Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Test succesful, the rig and the drill works.

Going to work on a new prototype.

I need the rig to have converters, lights, tanks,more lights etc etc.

Some final pics:

kscJlkm.png

jYwNjWx.png

PnB8gHI.png

uTPPLs2.png

siRYBlJ.png

hjQ4pdw.png

There you have it, drilling ore on Kerbin 591.8 meters under the sea from a floating rig.

Pretty proud of this one, now where is my badge ? ^_^

Edited by Triop

@Rune

It works !

VBjblFw.png

Thanks, didn't know that.

Kinda glad I did not know it before, had a lot of fun using the boat to move the drill.

It will save me a lot of time in the future, so thanks again for some education. ^_^

Edited by Triop

The Cantilever Bridge Project
Update: 03.08.17

Even in the real world Bridge building has challenges that arise during it's construction and this remains true in KSP, I now have four additional craft that evolved from this project, some very useful some not, these craft will be released possibly before the Bridge is complete.  My recent progress has brought me to making a decision of this Bridge to not be so elaborate as I was hoping, the complexity, time involved and part count all have become the reason to this decision. I now have the somewhat Center Section in place after some blood, sweat and tears.......ok maybe just the tears :D. With the struggles going on with the latest work I decided to make some comedy of it on the Video. Hope you like it! 

Edited by Castille7

On 8-3-2017 at 11:50 PM, Triop said:

Test succesful, the rig and the drill works.

Going to work on a new prototype.

I need the rig to have converters, lights, tanks,more lights etc etc.

Some final pics:

kscJlkm.png

jYwNjWx.png

PnB8gHI.png

uTPPLs2.png

siRYBlJ.png

hjQ4pdw.png

There you have it, drilling ore on Kerbin 591.8 meters under the sea from a floating rig.

Pretty proud of this one, now where is my badge ? ^_^

Oh, wow!!! This is really awesome! I never was into the boat building, but now I'm going to attempt a thing like this. :D

Apparently the sideways docking port decouple force is enough to knock the legs out of alignment on my lander, making them near impossible to lock into position. Or well, it did that if I only decoupled one leg at a time. If I did them all at once, it was enough to completely bust the legs out of the hinge.

So, I redesigned them with the docking ports facing radially, which while meaning I have to be more careful about keeping them from hitting other components inside the descent stage (mainly the fuel tanks and a balance weight), should mean that the decouple forces won't work to wrench the legs sideways. It should also conveniently bounce the legs out into the deployed position. 

I also replaced the strut that went the length of the leg itself with a fuel pipe to give it the thick, insulation wrapped look (sort of), and I'm considering replacing the ones that form the upside-down Vs on the leg mounts too.

2017-03-11%2018-07-06.png

At this moment I realized I had made a careless mistake while building.

I had built the leg such that its parts connected to the lower port, and the lander connected to the upper port. 

Thus, it docks in the retracted position, instead of extended. Not very useful for landing!

Oops...

Ah well, shouldn't be take very long to fix. With any luck, the legs will be working tonight.

Edit: turns out there's not quite enough space in there for the new docking port arrangement, so I'm going to either have to figure out how to make the earlier arrangement work, or replace the fuel tanks and the RCS plume deflectors that are attached to them.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Just now, eloquentJane said:

That's a pretty nice-looking ship. What's it for?

Exploration. I wanted to make an exploration ship that was basically a moving spacestation. A permanent home in space for Kerbals. But I've made a bigger, better and a much, much more insane version of the Ark. Behold:

ojuGalh.png

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/7ZjRE

Spoiler

Hello again! Another weekend means another progress report on my vertical integration project.

kHZyxUs.png

It occurs to me that I never formally introduced the rocket I am using. This is the New Jeb, a replica of Blue Origin's New Glenn. This week I upgraded the New Jeb to its Block 2 variant. the Block 2 upgrade is mostly to bring the rocket up to spec with the version featured in Blue Origin's video released on Tuesday. One of the most notable changes being, of course, the ginormous wing strakes on the booster. I must admit I nearly had a heart attack when I saw those wings. Very unexpected! At a first glance the wings on the New Jeb may seem much too large, but I assure you they really are correct according to the video. See, it is very difficult to judge their actual size and shape because the wings are painted with blue stripes on the edges making part of the wings blend into the background and appear much sleeker. Jeff Bezos mentioned that they allow the booster to apparently land at sea without any boostback or entry burns while. It would be really cool if this maneuverability enables to land exactly were I want it to, but we'll have to see.

I also added an optional 4 meter fairing to better reflect the one in the video. The original 5.5 meter fairing will still be used when needed. Among other changes are new steerable fins on the booster, and additional docking ports on the upper stage for mounting external payload (space shuttle, anyone?). Anyways, I need a new first stage to perform tests with, so onward with the launch!

https://gfycat.com/JauntyUniformGardensnake (link if GIF wont load)

4HCeEZq.png

At this point, I mostly have New Jeb's flight profile down. Gravity turn starts at 100 m/s, pitch over to 55 degrees by the time it reaches 20 km. Stage separation at 1000 m/s.

g5KU5SL.png

iiRcaIl.png

2e5gPSl.png

Reentry over KSC!

2TSqbuD.png

f8mwDX2.png

Usually this approach would mean certain doom. There is no chance a rocket this large can land on those hills. Time to try out the new wings!

ViTqT4z.png

For the first time, instead of falling straight as a dart, the first stage booster fell with style, steering clear of the hills.

ySOOBTp.png

The booster's new found ability to steer was a pleasant surprise. Thanks Mr. Bezos!

M6wYOJH.png

LC2KuyQ.png

6CYQtf8.png

Once the booster landed, I deployed the transporter: Now equipped with jet engines!

Gz9lPDH.png

Lifting the 150 ton booster is no problem for this beast of a rover!

WzizAad.png

The transporter raced back to the runway at its top speed of... 10 m/s.

t8oO4qD.png

Meanwhile back in the VAB

Drat! I realized this would be a major problem shortly after I saw the video. The wings are too wide for the gantry crane to fit around them. 

TW65vuM.png

Several hours later, I managed to rebuild half the gantry crane. I wasn't very happy about this but it had to be done.

vydYF0N.png

Here we can see the view of Mike Kerman as he drives the booster toward the hanger. The gantry crane has been lifted out of the way to the top. The doors have also been installed correctly this time.

ZLhEFJa.png

Time to roll in!

xBUObwT.png

This is my favorite picture. The view from the ground really gives a sense of how big this is.

fAOFmgD.png

Here we go!

ZrEePJ0.png

Lining up the docking ports...

IJkSqeC.png

On docked, nearly every wheel broke, the entire VIF shook, and the doors blew off their hinges. Surprisingly good for a first try!

Mp158kC.png

I lowered the gantry crane to make sure it fits around the stage. All looks good so far!

4Zt6ujC.png

The next test was the most daunting one yet: Integrate an upper stage to the booster.

LibQ8t5.png

The upper stage was lifted and moved into position were it awaited the booster.

EtqShjk.png

UPzAj28.png

With random pieces lying on the ground and the gantry crane wobbling more than usual, I decided the test was go.

0SEcNT6.png

9ZS3TZ3.png

I "carefully" lowered the crane toward the booster.

kXYEVrs.png

Almost there...

OSmGYX1.png

Docking ports nearly aligned!

5F5zGje.png

YES!

ZZe1Yw1.png

Success! The shear awesomeness was so great that the range safely officer decided he had seen enough and everything exploded.

mwqhEZc.png

With the hangar heavily damaged and the gantry crane in shambles I called an end to the test. Both sets of docking ports did actually "dock." However they were not aligned properly in the slightest. The rocket could never fly like this.

QZpm7Dr.png

After some later analysis I realized that the extra wobbliness was due to auto-strut. With the 1st stage in the hanger, all auto-struts set to "heaviest part" connected to the booster instead of the hangar. I will put larger fuel tanks in the hangar to fix this issue. As for the integration process, I may need to add some more mechanisms to help connect the stages safely. Oh, and I may want to move the VIF off the runway next time, why that thing is packed with explosives is beyond me.

-Rocket

(WARNING: many pictures)

Edited by RocketPilot573

2 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

This has got to be some kind of record post length lol.

Oh it's definitely not. I regularly post 60 to 100 images in my various mission reports, and even up to about 200 the other day. The difference is that I just put them in spoilers.

3 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Oh it's definitely not. I regularly post 60 to 100 images in my various mission reports, and even up to about 200 the other day. The difference is that I just put them in spoilers.

3 hours ago, Castille7 said:

There's a little Eyeball that can help with this!

Well, that was kind of my point haha. I haven't seen so many pictures in a post located outside a spoiler box. :P

4 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Ah good idea! Silly me forgot about spoilers, which is odd because I use them regularly... I'll fix it now.

EDIT: and now the gif wont work... :confused:

Edited by RocketPilot573

On 3/8/2017 at 3:08 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

On 3/8/2017 at 3:09 PM, Triop said:
On 3/8/2017 at 3:29 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

On 3/12/2017 at 9:19 PM, RocketPilot573 said:

^ugh mobile

12 minutes ago, Servo said:

Let's play the "Name which airplane I'm recreating next game!"

Here's your first hint: <snip>

North American XB-70 Valkyrie?

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Shortened mobile derped stuff

The Cantilever Bridge Project
Update: CANCELED

After weeks of hard and long hours of work, I have decided to cancel further process on my Cantilever Bridge Project, this is a hard hit ;.;......the Physics Easing is not so Easing on my Bridge. Either I will redesign the Piers and try it again at a later date or wait and try again if the Physics Easing improves. Not sure at this point but I do know that this will not stop my Bridge Construction I love this stuff! I had two Bridge Projects I've been working on and ideas for three more :confused:. Anyway it is a sad day in the neighborhood :(. I will continue with the Camelback Bridge and post an update sometime.

The Heartbreak
dzck3yA.png

Spoiler

It was coming along so nicely
lYuvFtp.png

zMct8wp.png

I had some separation here

QARbCAe.png

The Last Trip Out :(

fauyFl6.png