Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

RX5855A.png

Built a new LM from scratch, inspired by Majorjim's replica.

UFi8qCS.png

ESA Vega. The RT-10s are really inefficient and don't have enough oomph to hit orbit.

ZBX3uLv.png

A new Proton rocket.

35Xx4U1.png

Slightly redid the Apollo CSM.

6dRXHgx.png

A big mining rig on Minmus.

Rail Car System
Update: 01.30.2017

As I've said before I have big hopes in this project but not sure what the final outcome will be. I changed the design of the Rail System to reduce the part count and also for a more stable running gear. I've also started a Depot, it has 237 parts and think it looks really cool. I haven't tested the loading ramp height yet nor did I test loading any Kerbals. The only concern I have right now is lagging of my computer when adding track distance. I wanted longer distance between each support but shaking of the rails were making it difficult to get them any further apart. I was also having reentry shakes that were exploding my tracks after just a few were connected. I will continue but it's very uncertain how much track I will have when this project is complete.

Rail Car Depot

d7HBfYd.png

New Rail System

ilytZfL.png

Spoiler

2si1i91.png

zop1jAc.png

PevwygB.png

New Running Gear & Cabin

5nMNFLO.png

rNiD3ok.png

2 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Rail Car System
Update: 01.30.2017

As I've said before I have big hopes in this project but not sure what the final outcome will be. I changed the design of the Rail System to reduce the part count and also for a more stable running gear. I've also started a Depot, it has 237 parts and think it looks really cool. I haven't tested the loading ramp height yet nor did I test loading any Kerbals. The only concern I have right now is lagging of my computer when adding track distance. I wanted longer distance between each support but shaking of the rails were making it difficult to get them any further apart. I was also having reentry shakes that were exploding my tracks after just a few were connected. I will continue but it's very uncertain how much track I will have when this project is complete...

[heavily edited by adsii1970 for obvious reasons]

And how bad does that affect your frame rate?

11 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

And how bad does that affect your frame rate?

Right now it's not bad, but after adding about twenty sections or so like I plan to I'm sure it might. But the reentry could kill it quick too

Edited by Castille7

9 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

Built a new LM from scratch

Nice! I had so much fun building my one which is handy as it took so long to make.. The COM/COT in the editor is bugged and was giving incorrect info. It does not like my building style. :D

If you want to know the true COM just load in game and zoom in.

Edited by Majorjim!

17 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Nice! I had so much fun building my one which is handy as it took so long to make.. The COM/COT in the editor is bugged and was giving incorrect info. It does not like my building style. :D

If you want to know the true COM just load in game and zoom in.

So far I haven't noticed any real COM/COT problems, it does want to spin around a little bit but the two centres are close enough to prevent trouble, the SAS is enough to handle the imbalance. There is some RCS fuel in the tanks in case anything like Apollo 10 happens.

Testing a partially KAS-assembled Mun rover for the Pyrope Exploration Program.

CBg4hcK.jpg

Learning how to attach parts properly using KAS.

whhkZuN.jpg

The rover handles inclines very well, and includes storage lockers for transporting some equipment.

reIg9ma.jpg

Top speed on Kerbin is a little over 32m/s, or about 115km/h.

j6Dft6B.jpg

Reached the monolith very quickly.

wUT1NxF.jpg

The rover did flip after hitting what I can only assume was an invisible texture seam amidst all of this flat terrain, but I got quite far in a short amount of time.

q2tDclQ.jpg

The enhanced lander used for transporting the rover. The round fuel tanks at the bottom are new, and provide it with the additional delta-v needed to land larger payloads like this rover. The rover wheels are kept in the storage lockers on the rover.

Edited by eloquentJane

How much of a cheat do you guys think deleting a ship from the tracking station is? I have been faffing around with a beginner's-friendly Base-In-A-Box, and I think that is the easiest way of getting the modules out of the surprisingly simple and efficient disposable landing box.

YdUWhFU.png

AuLQ1Wo.png

eXuSXpQ.png

O7FIkiG.png

I mean, I could put thrusters that did the same thing, but it would be a real pain in the ass to make sure they worked on all gravities, and it would steal dV. As it is, the upper stage makes orbit with ~500m/s left, and the C.R.A.D.L.E. (Container Rated for Atmospheric Descents and Landings on Eve, couldn't help myself with the bacronym) has 1,2km/s, which should allow landings pretty much everywhere but Tylo with parachute assist. So yeah, I think that means Munar/Minmus missions should be a one-launch deal, and everywhere else just requires an additional docking to refuel (fully fueled, the upper stage gives 1,7km/s), or hitching a ride in a more powerful transfer stage.

Rune. Because someone said making modular bases is difficult, and I had to engineer him wrong.

Edited by Rune
Retconning a bacronym. ;)

2 minutes ago, Rune said:

How much of a cheat do you guys think deleting a ship from the tracking station? I have been faffing around with a beginner's-friendly Base-In-A-Box, and I think that is the easiest way of getting the modules out of the surprisingly simple and efficient disposable landing box.

[...]

I think not much of a cheat at all.  But could you use reaction wheels in the box to flip it away from the modules?

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I think not much of a cheat at all.  But could you use reaction wheels in the box to flip it away from the modules?

That would be a lot of reaction wheels. The thing is heavy, and it's supposed to be able to be used in, say, Eve. And the ore module has a rather flimsy solar panel that likes to break. You gave me an idea involving separatrons and a leghtwise spin instead of the end-over-end tumble I used in previous CRADLEs, tough. Might be that way I won't push the corridors into smashing the thing. In any case, WiP, I might get rid of the solar panel instead.

Rune. Not too happy about needing an F5 so desperately before starting unpackaging.

37 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Actually, on second thought, KIS/KAS will do for those that are bothered by the "unrealism" (like, say, me). Pick up the landing engines, and turn them into ejection engines:

Pms0Ske.png

JShsDNP.png

The experiment also shows that I need about ~150kN to make it spinny enough to break free... under 1G. Call it 250kN to be safe on Eve. That is a lot of separatrons (~20) to unbalance the thing, increase part count, and steal dV. I'm thinking no, but I will be sure to add a note or something.

Rune. Yay! I can keep the simple construction and high efficiency!

Edited by Rune

4 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Those intakes look amazing. :) 

The nacelles is a Exothermos work, kudos to him, i ve just redesigned the shockcone. The whole craft is a cooperation, i ve done the complete shape:nose wings cockpit rudders. Exothermos has added awesome details with wing edges, nose chines and obviously the masterpiece nacelle and engine design, without him this plane couldn t be so realistic.  And without me and my mad perfectionism this replica couldn t be so precise i guess :P

Another craft in the making, just thought I could share some of my progress with everyone. 

mfXbbzA.png

A WIP F-117 Nighthawk. Keeps swerving on the runway and as a result never took flight. Landing gear look straight, so I'm not sure to why this is happening. I'm still experimenting with different cockpits and I still need to clean up a few spots near the back.

FQg5GYq.png

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Munbro Kerman said:

Another craft in the making, just thought I could share some of my progress with everyone.

A WIP F-117 Nighthawk. Keeps swerving on the runway and as a result never took flight. Landing gear look straight, so I'm not sure to why this is happening. I'm still experimenting with different cockpits and I still need to clean up a few spots near the back.

My best guess is that you're getting all sorts of aerodynamic wackiness from the different angles. I recommend either building it out of non-wing parts (or at lease as few as possible); radiators and basic fins might work better. Or you can go for the fly-by-wire approach and spam SAS.

LX0LtlC.png

I've been working on a JSF hinge, and it's been going great! My second draft works really great, and now can actuate up and down without requiring control switching, and with a single action group. I just hope that the single panther will have enough oomph to get the JSF off the ground.

9TCZNb3.png

As it turns out, thermometer hinges are really steady. I've tested this thing against the panther at full throttle and it held together just fine. Also, the entire assembly is only 30 parts, which I find to be insane.

Edited by Servo

1 hour ago, Munbro Kerman said:

mfXbbzA.png

FQg5GYq.png

Nice plane, but i have the impression its too much tall.

Edit: after watching photos i can tell you i was right 

StealthBreak_800.jpg

Reducing the tallness (is this the right word?) you can also benefit a reduced wing surface, so a better drag and obviously increased overall performance. You can also reduce rudder size.

Edited by eorin

I've been working on a helicopter that flies more like a plane.

4CRKVkt.jpg

It should theoretically be really, really, really, loud when traveling at speed because the advancing blade tips break the sound barrier, meaning it produces about 28 sonic booms per second. Good thing I don't have a mod that makes that actually happen.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

What do you know, turns out that what I budget for Mun is perfectly fine to go to Duna, if you dare the aerocapture. I guess it's one more place we can call it tested for! Also, repurposing the descent engines to get rid of the box works like a treat:

mt9sczH.png

EALBSgK.png

3c5Hd1H.png

Rune. BTW, building on a steep incline is 'fun', especially if you have a custom config that limits angle offsets to 0.005º when docking. But doable!

Edited by Rune

13 hours ago, Servo said:

My best guess is that you're getting all sorts of aerodynamic wackiness from the different angles. I recommend either building it out of non-wing parts (or at lease as few as possible); radiators and basic fins might work better. Or you can go for the fly-by-wire approach and spam SAS.

LX0LtlC.png

I've been working on a JSF hinge, and it's been going great! My second draft works really great, and now can actuate up and down without requiring control switching, and with a single action group. I just hope that the single panther will have enough oomph to get the JSF off the ground.

9TCZNb3.png

As it turns out, thermometer hinges are really steady. I've tested this thing against the panther at full throttle and it held together just fine. Also, the entire assembly is only 30 parts, which I find to be insane.

Outstanding work.  So many designs could be spawned from this mechanism.  I expect to see RAPIER SSTO VTOLS using this.

So the small wheels can be used to actuate a hinge, fascinating...  What are you using for an axle inside the thermometers?  

Panthers will surprise you.  They're a great VTOL engine with the huge gimbal angle and short length.  Toggling afterburner can overcome turbine lag in an emergency.  If one isn't enough, you might clip two together for more thrust.  How do you control throttle?