Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Cargo Ship "Seahorse"

I am guessing one more WIP can't hurt? :D During my Bridge Project I needed to push or refuel the Bridge during it's journey to the Location and have some temporary push bars on the head. Neither are working :/ Plans are to keep tweaking it as I am using it for better maneuvering and material hauling. Lagging was an issue with the Bridge and the Ship in the same playing field so I won't be getting these two next to each other too often. Long Range Shipping is not a problem for this big guy!

SRBquxS.png

BEwciVO.png

Spoiler

P30R9jx.png

z5UfJvt.png

GU6scsR.png

Edited by Castille7

4 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Been working on a drillship inspired by Azimech's drilling platform. It worked great.

X7PtIUv.jpg

(Larger drill pending)

376lT6l.jpg

Until I added autostruts to keep the cable/pipeline stored until needed...

7UNMEFY.jpg

The kraken apparently likes metal noodles seasoned with autostruts.

I like your hull design!

42 minutes ago, klond said:

those antenna arrays look so legit.  and look at the little staircases :D   Do want.

Thank you man! The staircase I hope will not require the Kerbals need of the F key to climb, haven't tried them yet, that's why I have them on a slight incline.

Aerial refuelling much? I've done parasite fighters, so this seems to be the logical next step.

RnYVdlF.png

Actuated boom, forced up and down by the lift vanes toggling deploy modes. Also, I'm really proud with how the engine nacelles came out. With six wheeselys each, they max out at twice the thrust of the goliaths in the previous version. The control planes need to be seriously angled to prevent it from pitching up like the previous versions.

Ns4luGI.png

It's not perfect, since the hinge needs to be stronger to hold the boom to the plane.

58 minutes ago, Servo said:

Aerial refuelling much? I've done parasite fighters, so this seems to be the logical next step.

Actuated boom, forced up and down by the lift vanes toggling deploy modes. Also, I'm really proud with how the engine nacelles came out. With six wheeselys each, they max out at twice the thrust of the goliaths in the previous version. The control planes need to be seriously angled to prevent it from pitching up like the previous versions.

It's not perfect, since the hinge needs to be stronger to hold the boom to the plane.

I'm sure this will be some serious fun! I haven't attempted this yet........yet! :D

Working on an *almost* full scale replica B-52 Stratofortress after my old B-52 just wasn't cutting it, this one is much more accurate and functional. 

Gokmn1y.png

All stock.

Dawz53H.png

Capable of carrying a X-15 to an altitude of 5 km before dropping.

Similar story with my Apollo Lunar Module. I wasn't exactly very pleased with the design, so I built a new one. This one has the potential of carrying a rover, but only has a Surface Experiments Package.

SVszc5C.png

knWNxe4.png

Edited by Munbro Kerman

The rover on laythe

4DWIbBu.png

Spoiler

R7ezvUp.png

landing next to some stranded kerbals

oe7vfbx.png

oHJddyd.png

Ares 1-ish w/ orion

rMgqBD6.png

Spoiler

JIKiKJN.jpg

CRCUXhR.png

BFBXdcb.png

Spoiler

QZdgmUH.png

tI5Ufa6.png

Clipped a pair of wheesleys in, greatly increased the speed and range lol :). I'll maybe put up download if anyone wants.

F-35:

05y2hBn.png

yPz6dgW.png

The intakes are pretty difficult. huh

Edited by Thingymajigy

8 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

@eorin  @Servo Your guys' recent stuff has been amazing! Cant wait for a download for the SR-71 and KC-135!!!! I NEEEDDD THEEEMMM

There s already a download for the sr-71 http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/156011-sr-71-blackbird-by-eorin-and-exothermos

Please leave some feedback thanks!

I've finally gotten a version of my KC-135 boom that doesn't explode. Now for some non-static tests...

V9KDSD2.gif

Airbrakes are wonderful for actuating things that landing gear just doesn't work for. I had to abandon the flap method of deployment because it became really unstable while in flight. Hopefully replacing the wings will limit that.

Here is my nuclear pusher called ElleVator. Klaw for dragging things, big docking port for pushing big things. Screenshots from Ike orbit, had to drop a drilling station there.

gare9Ia.png

jHtgtUg.png

0VJdYUu.png

A very stable flier, the dragging works very well for things with bad center of mass, nukes spread apart so don't burn my cargo, can land on fuel drills with the klaw if needs to fuel up.

I started a project to vertically integrate upper stages and payloads onto landed boosters of my new rocket.

IOAFsyX.png

The Vertical Integration Facility (VIF) turned out quite nicely. The basic building (with nothing in it) is only 120 parts!

ekafV2L.png

HMOEnuV.png

This is the first iteration of the gantry crane. It is meant to grab a stage off of a transport vehicle before climbing up to the top of the VIF. The crane will next move horizontally toward the back of the building until it is over the rocket. The stage will then be lowered onto the rocket.

Also, don't mind the extra few SRBs there, those are just to connect the crane and stage together in the VAB, they won't be needed later!

lExiyIW.png

The first test demonstrated that the crane was not very stable.

DQtH8Aa.png

But that can be fixed by making the landing gear tighter to prevent sideways movement, right?

OPgwJ2e.png

Apparently not-  uh oh.

DfbZns7.png

iXNObfM.png

cbHk6Zy.png

Back to the drawing board?

BZrb1BN.png

Hopefully by next weekend I will have a more thorough plan.

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573

Camelback Bridge Project
02.12.17 Update

It's been a long slow trip to the Location (Shown on the Map below). I've made many trips to the Bridge while it was on it's way to location with the Bridge traveling at an average speed of about 11 m/s. At the moment I am nearing the Location where I plan to get these sections into place then take some estimates on how many additional sections will be needed. The Aqua Tram was modified with an Adapter to Refuel the Bridge, this craft has been working but with too many trips having to be made. Another craft (Shown below) was then designed which is larger and arriving at the Bridge with a near 4600 load of fuel. Vernor Engines were added for maneuvers, these were giving enough power to also steer the Bridge while underway. 

Map of Location

lFMb13E.png

Fuel Express One
(New Refueling Craft)

IHBNk3e.png