Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

The Cantilever Bridge Project
Update: 03.03.17

I've dropped the two Piers at location with one of them being mobile. I've also noticed near the location there is a beautiful underwater view of the Coastline with a steep drop and it made me think if I could visit this area with a Submarine it would be neat, this stirred up an idea of an Exploration Vehicle ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle). I was planning to use the craft for some precision adjustments of the Bridge Piers but after testing I found the ROV was needing forward speed to submerge and this would not be useful to push the Piers at it's center where I was planning. So this creates a reason for more craft building fun! I will be working on a second ROV that will hold a submerged position for better underwater operations. I named the first ROV Watson, now that I need a second this one will be named Sherlock. The Cargo Ship Seahorse is still being improved, I now have steering and precision maneuvering controls less complicated then what I started with. The Bridge Section is near complete, this had it's headaches of it's own, after placing it on the deck in the Hangar nearly half of the struts where releasing, these make up half of the beauty of the Bridge so it was back to work adding struts. The Kraken paid me a visit! :mad: during my project. I will press on, this is far too fun and exciting not to complete among a few other projects that I do plan to complete, to name a few, The Camelback Bridge, The Rail Car System, The Man O War (An 8 round Kerbal torpedo Submarine) and the B-25 Mitchell which I don't think I mentioned yet.

Seahorse underway with a Bridge Section

Q9kFNmJ.png

Spoiler

Seahorse with two ROV's for testing

(These ROV's look so cool when they are dropped and hit the water)

XBaazTf.png

BuoCKWc.png

ROV (Watson) with push bars testing strength and widths

RvxL8yA.png

Two Piers Set

aBoV90E.png

The Kraken pays a visit, grabs and holds a large section of roof in mid air

NF8Dzeq.png

Kraken you can have my roof!  
We must continue our work at all cost, no matter the obstacles we encounter!

9yO42m1.png

Edited by Castille7
Video was added

On 2/27/2017 at 3:30 PM, Jefzor said:

If you could share the craft file, or a picture with center of mass and center of lift and the wheel placement all visible, we could help you out. Center of lift should be slightly behind the center of mass (further back= more stable, but less manoeuvrable). The wheels should also be slightly behind the center of mass (further back=less likely to slam your tail into the ground, but harder to get off the ground). 

In other news, I managed to save rescue my Viggen putting most of it in a subassembly. 

I'm also working on an A-10 Warthog (with lots of bells and whistles, like airbrakes, camera pod, and of course the gatling gun). 

2i6z9jm.jpg

The aircraft had 3x of the FAT-455 on every angle in the B2's wings, I added control surfaces inside of the craft, as well as SAS modules on the engines, and it still wouldn't fly. I even tried to build a 65% scale of it, nothing changed with it's performance. I ultimately deleted it because it didn't want to fly, and messing it for 2 weeks without results was getting old.

Sorry.

Testing and troubleshooting versions of my WB-57F with high altitude formation flights:

LKcTquQ.png

so far, so good, this craft is designed with the sole purpose of flying high and carrying instruments---

(from NASA Johnson) I like this classical approach to high altitude---two times the wing area of the B-57B.

This craft was so stable, in fact, i was able to touch down with both ships simultaneously!

tKzzzhF.pnguSjwyrA.png

This weekend I made very promising progress on my vertical integration project. My first task was to create the horizontal component of the gantry crane.

LyljVVj.png

This horizontal crane is necessary for moving rocket stages to the back section of the facility, which will be important later.

La1CXr7.png

The stage is lifted up on wheels and rolled to the other set of docking ports. I forgot to add bumpers at the end of the track so I must be careful to not move to far, else the stage fall to the ground!

hfrsnQx.png

RAKZB1n.png

Success!

lN61DAX.png

With the horizontal crane functioning, I went on to fix the vertical crane. The solution turned out to be simple: Replace the jet engines with vectors!

e1QtLNQ.png

The gantry crane is kept stable mostly by the SAS (set to radial out, or straight up) using thrust vectoring, reaction wheels, and RCS. The crane is mostly safe as long as it is controlled carefully and limited to a slow speed of about 5 m/s.

gbPgN7g.png

I added docking ports at the top of the building to give the crane a resting spot. Once the stage is lifted to the top, it must be horizontally transferred to the back of the hangar before being lowered onto the rocket stack.

aKqv8Bw.png

TClAzDB.png

A preview of the integration process: Here we can see the upper stage, held by the gantry crane, waiting to be lifted to the top of the hangar. The first stage booster sits in the back of the hanger, standing on it's transporter (transporter not pictured).

EH335i0.png

Next up, I fixed the first stage transporter. This rover is designed to recover a landed rocket booster, raise it off the ground by about 1 meter, and transport it to the hangar. I also plan to have it transport the full rocket stack out to the pad, and now that I think of it, it will probably BE the launch pad! :D

JNH1GiX.png

Finally, I "launched" the VIF out to the runway, which somehow made the huge, 5 meter-diameter booster look tiny.

IkG1gCN.png

While the booster would be able to fit through the gap in the VIF's wall, the transporter was far too wide. So the lower section of the front wall would have to rotate out of the way. As such, devised a set of doors at the bottom of the hanger. Unfortunately due to my incompetence, I installed the door hinges backwards preventing the doors form opening adequately.

kkGB01L.png

The very tall booster nearly toppled over trying to make it up the runway slope, but it made it.

uv1aFOR.png

Yep, that's not gonna fit.

hD9rRqC.png

LOUKVZ2.png

-Rocket

Edited by RocketPilot573

1 hour ago, RocketPilot573 said:

This weekend I made very promising progress on my vertical integration project. My first task was to create the horizontal component of the gantry crane.

Words, Words, Words

-Rocket

That is easily one of the most insane stock things I've seen on this forum! I've tried to do exactly what you're doing, but with KIS/KAS, and significantly less success. Kudos, man!

Been working on a detailed YF-23 replica for a while. It's close, but missing something. It's probably the nose and cockpit. Any ideas?

Screenshots:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1hZ9MyFf9ukUVVUNWs4NGpjNk0?usp=sharing

Mods:

Squad

Tweakscale

Airplane +

DL:

https://kerbalx.com/eva_reentry/YF-23-Prtotype-2

(Unrecognized part is from latest version of Airplane +)

18 minutes ago, EVA_Reentry said:

Been working on a detailed YF-23 replica for a while. It's close, but missing something. It's probably the nose and cockpit. Any ideas?

(Chop Chop)

Looks amazing as is, it just needs a pilot to fly it, awesome work man!

Just now, Castille7 said:

Looks amazing as is, it just needs a pilot to fly it, awesome work man!

Thanks! After comparing it to blueprints, it's definitely the nose. I'm also going to overhaul the engines (they were subassemblies and had radial symmetry used, which is messing things up quite a bit) and work on the Z-fighting.

I hate Z-fighting.

I'm planning a mission to go explore the deep abyss on Kerbin.

The plan is to drop a mini sub from a plane above the destinations coordinates.

YbwJLmg.png

* I rescaled the electric sub engine in the cfg file.

Edit: surface speed test:

SejvlXI.png

The design for now:

Battery bank:

cVlCALo.png

Pumps and GPS:

OVoq18j.png

Edited by Triop

2 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

The Apollo LM really does not lend itself easily to replication in stock.

2017-03-06%2016-42-41.png

I imagine this is probably going to hardest part of this whole project. Everything else is just cylinders, cones, and of course, rocket engines.

Wow! I think the only thing that would make it better is either enlarging the ascent stage or shrinking the descent stage.

The Apollo LM really does not lend itself easily to replication in stock.

It really doesn't does it!

I spent a very long time making and balancing my Tiny stock LM. :confused:

I like what I see of yours so far mate, nice work! keep it up and keep us posted on the progress,

Man.. all these apollo craft are making want to fly a SV again! 

Edited by Majorjim!

Everything else is just cylinders, cones, and of course, rocket engines.

Well... That depends on the payload fairing.  if you want a nice custom one that opens like the real thing, that's tricky. ;-)

Just now, The Raging Sandwich said:

Wow! I think the only thing that would make it better is either enlarging the ascent stage or shrinking the descent stage.

Yah, I've noticed the ascent stage appears a bit small compared to the descent stage. I need to recheck the descent stage dimensions. I might have made it slightly too tall.

15 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Well... That depends on the payload fairing.  if you want a nice custom one that opens like the real thing, that's tricky. ;-)

Yes, I do intend to have one that opens like the real thing. I'm just hoping that with all the experience I've had with hinges so far, it might be relatively easy to make what amounts to four large, rounded doors... Of course now that I've said this I'm doomed to spend a week trying to get them to not explode on opening. :P

Anyways...

2017-03-06%2020-20-58.png

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Yes, I do intend to have one that opens like the real thing. I'm just hoping that with all the experience I've had with hinges so far, it might be relatively easy to make what amounts to four large, rounded doors... Of course now that I've said this I'm doomed to spend a week trying to get them to not explode on opening. :P

That's coming along great! Thermo-hinges shouldn't be too difficult for something that size, especially since it'll be free-floating (and not need to redock). The hard part will be making the doors fit into each other.

I finally went to space for the first time in over a month (kinda).

g69Regb.png

Testing my Kanada Arm. I had the idea for something like this in the shower, and this was the first time I had the chance to try it out. I probably won't spend too much time trying to make this work, but if somebody else wants to run with it, I'd be glad to provide the craft file. The main problem now is getting the docking ports to actually dock (they keep interfering with each other, I had this problem on by B-1) without making the system too large. Control is ok, but it's awkward trying to switch between four different craft to maneuver this thing. Luckily, thanks to SAS, you can kind of control the joint that the active section is attached to without needing to switch over.