Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Check it out. This plane flies disturbingly well and the rock solid wheelless bearing make it a blast to do aerobatics with.

SFP3w9v.pnghttp://imgur.com/a/H1ygm

I call it a turboprop trainer because it mimics the flight characteristics and performance of real turboprop aircraft without all the hassle of maintaining an engine.

Kerbal Power Boat Racing Project
Update 11.14.2016

This is a test run with Panic Attack, I like the Buoys, these will probably not change. The craft isn't getting the handling and speed I would like at the moment but really fun as is.

Aircraft Hauler

I often put big projects aside for a little while to get a rest from the brain strain and build smaller stuff between these projects. Today I saw a Cessna Aircraft and this has been on my to do list for a long time now. I've also been wanting to see the Airport look like a busy one with some Aircraft on the outside, so one thing lead to another.

qB7TeXj.png

VnXc724.png

Having finished off my Balls 8 + X-15 combo craft, I decided that the poor F-18 was probably feeling left out, since I had skipped from the F-16 to the F-22. Not being able to decide whether to make the Hornet or the Super Hornet, I decided why not both? Anyway, I decided to start with the Super Hornet. It's coming along nicely.

PdeyWkb.jpg

The long narrow bubble canopy is proving hard to make right though.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

5 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Having finished off my Balls 8 + X-15 combo craft, I decided that the poor F-18 was probably feeling left out, since I had skipped from the F-16 to the F-22. Not being able to decide whether to make the Hornet or the Super Hornet, I decided why not both? Anyway, I decided to start with the Super Hornet. It's coming along nicely.

The long narrow bubble canopy is proving hard to make right though.

Try adding clipped in air intakes (like the round front mountable one) to the front of the clipped cockpits to fix the rigidness of the fronts and backs of those.

Edited by He_162

I have been working on a lifter for a 1000 ton fuel cargo, and It has been going well, the cargo refuses to stay put, and spaghettifies all the time, does anyone have a hint or tip as to why the top stage (the cargo) despite having 40 struts attaching every part to the stage below it, wants to wiggle?

http://imgur.com/a/XmhM9

dEqXFsf.png

I'm designing it for my new heavy lifters project here, feel free to have a look on my older lifters, and tell me how my WIP is coming.

9 hours ago, He_162 said:

I have been working on a lifter for a 1000 ton fuel cargo, and It has been going well, the cargo refuses to stay put, and spaghettifies all the time, does anyone have a hint or tip as to why the top stage (the cargo) despite having 40 struts attaching every part to the stage below it, wants to wiggle?

http://imgur.com/a/XmhM9

dEqXFsf.png

I'm designing it for my new heavy lifters project here, feel free to have a look on my older lifters, and tell me how my WIP is coming.

have u tried autostrut

StarLab-7
Update: 11.19.16

This project began as plans to be a Ring Space Station with the rings spinning in opposite direction. The plan was to build it as a three piece section with the center being one piece and the two outer rings, this changed to a single launch Station. As the ring was being built I had an idea to change it up a bit and this called for a renaming of the Station, StarLab-7 is now StarLab-Matador. Another change that is in the works will be for the oval living section to decouple from the main section in case an emergency escape is needed. At the moment I have the Station in an awkward Orbit but stable. Next I will make an attempt to decouple the sections and see if it will spin as intended and also decouple the oval sections to see if they will travel through space.

HSTanHn.png

Spoiler

7abJTXU.png

Mission Complete

Edited by Castille7

So I ordered a new CPU, and GPU, and power supply a few days ago, this means I will then be able to record my KSP ventures, I would like to know what I should do for my first recording, I have a list:

1.) The monster: "He969 "MJ"" (My 1kT lifter)

2.) A build video of a N1-L3 replica

3.) Some other idea!

Let me know what I should do with my new hardware! :)

Pictures of craft (or similar)
https://kerbalx.com/He_162/He969-MJ

https://kerbalx.com/He_162/N2 (new one would be a revised, completely new version)

jyeIpuJ.png

The fourth ship I've built so far using that Nuclear Lightbulb engine, 532 parts and over 370 tons. Just need to get it into space before I post it and one or two other ships also using the Lightbulb (I used hyperedit for the pic)

The lifer will probably look something like this (pic is of predecessor). The side struts will prevent it from falling apart, and the huge, ugly mound of boosters on the bottom will blast it into space.  

I was thinking about making a separate WIP post for this, but since i like to only post projects that are complete/work as intended, i might as well put it here instead.

This time i'm bringing back an old project.

Yep, the KBM-300 Kerbhour launch system is going to return better than ever before.

I would have probably done a lot more with that project if it weren't for the infernal new wheel physics making the ruggedised wheels quite non rugged.

Plus, the downtime between a major update and mods getting updated makes the "ooh, i wanna do this and that" type excitement just sort of dissapear... because i cant get to do "this and that"... because mod X hasn't been updated yet.

Anyway, here's where it's at the moment.

First i made myself a new save with all the stuff related to this project and took a look at some crafts to make sure they are not corrupted/bugged.

First one i checked out was the mobile command trailer. Making sure that everything works in the editor was good enough of a confirmation that all the stuff still "works".

After seeing that the command trailer still works, i went and made sure that the main star of this project still works.

And i'm happy to say it does still work, tough it does need some major impovements.

a6gBpFx.png

The Kahack still works like a beauty, it's super smooth, responsive and it's impossible to lose control, even at high speeds :cool: (max speed of this thing without the trailer is somewhere between 30-35 m/s).

So as far as the tow tractor goes, unless i encounter problems with the hitching mechanism, it will remain unchanged.

And the reason why i haven't tested it with the trailer is...well,

7RxHe2C.png

the back tires popped straight away, and all but one landing leg blew up when i deployed them.

But, at least the IR bits still work, that's the important thing :D.

And also this happened.

LYRmzTH.png

You can see that i parked the Kahack a little too close to the launcher.

There are a couple more project that im working on right now.

The first one is one that i have actually completed, but witch just needs a special post of sorts.

So, presenting Tornado-X, the latest creation from Miles Kerman himself. And trust me, your gonna like this one.

F8mCmR4.png

Im gonna leave the stats as a surprise. But let's just say that it has some amazing fiqures :wink:.

So stay in the lookout for that.

The second one is a project that was supposed to be done by now, and one that you might have gotten a sneak peek (not really) of if you checked the post i made about the autosave feature.

I am currently working on a Kerbal scale replica of the SMS Königsberg (1927 one). And as some might have guessed from the text above, my game crashed and corrupted the craft file ;.;.

This time it was so bad that nothing was salvageable :(.

Luckily i had made most of the components of the ship separately and had saved them as subassemblies, so not everything was lost :wink:.

Here's a drawing of the actual ship.

c98iusq.jpg

And here are some picks of me testing these various subassemblies

Main turret

Spoiler

zaDGFZP.png

Torpedo tubes

Spoiler

82slULO.png

I couldn't use torpedoes in this scale, so i used rockets instead. And by tilting them a bit, i was able to get them to fire at a "believable" range (usual range for german torpedoes of that time was somewhere between 5-6km).

kAp1t4h.png

Dual purpouse secondary batteries

Spoiler

dr50zlQ.png

This one is a bit more special since the guns in this one can be rotated up and down as-well. So in theory, if your aim is good enough, it can be used as an AA gun.

I was supposed to do a test with this against an American torpedo bomber....but, when i switched vessels...this happened.

LZb20bs.png

Oh you Kraken, always there to bring a bit of humor in to our day by destroying our game.

Aircraft catapult

Spoiler

YDH8imp.png

In case you are wondering, that Catapult is 10m long.

vNqkSuz.png

And yes, it does work :cool:.

pbPwUZp.png

Just takes a real good kick and good timing to make it work.

But you also do need a darn good seaplane as-well.

Seaplane

Spoiler

I said it was impossible, or at least i taught it was impossible...well, turns out it isn't afterall.

I finally made a single engined prop powered seaplane that works.

NvftQHR.png

(Don't worry, it's normal for it to sink like that).

And you know what the best thing is, in order to takeoff from water, you simply put SAS on, put full thrust and take your hands off the keyboard :cool:.

Yep, it takes off without pilot assistance.

BbA3pIj.png

The aircraft that was used on the Königsberg and the one i was supposed to replicate, was the Heinkel He-60.

But due to the scale being so small, i  went with a custom one instead.

So as you can see, there's lots of neat stuff coming in the near future.

Im also happy to announce that i am finally able to return back to a more frequent posting schedule. First i had to wait for mods to get updated, then there was a huge project that ate all my weekends for about two months.

But now that those are taken care of, i can finally start to clear my pile of "need to post" stuff :D:D:D.

Edited by kapteenipirk
1:00 am + writing = typos.

I'm working on some large cubesat-inspired probes.

fzKEEIY.jpg

KLwKHfX.jpg

The size options will be 1U, 1.5U (pictured), 2U and 3U. There will also be smaller size ones using the 1x1 panels in sizes 1U, 2U, and 3U. What will be contained within them will vary depending on the mission, as will the launch vehicle. The one above is designed for a mid-game Dres orbiter mission (it has just over 2km/s to make orbit; the Dres transfer stage is separate and would be integrated into the launch vehicle), and contains a small lander.

The idea of integrating the lander into the main probe was vaguely inspired by Cassini-Huygens, though the prototype doesn't really resemble Cassini. It is probable that I will make a more Cassini-like version using a small 3U design, for missions to Jool (with Laythe lander) and Sarnus (with Tekto lander), as well as vaguely Galileo-inspired probes for all four outer planets with atmospheric entry probes for the gas giants.

This is mid-game probe infrastructure, and will be used for autonomous science collection and landings everywhere (or atmospheric entry probes in the case of the gas planets), as well as setting up a communications network for the entire Kerbol system. Commsats will be placed at the L4 and L5 points of most planets, as well as in constellations within every planetary system (though Moho and the planets beyond Jool will not get large constellation networks until near to the late-game).

I've also been playing around with Eve SSTOs for an 0.8x scale Eve (I wanted the planet to be more like Venus simply so that I don't have to resort to using KR&D to make a fully reusable Eve infrastructure). Though I don't have any images currently, I've found that around 5500m/s is needed to leave this version of Eve (the surface pressure is still 5atm even though the surface gravity is only about 0.81g). I've been using a huge toroidal aerospike from Modular Pod Extensions, and have found that it's quite capable of propelling a 3-kerbal SSTO from the surface of Eve with fuel to spare. That being said, the prototype currently has no method of landing other than propulsively, so it may be necessary to alter my design. I also want larger numbers of crew, which again will necessitate some design changes.

Edited by eloquentJane