Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

11 minutes ago, andrew123 said:

Breech loading 460 / 480 mm canon, with the breech loading system almost complete. For the canon shell casings, I'm going to try and make them disintegrating. 

CPQhGJY.png

As for the elevation mechanism, I'm probably going to have to use jet assisted SAS gears. @Azimech, I might have to ask for you help on this. :wink:

Otherwise, it seems that this specific version of KSP crashes every time I try to load the canon. I'll play around with it a bit and see what's up, though a smaller design I've built before never had these issues.

The actual specs of the Yamato's primary guns are impressive. :0.0:

jeBjJ2A.png

That's a very interesting idea, I think I'd like to spend some brain cycles on that.

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

Mzzc8CF.png

Whoaaa Azimech, you're a master! That was the car of my grand-father (not in GT of course) underpowered with its 90 hp diesel engine. I will always remember how we drove him crazy every time by touching the hydropneumatic suspension stick inside, lowering it to the minimum (but working with the car engine to give the pump enough pressure). So everytime he was starting the old BX the car suddenly lowered and we were hearing him yelling some kind of "You bunch a little... !!!".

To bad he decided to replace her one day by a Citroën Xantia, less confortable and no spoiler on... but still the specific manufacturer suspension in, haha!!!

Just now, XB-70A said:

Whoaaa Azimech, you're a master! That was the car of my grand-father (not in GT of course) underpowered with its 90 hp diesel engine. I will always remember how we drove him crazy every time by touching the hydropneumatic suspension stick inside, lowering it to the minimum (but working with the car engine to give the pump enough pressure). So everytime he was starting the old BX the car suddenly lowered and we were hearing him yelling some kind of "You bunch a little... !!!".

To bad he decided to replace her one day by a Citroën Xantia, less confortable and no spoiler on... but still the specific manufacturer suspension in, haha!!!

That's a cool story :-) Great fun to keep the brake on while it's rising, the front will go but the rear shoots up when you release the brake pedal, the passengers will be surprised and then laugh.

I've replaced the stock 1.9 petrol engine with a 1.8 turbodiesel and automatic transmission, same hp :-)

The name of my car: Flying Frankenstein.

Just now, Azimech said:

That's a cool story :-)

He was a old and really proud veteran from the Army only buying French car. I remember one time we just past by a stopped Mercedez SL (maybe a 320) with warning light on and him just howling at the poor guy "You should have buy French!". It was so easy to make him turns crazy :)

Just now, Azimech said:

I've replaced the stock 1.9 petrol engine with a 1.8 turbodiesel and automatic transmission, same hp :-)

No way, you have a BX? They became such are piece of history now, the poor quality of metals use by the French or Italian industry to make their 50-80s cars made them so easily attacked by rust.

I can imagine some peoples thinking that they will easily overtake an old BX then of a sudden they discover that it's not easy.

10 hours ago, andrew123 said:

it seems that this specific version of KSP crashes every time I try to load the canon.

Are those many, many opening antennas I see? If so, that is what is causing the game to crash. If you want help you need to give more info matey.

If I was not the most unwell man in London right now I would say craft file please but I am too busy being ill today..

4 hours ago, XB-70A said:

No way, you have a BX? They became such are piece of history now, the poor quality of metals use by the French or Italian industry to make their 50-80s cars made them so easily attacked by rust.

I can imagine some peoples thinking that they will easily overtake an old BX then of a sudden they discover that it's not easy.

Yep, have been driving them since 2003, will continue to drive this one for another 25 years if possible. Rust wasn't its biggest enemy, neglect was :-)

That SSTO fighter, the Shiv, is coming along quite nicely, especially after @Rune was so kind to help me iron out some issues with its drag and the aero.

T18VJ21.png
s5NlFrl.png

In addition, I've got 2 other WIPs near-ready to set forth upon the Spacecraft Exchange- one, a small @Cupcake...-inspired dropship I call the Thrush...

VljeDne.png
HZhiHwu.png

...and the other, a replica of the TIE Striker from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story:

McFtSPK.png
BMVygPk.png
HO1RD9M.png

36 minutes ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

That SSTO fighter, the Shiv, is coming along quite nicely, especially after @Rune was so kind to help me iron out some issues with its drag and the aero.

Always glad to be of help. :) Did you manage to get the ejection seat working again?

Rune. I spy struts in those gorgeous ships, tough. You don't yet know about the "autostrut" advanced tweakable, do you? Dragless and massless, FWIW.

Edited by Rune

20 minutes ago, Rune said:

Always glad to be of help. :) Did you manage to get the ejection seat working again?

Rune. I spy struts in those gorgeous ships, tough. You don't yet know about the "autostrut" advanced tweakable, do you? Dragless and massless, FWIW.

Yeah, the ejection seat works fine now (either in the downward-launch or upwards-launch configuration). I'll have to give them a once-over with the auto-strutting, as those visible ones are a result of old habits dying hard. :P

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Are those many, many opening antennas I see? If so, that is what is causing the game to crash. If you want help you need to give more info matey.

If I was not the most unwell man in London right now I would say craft file please but I am too busy being ill today..

I didn't request help in tracking down the cause, as I've solved a similar issue before with my cannons.

However, no, I will not deploy those antennas...

35 minutes ago, andrew123 said:

I didn't request help in tracking down the cause, as I've solved a similar issue before with my cannons.

However, no, I will not deploy those antennas...

Deploying the antennas or not, I suspect that the sheet number of them is causing the game to crash. What are you using them for?

3 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Deploying the antennas or not, I suspect that the sheet number of them is causing the game to crash. What are you using them for?

They're the parts used for the 40/46 cm naval gun barrel. From my previous experiences, spacing them back out usually minimizes the chances of game crashes/spontaneous explosions.

Not sure how the current version of the game affected those antennas, but a previous version made them entirely unsuitable for barrels (much too weak, breaking my working designs). The behavior / durability of those parts seems to change in some way with every revision.

Edited by andrew123

2 hours ago, andrew123 said:

They're the parts used for the 40/46 cm naval gun barrel. From my previous experiences, spacing them back out usually minimizes the chances of game crashes/spontaneous explosions.

Not sure how the current version of the game affected those antennas, but a previous version made them entirely unsuitable for barrels (much too weak, breaking my working designs). The behavior / durability of those parts seems to change in some way with every revision.

I'm considering using Tweakscale to shrink the structural fuselage to accommodate a regular 0.625m nosecone as a bullet, but that would mean using mods.

What exactly are you using to propel your bullet? The SRB used on my gun is much too weak.

23 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I'm considering using Tweakscale to shrink the structural fuselage to accommodate a regular 0.625m nosecone as a bullet, but that would mean using mods.

What exactly are you using to propel your bullet? The SRB used on my gun is much too weak.

My shells are technically rocket assisted with separatrons. I don't really like to use rockets to push the projectile, as in your howitzer setup, as it's been very unpredictable in my own experiments.

More progress has been made on the 46 cm Type-94. The first prototype of the breech door and lock have been installed (and successfully tested), the barrel's been partially redesigned to address colliders and barrel droop, the initial piece of the elevation system (the gear on the side) has been installed, and trial firings have just started.

The first firing trial was mostly successful, with the debris from the barrels after the firing initially distorting some of the barrel's sections, though the barrel snapped back into shape afterwards. I just need to develop a "cleaning round" to clear out the debris after the initial canon shot.

Ignore the barrel dropping to the floor, which was due to an accident with the test stand. It will be a non issue once the initial elevation system prototype is finished (perhaps a high torque hybrid electric drive on each side of the gun along with a small motorized dampener towards the front of the gun will do, similar to the Yamato's actual vertical drive system. I might need a multi stage approach, especially with the gun weighing more than many of my medium tanks.

The gun in varying stages of completion.

UQdbCIJ.png

Gun without breech door.

VNX1w8j.png

Gun with breech door.

HOIjXMI.png

rCkeZ2t.png

More pics of the firing trial with the accident.

Spoiler

mXaddeh.png

r9NLZND.png

The type of ammunition tested was a ballistic cap AP round. In an older test (older version of the game), it annihilated a block of multi layer and material composite armor in a single shot, along with much of the test stand.

And another thing I did for fun, the HIJMS Yuudachi.

Some backstory on the destroyer's namesake. It's almost USS William D. Porter level weird.

Spoiler

l5zAQcI.png

avZxLOA.jpg

4asNuWd.png

eUGBLgb.png

FRk2EQm.png

oVG0UAk.png

vvv9LDC.png

Front view.

Spoiler

TLg42qv.png

It carries one cannon and 4 VLS cells. Max VLS cell loadout is 8.

Edited by andrew123

Diesel Rig 7-18
Update 12.20.2016

I would first like to say that the title of my Project will be changed to Diesel Rig Set. The Boat Trailer at first was hauling a much larger Boat that was very time consuming getting up to speed and for launching, also the braking power was not enough to hold at the coastline during a launch. Braking is still limited for the Truck and I will try to improve it, the Trailer I found is diffidently going to need braking to hold the Boat when loading on the Trailer, although offloading and loading is going well. When I complete this Trailer the Set will be complete.

Boat Sea Storm Trailer Testing

3 hours ago, andrew123 said:

My shells are technically rocket assisted with separatrons. I don't really like to use rockets to push the projectile, as in your howitzer setup, as it's been very unpredictable in my own experiments.

But... then it isn't a true gun, it's just a rocket launcher.

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

But... then it isn't a true gun, it's just a rocket launcher.

Of course, but can you suggest any alternatives to our two setups? I don't know, a special high density explosive that can propel projectiles? Because I don't know of one in KSP.

Your setup may be closer to a real gun in technicality, but as you've seen with your own howitzer, the performance is severely lacking in comparison to my solution, which has achieved ranges of up to 4 KM. Unless you use a mainsail (or some other aesthetic-ruining rocket engine), then you won't get the performance you desire without destroying the barrel on the first shot. This is relevant to 0.4 m and 1.25 m rounds, though smaller ammunition may work with the pusher configuration.

And if squad added cordite charges, then my breech loading cannon would be no less authentic than your howitzer.

If we ignore that the rocket is what provides the initial push in my cannon setup, then my shells would be bog standard rocket assisted artillery shells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket-assisted_projectile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M549

Edited by andrew123

I made this autocannon the other day.

ETezd3F.png

Fires around 10 rounds at around 60 RPM. Accuracy and trajectory is fairly predictable up to around 1 km. 50 ish meter spread at 2km range. The Projectiles are tiny antennas that are launched by a little LFO engine in the breach. The flow is of rounds is controlled by gravity, so once you start firing you cant stop. I tried mounting it on a adapted version of the turret traverse mechanism used on my naval gun but it just ended messing everything up. Doesn't work with those kind of vibrations brought upon by SAS. The rounds can penetrate a couple layers of Wing pieces because of the 300 m/s muzzle velocity. Reliability is Meh. Depends on the vertical elevation. Rounds roll weird when its elevated too much.

Edited by Gman_builder

30 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I made this autocannon the other day.

Fires around 10 rounds at around 60 RPM. Accuracy and trajectory is fairly predictable up to around 1 km. 50 ish meter spread at 2km range. The Projectiles are tiny antennas that are launched by a little LFO engine in the breach. The flow is of rounds is controlled by gravity, so once you start firing you cant stop. I tried mounting it on a adapted version of the turret traverse mechanism used on my naval gun but it just ended messing everything up. Doesn't work with those kind of vibrations brought upon by SAS. The rounds can penetrate a couple layers of Wing pieces because of the 300 m/s muzzle velocity. Reliability is Meh. Depends on the vertical elevation. Rounds roll weird when its elevated too much.

You've inspired me. :D

I may have a solution for the traverse issues, though making actual magazines will be much more difficult.

Edited by andrew123

11 hours ago, andrew123 said:

You've inspired me. :D

I may have a solution for the traverse issues, though making actual magazines will be much more difficult.

Yeah originally i was thinking of having a vertical magazine but it proved to be impossible as there is no way to regulate the flow of rounds into the chamber. That is without having each one on its own decoupler but then it wouldn't be a auto cannon. It would just be a cannon. A friend of mine made a model that works as i just described, but its more of a mortar than a cannon.

19 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Yeah originally i was thinking of having a vertical magazine but it proved to be impossible as there is no way to regulate the flow of rounds into the chamber. That is without having each one on its own decoupler but then it wouldn't be a auto cannon. It would just be a cannon. A friend of mine made a model that works as i just described, but its more of a mortar than a cannon.

I would make a rotary magazine. :) I can think of a few ways it could be done to hold a fair few antenna rounds. Each one would drop into the chamber as it rotated. Voila, auto cannon.

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

I would make a rotary magazine. :) I can think of a few ways it could be done to hold a fair few antenna rounds. Each one would drop into the chamber as it rotated. Voila, auto cannon.

So, more like a Lewis Gun, or more along the lines of a revolver?

Just now, ScriptKitt3h said:

So, more like a Lewis Gun, or more along the lines of a revolver?

I was thinking what would be most feasible in terms of part count, ease of use and reliability. I imagined a central reaction wheel with fins of thermometers or small solar panels that hold the rounds after being decoupled and they drop out of the bottom when it rotates. So yeah like a revolver or an upside down Ruger 10-22 rotary magazine. :)

Edited by Majorjim!

8 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Sounds like a good idea, Although it seems like it could just bring about ore points of failure. More moving parts and stuff that has to be controlled from different vessels. Could work though. If you want to make a proof of concept i'd like too see it. Btw the magazine would have to be enormous in order to hold enough rounds to make the gun useful.