Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

6 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Yes, I do intend to have one that opens like the real thing. I'm just hoping that with all the experience I've had with hinges so far, it might be relatively easy to make what amounts to four large, rounded doors...

No need for hinges in the faring matey, they detach in all but the earliest Apollo flights. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

4 hours ago, Servo said:

Testing my Kanada Arm. I had the idea for something like this in the shower,

Both @sgt_flyer and myself have made stock Canadarms, independently I should add, although his was much better than mine, you really should check it out. It's a work of art! See the vids on his youtube page.

My Lunar Module is just about finished.

2017-03-07%2012-16-02.png

I just need to refine the landing leg deployment mechanism, and set the legs up in the folded position ,(and perhaps refine the look of the ladder, it looks weird and floaty right now).

Problem is that the lander is just over 300 parts... I might have to go through and find ways to reduce part count before integrating it with everything else.

Side note: I've been designing the thing without reaction wheels, so the thrusters are used for attitude control as well as translation, like IRL. The solar panels don't work either (still wish I could paint them though).

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Ladder

11 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

My Lunar Module is just about finished.

2017-03-07%2012-16-02.png

I just need to refine the landing leg deployment mechanism, and set it up in the folded position.

Problem is that the lander is just over 300 parts... I might have to go through and find ways to reduce part count before integrating it with everything else.

Side note: I've been designing the thing without reaction wheels, so the thrusters are used for attitude control as well as translation, like IRL. The solar panels don't work either (still wish I could paint them though).

It looks great mate! 

It need a little cleaning up and it looks like there's no room for a rover and science stuff, or?

I know apollo 11 didn't have a rover but it's nice to have one. :-)

have you tested the ascent stage? I found that the COM/COL indicators where inaccurate when making mine.. It took a while to balance it, as I also didn't use reaction wheels. 

I love the extending landing legs! 

Edited by Majorjim!

3 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

It looks great mate! 

It need a little cleaning up and it looks like there's no room for a rover and science stuff, or?

I know apollo 11 didn't have a rover but it's nice to have one. :-)

have you tested the ascent stage? I found that the COM/COL indicators where inaccurate when making mine.. It took a while to balance it, as I also didn't use reaction wheels. 

I love the extending landing legs!

Thanks!

Indeed I have tested the ascent stage, and though I had tried to balance it in the VAB (I had to resort to sticking small ore tanks in the back), it did have a slight  unbalance. I think I've fixed it though. I still need to test descent and landing, though I don't expect very much trouble from that. I might squish some science doodads in there.

On the rover: possible, but highly unlikely.

If I manage to trim down the part count on the lander by a lot, I might consider attempting a rover, but otherwise probably not (Nobody Most people won't want to play with a super high part count monstrosity). If I do, I'll probably have to redo a fair bit of the descent stage to make room.

Well I'll be darned, it fits. The only thing that bulges is the Mk3 center section!

DvEziKA.png

Now there's the problem of the ~30mT, 35m long payload on top of a rocket... not sure I'll gain much stability by launching tori this way. :rolleyes:

Rune. It'll sure cut on drag compared to previous versions, there's that...

Edited by Rune

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Thanks!

Indeed I have tested the ascent stage, and though I had tried to balance it in the VAB (I had to resort to sticking small ore tanks in the back), it did have a slight  unbalance. I think I've fixed it though. I still need to test descent and landing, though I don't expect very much trouble from that. I might squish some science doodads in there.

On the rover: possible, but highly unlikely.

If I manage to trim down the part count on the lander by a lot, I might consider attempting a rover, but otherwise probably not (Nobody Most people won't want to play with a super high part count monstrosity). If I do, I'll probably have to redo a fair bit of the descent stage to make room.

Well, it looks amazing so far mate!

And don't worry, most vehicles have some kind I ballast to balance things out, I know I had to, just one of those things when making accurate detailed craft like this. :-)

Trying to make an oil rig, not sure where this is going... Would be cool if I can make it work, lowering drills and stuff....Tips would be welcome.

3ql2A0e.png

Edit, well, it floats, looks like a thing from Star Wars.....I guess I'll keep playing with this some more.

PbvCftg.png

Edited by Triop

12 minutes ago, __Ultimatum said:

I have been working on a Blue Origin New Glenn rocket. 

It is still in need of it's new fins along the side. I built it before the video was released this morning. 

Nice, maybe you can launch it from my new to be rig that has just got new lights that we are testing right now so we can see what we are doing when we make very long sentences.

4lMgtQp.png

:lol:

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Trying to make an oil rig, not sure where this is going... Would be cool if I can make it work, lowering drills and stuff....Tips would be welcome.

Edit, well, it floats, looks like a thing from Star Wars.....I guess I'll keep playing with this some more.

Well, the obvious thing is KAS, but if you want to keep it stock, @Azimech did a thing with an ungodly amount of parts and playing with the rigid attachment tweakable that kind of worked like a winch, IIRC. I'm sure he'll be happy to refresh all our memories momentarily! :)

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Now there's the problem of the ~30mT, 35m long payload on top of a rocket... not sure I'll gain much stability by launching tori this way. :rolleyes:

What do you know, a few winglets, and it werkz! With core recovery, even. Given the core is something like 70k√, the boosters 4k√, and the whole thing 177k√ to put on the pad, that is kind of nice, works out to a launch cost of about 7k√ in fuel and 4k√ in SRBs, for the longest ~30mT payload you'll ever see. There is no actual second stage in there, BTW, the core makes orbit, I just got the payload nicely sectioned.

p15Cr3m.png

7YOzuWl.png

Rune. The fins obviously had to go backwards, given the news of the day and the shape of that fairing.

Edited by Rune

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

Well, the obvious thing is KAS, but if you want to keep it stock, @Azimech did a thing with an ungodly amount of parts and playing with the rigid attachment tweakable that kind of worked like a winch, IIRC. I'm sure he'll be happy to refresh all our memories momentarily! :)

Yep, I have KAS but I'haven't used the crane thingies yet, Azimech does great things, but I'm not going to stick thermometers in holes just to make things spin. :lol:

As for my project, overenginering as always..."Triop Industries, making solutions into a problem"

5jcUaeS.png

43 minutes ago, Triop said:

Yep, I have KAS but I'haven't used the crane thingies yet, Azimech does great things, but I'm not going to stick thermometers in holes just to make things spin. 

I believe the specific contraption Rune was referring to doesn't even involve any bearings. It's just a whole bunch of trusses connected end to end forming a structure that looks kind of like a spring, and stretches down to the seabed under its own weight. One would be hard pressed to come up with a simpler solution

7 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I believe the specific contraption Rune was referring to doesn't even involve any bearings. It's just a whole bunch of trusses connected end to end forming a structure that looks kind of like a spring, and stretches down to the seabed under its own weight. One would be hard pressed to come up with a simpler solution

And where can I find the thread for such a fascinating contraption ?

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Yep, I have KAS but I'haven't used the crane thingies yet, Azimech does great things, but I'm not going to stick thermometers in holes just to make things spin. :lol:

As for my project, overenginering as always..."Triop Industries, making solutions into a problem"

5jcUaeS.png

Well, when you DO want something small to spin, you will want to put antennas in holes. :sticktongue:

28 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Yup, that's the one.

20 minutes ago, Triop said:

And where can I find the thread for such a fascinating contraption ?

You'll have to summon Azi yourself for that info, I'm afraid.

Rune. Contrary to popular belief, I don't remember everything I've ever read. :P

50 minutes ago, Rune said:

You'll have to summon Azi yourself for that info, I'm afraid.

Do I look like Alladin ? ^_^

Anyway, working on a drill as we speak, thing is radioactive OP but I don't care, 30 ore in 5 minutes, I'll take it.

Tested it on dry land, forgot it had to sink, so added some "compressed water" :D

This will hunt you in your sleep:

2Ofzp3X.png

Going to need more struts...

NU1Y40u.jpg

Edit: And lights...

Edited by Triop

25 minutes ago, Triop said:

Anyway, working on a drill as we speak, thing is radioactive OP but I don't care, 30 ore in 5 minutes, I'll take it.

Tested it on dry land, forgot it had to sink, so added some "compressed water" :D

2Ofzp3X.png

NU1Y40u.jpg

Here you go:

1 hour ago, Triop said:

2Ofzp3X.png

NU1Y40u.jpg

I have one of these on my drawing boards!

18 minutes ago, Triop said:

It's an interesting subject, the oil rig, watching a docu now to learn more.

I use to delivery supplies and crew members to these type Rigs in the Gulf Of Mexico for quite a few years, that's what inspired the Crew Boat Rage Runner I built, this Offshore Platform is something I've been planning for a long while but I've been side tracked from it with other projects.