Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

37 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

For my part I'm expecting... a turtle.

But what does the turtle stand on?

In other news, the B-1 is coming along nicely. I would really like an alternative to the landing legs, as they're just so darn slow.

Coconut Island

Coconut Island is for a Food Contest on the Announcements Thread, @Badie started a Food Fight it seems and the competition is getting serious, so I am going bigger and hopefully better with my next idea (see picture below).

7e8sVJH.png

See Gif Animation Here

My entry here is the Coconuts, Rocket Coconuts!
(Will update asap)

mWe96Cc.png

Edited by Castille7

8 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

It's turtles all the way down, of course.

23 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

It's turtles all the way down, :D

Ah, my brothers, you make me feel right at home here. My kind of people.

cheers each and all

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

Ah, my brothers, you make me feel right at home here. My kind of people.

cheers each and all

Lol whoops I didn't see eloquentjane's reply.. Man you have to be fast round here. 

Either way it's a great quote with a very funny story behind it. :-)

10 hours ago, Triop said:

Can't find the right wings for this baby...:huh:

The cockpit makes it remind me somewhat of a dragonfly, albeit with a very short tail. I think a good wing configuration, if you could make it work, would be two pairs of wings above the main body of the vehicle. Perhaps to balance lift and mass, an extra, thinner wing segment could then extend far back past the engine and have some control surfaces on it, or something.

Of course, it depends on what aesthetic you're aiming for, but I feel like that cockpit is quite well-suited to a dragonfly-like appearance.

On 22-1-2017 at 9:25 PM, Torquimedes said:

That is an impressive little bird.  With some practice it can be landed on top of KSC buildings.  I took it down the street and around the corner...

wtDcMgP.gif

Thanks. Nice flying, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm considering making a thread for this plane, but I'm limited by time, video skills, writing skills and flying skills. I feel like that plane flies way too good to be handled by a lousy pilot like myself. 

I found out a solution to my landing gear gripes. As it turns out, there is another part that actuates over a large range and is perfect for this: Airbrakes.

CrJn01i.png

I have done exactly no in-flight tests, but when the mechanism is smoothed out, it should work just fine. As an added bonus, airbrakes have an "extend", "retract", and "extend/retract" in action group options, which makes me happy.

3HQO3p6.png

This is an exceedingly ugly first draft of the fuselage. The tail is fine, but the cockpit needs serious work.

Also, I banged out a YF-23 first draft this afternoon.

ZbWTAGz.png

Handles pretty well, it can break Mach 1 in a vertical climb if that says anything. Fuel capacity is pretty limited, though.

Edited by Servo

Been working on a heavy-lift helicopter that uses intermeshing rotors.

hElWWF0.jpg'

It works great!

NB3F9eZ.jpg

Until it goes faster than 25-30m/s, at which point something happens, not sure what, that severely slows the rotors, and sometimes makes things explode, and the thing falls out of the sky.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

oYJ3bM9.png

The B-1 is airborne! After a lot of testing, this behemoth can switch wing positions 80% of the time in-flight, even at full speed. That said, full speed is only 150m/s at sea level, despite having four whiplashes as propulsion. I did manage to get it up to almost 200m/s in a dive, though.

GgyWpch.png

Stone Bridge

I think everyone knows I am one to finish 1 project and start 3 :D. Well anyway I purchased a book the other day titled "How To Read Bridges" and saw a Stone Bridge, got some ideas found some Stone Blocks in KSP and started this Bridge. Right now gravity is giving me the usual fight. I don't think I will be relocating this one, it may just be a show piece on the runway. Part count is at 1569 and getting close to lagging my computer too much.

ARfsFdy.png

pDv1CF7.png

After finally completing the campaign on Master in one of my favorite games of 2016, Titanfall 2, I wound up making a dropship (atmospheric-only as of now) based off the series' aerospacecraft designs.

x8bdnUy.png

sqf8ZnY.png

Gonna try and release it ASAP after some further testing and tweaks, since it's still a bit twitchy on low thrust power/gliding, but otherwise functions fairly well.

The rear passenger hold carries 6 in addition to the 2 pilots.

Also, Junos are now one of my new favorite engines- so easy to spam for VTOL capability!

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

On 25-1-2017 at 5:16 AM, Castille7 said:

Coconut Island

Coconut Island is for a Food Contest on the Announcements Thread, @Badie started a Food Fight it seems and the competition is getting serious, so I am going bigger and hopefully better with my next idea (see picture below).

7e8sVJH.png

See Gif Animation Here

My entry here is the Coconuts, Rocket Coconuts!
(Will update asap)

mWe96Cc.png

I've never seen such beautiful trees in KSP before!