Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

9 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Another question for you... Does the rear engine dock once it's lowered? You say you have full gimbal control on it once it's lowered but I don't see a docking port for it to attach too :0.0: In all seriousness though this is one of the prettiest and most streamlined remake I've seen yet... Bravo :)

The rear engine floats, so in VTOL mode, there isn't throttle or gimbal control. It only docks in the horizontal flight mode. However, between the SAS and throttle control on the lift fans, there is more than enough control to touch down gracefully.

14 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

This is what I've been working on, a stock-as-usual Voyage-style Duna mission, inspired by seeing @Nittany Tiger, rsinferno from Youtube , @winged  and @Chris P. Bacon.

I originally aimed to keep the whole stack under 400 parts, but it looks like my computer will be frying as the MEM alone is 200 parts, and the transfer stage is somewhere around that. Not to mention that I don't have a working Saturn V yet, which will complicate things.

I also aimed to keep the MEM/Hab/CSM stack under 80 tons, but I didn't expect the Hab to be a whopping 60 tons alone, so I have that to deal with as well.

Here's some eyecandy:

That is a beautiful mission! Amazing how that's 100% stock but doesn't look like it at all.

16 hours ago, Azimech said:

<snip>

Also small rotors have a lower moment of inertia and thus have a quick response time (especially when combined with panther blowers). This allows, for example, my Titan Mk1-3 to recover from a freefall within only 100m (or roughly the height of the VAB, I haven't measured exactly).

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

6 hours ago, He_162 said:

I was just suggesting, since most people don't have amazing single core performance, unlike I do with a Pentium G3258 at 5ghz, or my other PC with an i5-4590 at 4.1 ghz (I BCLK overclocked it, and it works!)

I have a G2140 ... since single core performance is likely not going to improve in the coming years, I guess my next rig would be similar to yours (except I don't overclock).

22 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Also small rotors have a lower moment of inertia and thus have a quick response time (especially when combined with panther blowers). This allows, for example, my Titan Mk1-3 to recover from a freefall within only 100m (or roughly the height of the VAB, I haven't measured exactly).

Every setup has its advantages and drawbacks :-)

14 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I have a G2140 ... since single core performance is likely not going to improve in the coming years, I guess my next rig would be similar to yours (except I don't overclock).

Every setup has its advantages and drawbacks :-)

I believe that the i7-7700K has been known to hit 5.5, and 6 ghz with really good water cooling, and a delidding, but I suppose this isn't a tech forum eh? So I brought a screenshot along with:

The first being a lifter that was supposed to be capable of bringing 3000 kT to orbit! Yeah! But it crashed before I could get enough engines in for the correct t/w ratio.
vNN4KTT.png
The second being the "design" I am going for in these super heavy lifters that is taking me so long, I want to drop as much excess weight off as it becomes unnecessary, so I am finding a balance between decoupler count, and tanks dropped per stage.

Here is the general idea: De-Coupleable fuel tanks lifted by a puller type rocket.

SlScApp.png

On 2/5/2017 at 8:46 AM, Yukon0009 said:

This is what I've been working on, a stock-as-usual Voyage-style Duna mission, inspired by seeing @Nittany Tiger, *rseferino from Youtube , @winged  and @Chris P. Bacon.

I originally aimed to keep the whole stack under 400 parts, but it looks like my computer will be frying as the MEM alone is 200 parts, and the transfer stage is somewhere around that. Not to mention that I don't have a working Saturn V yet, which will complicate things.

I also aimed to keep the MEM/Hab/CSM stack under 80 tons, but I didn't expect the Hab to be a whopping 60 tons alone, so I have that to deal with as well.

[snip]

Wow.  I'm flattered that I was inspiration for your project. :)  I wish you the best of luck, and I hope to have my own Ares flight ready soon.

I really like the Ares mission out of the sheer awesomeness of bringing Apollo technology to Mars.  Before even reading the book, I wanted to fly the mission myself, and it's why I bought KSP.

Hopefully, you can get that stockalike Saturn VB together.  Also, I wonder if you've considered ways of lowering your RAM usage so you don't get monster levels of lag from having vessels with high part counts?

Edited by Nittany Tiger
Snipping the quote.

So recently I have been messing around with the thermometer hinge on a 18 wheeler truck I had in mine. All went well except the bearing itself unleashes the kraken, inevitably causing premature flight and flinging of all parts in which survive the rampage. I even tried my heavy duty tank turret bearing, yet no luck regardless the strength. Weight is not a problem as the last picture shows, this Ford can tow all of it efficiently (Minus the fact that tail whip can occur). Yet other designs in which use the hinge, work great! If anyone would like to help or offer some advice, I'd gladly appreciate it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a16hh4y2z3mv1ix/18 Wheeler.craft?dl=0

Yet somehow positioning it like this works just fine.....

sZWnJDR.png

KCmuqO5.pngi2j0sE1.png

KfiwXuC.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

Just now, Majorjim! said:

It's probably too much weight on the hinge. 

These things are pretty strong from testing, apparently it has to do with the hinges positioning, somehow when the steel is over the wheels (with the given clearance between) there is an invisible interaction of some sort that causes it to spaz out. 

This works:

sZWnJDR.png

This doesn't work:

b76Xwfe.png

42 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

So recently I have been messing around with the thermometer hinge on a 18 wheeler truck I had in mine. All went well except the bearing itself unleashes the kraken, inevitably causing premature flight and flinging of all parts in which survive the rampage. I even tried my heavy duty tank turret bearing, yet no luck regardless the strength. Weight is not a problem as the last picture shows, this Ford can tow all of it efficiently (Minus the fact that tail whip can occur). Yet other designs in which use the hinge, work great! If anyone would like to help or offer some advice, I'd gladly appreciate it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a16hh4y2z3mv1ix/18 Wheeler.craft?dl=0

Yet somehow positioning it like this works just fine.....

sZWnJDR.png

KCmuqO5.pngi2j0sE1.png

KfiwXuC.png

That random jump is also probably caused by the wheels on your truck trying to jump on top of the trailer... There's a very annoying bug where if anything collides with the built in wheel suspension (or, just the wheel...), they will assume said 'thing' to be the ground and try to jump on top of it. See here :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

15 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

That random jump is also probably caused by the wheels on your truck trying to jump on top of the trailer... There's a very annoying bug where if anything collides with the built in wheel suspension (or, just the wheel...), they will assume said 'thing' to be the ground and try to jump on top of it. See here :P

That appears to be the issue as it tries to tip over and as it approaches the wheels it goes crazy... Though I'd have to limit the roll on the bearing itself...

Update:

Its not a good fix, but it still gets the job done, put a buffer between the two crafts. many thanks Avera9eJoe: 

tYy6qZ5.png

Edited by ghostbuzzer7

Rail Car System
Update: 02.06.17

At the moment I am still testing the Rail Car on the tracks. I have the Depot working (Travel to a location, able to enter and exit) Straight Track and Curved Track Assemblies connecting with each other. If you follow my work you know I have a few projects going on and the reason is from burn outs of working on the same project for an extended period of time. I do plan to complete them.

hMO4w57.png

Spoiler

50FMDD9.png

gQSEWXU.png

i1pl6wk.png

Just in case you forgot, complication do still happen :/

YXXaSU1.png

Edited by Castille7

After a while of working on this little project, I present to you: the Modern Air Force of the United States.

okEVdDl.png

From left to right, F-14 (swept wings), F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, and the F-35A. All still need to be tweaked, but this is pretty much the final product.

Kerbal Space Program... now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

So much schoolwork to deal with that the few times I have to even look at my computer are spent on other games (and yet I see some guy playing War Thunder in my Aerospace Engineering class almost every day. How he bypassed the school security restraints to get it running and maintain a connection without being detected is beyond me. Only I'm supposed to know how to do that

Anyway here's a rocket plane thing. I recently learned how and why a dihedral wing works, and I wanted to see if it was something that KSP accurately simulates.

OZPAKb7.jpg
9f6QLT3.jpg

Edited by pTrevTrevs

"No no no no ... my little Johnny would never do such things. He's such a sweeeet boy! He has chosen this macho looks recently ... must be those weird friends he has. But beneath the looks is a timid boy who just wants to be loved. Also I think his glowing nose is very cute. I can't believe those terrible things you two are saying about him. Now if you don't mind, I need to feed my cats ... you know they're sooo adorable! Oh and I have the kettle on. Also there's a rerun of Murder She Wrote starting in five minutes. Well, good afternoon officers."

"You see Gerald, it runs in the family."

"True Onno. Very true."

Spoiler

hgAVkNh.gif

I've been sitting on my JSF for the past few days as I'm shopping around for good screen recorders. It will be up soon, I promise.

In the meantime, I've been trying to make my B-2 get off the ground (without exploding, preferably), with little success. It's got plenty of lift, plenty of thrust, and the COM is in front of the COL, so I don't see what the problem is. My best guess at the moment is a lack of control authority, though spamming control surfaces below the wing didn't help either.

tiH0zTZ.png?1

(Contrast is all funny so details can be seen).

Image result for b-2

I feel like I nailed the wing shape, though getting the fuselage right is also trickier.

YwhibOl.png

I've started the tedious process of transplanting the bodywork of the Asura to the new engine. In hindsight it would've been better to create a mount and attach the bodywork there so I could swap the whole engine in seconds. Oh well.

PNm9bB3.png

Edit: I'm not making the same mistake again.

Edited by Azimech

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

I've started the tedious process of transplanting the bodywork of the Asura to the new engine. In hindsight it would've been better to create a mount and attach the bodywork there so I could swap the whole engine in seconds. Oh well.

<snip>

Edit: I'm not making the same mistake again.

That reminds me of last night. I wanted to try installing my own equivalent engine on the Hyperion*, only to find I needed to take the whole thing apart to do so lol. I'm thinking I'll let that wait a bit.

*I wanted to do this so I could somewhat scientifically determine what the strengths and weaknesses of different engine types such as efficiency, vNE , response time, etc 

Camelback Bridge Project

I located a new place for Bridge Building, it's still a good ways out from the Space Center but looks like a nice location because of the somewhat small gaps between land and the shallow water.

w0hEVdh.png

Rather than shipping each section on the Barge like shown in the picture above, I am going to try this....Camelback Bridge Train :D

0lHjQdS.png

Spoiler

tFDm7hG.png

KlP8tHL.png

ZWo8rRZ.png

fjwQcTv.png

Aqua Tram II in action once again, I wasn't planning to travel by water but it's becoming the better answer and I didn't have the Bridge designed to make these type maneuvers 

MhfFCcm.png

rdbDtB8.png

Planes seem quite popular in this thread, so here's a few I've made recently:

tQIt05g.jpg

Vj9C13r.jpg

In order, the Juniper Jet and the Hemlock prototype. Guess which one Valentina's flying.

If anyone's interested, the full reports of the first test flights of the Juniper Jet and the Hemlock can be found here (below the space telescope launches).

The Juniper Jet, with some modifications, might eventually serve as a crew transport on Laythe. The Hemlock is mainly for flight practice. Various design aspects of both planes will probably be used in future on more sophisticated vehicles. Unlike most of my vehicle designs, these planes are both mostly stock. The only modded parts on them are the small aerodynamic pylons from Modular Rocket Systems (which attach the engine pods on the Juniper Jet and the landing gear on the Hemlock).

Edited by eloquentJane

14 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Camelback Bridge Project

I located a new place for Bridge Building, it's still a good ways out from the Space Center but looks like a nice location because of the somewhat small gaps between land and the shallow water.

w0hEVdh.png

Rather than shipping each section on the Barge like shown in the picture above, I am going to try this....Camelback Bridge Train :D

0lHjQdS.png

Hide contents

tFDm7hG.png

KlP8tHL.png

ZWo8rRZ.png

fjwQcTv.png

Aqua Tram II in action once again, I wasn't planning to travel by water but it's becoming the better answer and I didn't have the Bridge designed to make these type maneuvers 

MhfFCcm.png

rdbDtB8.png

Cool designs! Where can I find this? Would you like to mark it on the map?

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Cool designs! Where can I find this? Would you like to mark it on the map?

Head South from the Space Center then follow the Coastline West

lFMb13E.png

@Azimech There is an alternate route but you might be better off using the map! :D

Edited by Castille7

I've been working my KC-135. I've built the first draft of the airframe, and done a couple test flights. The placement of the engines means that it wants to pitch up all the time, which will be fun to account for (especially since I need to have it be stable for in-flight refueling tests.) Now, all I have to do is revise it to match the blueprints better, which will probably entail reworking the tail at minimum, and then add an actuated boom (why does everything I make now have moving parts? idk)

QUrSAtJ.png

One side effect of the pitch problem is that it's really good at loop-the-loops.

tJw0wf9.png