. 

lSrVF6f.png

3Cnu8rR.png

That's probably going to be a (partial) rebuild. Not that bad though, all those angled wing parts are incredibly draggy.

Anyway, I just made a track. Whadda ya guys think?

7p2QcPK.png

2 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Anyway, I just made a track. Whadda ya guys think?

7p2QcPK.png

A great composition of turns and straights for cars that excel in one aspect. My only problem I see with it is loosely enforced turning IE 6 - 7 (Under the assumption checkpoints go by numerical order :D) Sounds a bit weird to say it but connect the dots as a guidance for the drivers, it's just my preference though :)  

1 hour ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

I guess a complete recall of all current models and going for a less detailed, more general curvature approach really makes the difference! I sort of favor this one even more: And it goes 100 m/s

SvTEqWT.pngEo5ccmK.pngSbI2L6A.png

The blending of the tires look awesome, that made a really nice difference!

2 hours ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

A great composition of turns and straights for cars that excel in one aspect. My only problem I see with it is loosely enforced turning IE 6 - 7 (Under the assumption checkpoints go by numerical order :D) Sounds a bit weird to say it but connect the dots as a guidance for the drivers, it's just my preference though :)  

Well the idea with 6 is that you drive past the VAB on your left side, then you'll have to make a 90 turn left to get to 7. Otherwise you'd have to make a 180 to get to 8, which is much slower.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Well the idea with 6 is that you drive past the VAB on your left side, then you'll have to make a 90 turn left to get to 7. Otherwise you'd have to make a 180 to get to 8, which is much slower.

I suppose so, its really up to the drivers choice to make the most rational decisions. Also, while recording a video about this (should be in your inbox), I found this weird visual glitch (The wheels still drive forward it looks hilarious). Simply turn the wheels fully then hit 8xs speed or 16xs, the wheels then keep that position, keep repeating until you get the desired result! :D  

gCUt2Tq.png

30 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

I suppose so, its really up to the drivers choice to make the most rational decisions. Also, while recording a video about this (should be in your inbox), I found this weird visual glitch (The wheels still drive forward it looks hilarious). Simply turn the wheels fully then hit 8xs speed or 16xs, the wheels then keep that position, keep repeating until you get the desired result! :D  

gCUt2Tq.png

:0.0:

You broke KSP again? :confused:

I decided that I need to redo the N1, so here it is

ZFOK8L8.png

WUO5gNE.png

Now 81 meters tall and I reduced the part count by 30%, so my computer should be more happy, but, now it won't even load on the launchpad, any suggestions?. ;.;

Edited by Munbro Kerman