Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Clipped 3 intakes to make it square, not sure if I like it... <snip>

Might I suggest moving the main intakes back a little bit and creating a short, box-shaped extension using small wing parts or structural panels? (Perhaps with Elevon 1 parts as the sides, with a structural panel or small control surface edge for the splitter plate). It could give you the look I think you're searching for.

Spoiler

RLmg8zn.jpg

Maybe also tilting the nose part down a bit, the point of the nose is only slightly above the level of the edge of the fuselage just above the lip of the intake, and it actually bulges down slightly below that level in-between.

Anyways, nice work so far! :)

Coincidentally, I've been creating a rough model of an X-31 in Google Sketchup, and if I ever get around to building through my long list of "planned replicas," I might make it in KSP. Considering my ADHD it is questionable I will ever get through to it.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

37 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Might I suggest moving the main intakes back a little bit and creating a short, box-shaped extension using small wing parts or structural panels? (Perhaps with Elevon 1 parts as the sides, with a structural panel or small control surface edge for the splitter plate). It could give you the look I think you're searching for.

Hide contents

RLmg8zn.jpg

Maybe also tilting the nose part down a bit, the point of the nose is only slightly above the level of the edge of the fuselage just above the lip of the intake, and it actually bulges down slightly below that level in-between.

Anyways, nice work so far! :)

Coincidentally, I've been creating a rough model of an X-31 in Google Sketchup, and if I ever get around to building through my long list of "planned replicas." Considering my ADHD it is questionable I will ever get through to it.

Already did the nose tilt, also worked on the wings.

Using elevons is a good idea, I will try that.

what I have now:

gGaxDE5.png

j0MQiNA.png

4kRZg4H.png

Flies awesome, super maneuverable :cool:

Not easy making this stock, long way to go...

300px-X-31_Aircraft_Specifications.svg.p

rok_x-31.jpg

Edited by Triop

22 minutes ago, Triop said:

Already did the nose tilt, also worked on the wings.

Using elevons is a good idea, I will try that.

<snip>

Flies awesome, super maneuverable :cool:

Not easy making this stock, long way to go...

<snip>

I just saw that docu a month or so ago! I almost forgot to mention: perhaps radial drogue chutes could stand in for the thrust vectoring paddles? Or airbrakes if you want them to move (though they would be a bit big). Dunno if you can have them both look proportional and move though.

2 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I just saw that docu a month or so ago! I almost forgot to mention: perhaps radial drogue chutes could stand in for the thrust vectoring paddles? Or airbrakes if you want them to move (though they would be a bit big). Dunno if you can have them both look proportional and move though.

Smaller airbrakes would be perfect vec pads., if I would allow myself to use 1 mod it would be tweakscale...:lol:

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I was actually thinking of something kind of like this:

2017-04-18%2019-51-53.png

But your version looks good too. :)

It brings out more detail, but to be honest, it doesn't look smooth to me.

The reclipa replica I'm doing is so small, this detail would stand out.

But thanks to your idea I have the look that I wanted, a piece of you will always be on this plane.... :lol:

I've got a few more craft in the blender:

Hawker Siddeley/ McDonnell Douglas Harrier II

SVRnlWq.png

It's got swiveling engines and everything :D

wOr58aF.png

I'm releasing it on JotD today, but after it finishes, I'll probably clean this one up a lot.

g9zTb0K.png

Also, this is my first flight test of my F-22 Raptor. It performs well, is semi-part conservative, and looks cool.

R0P7FYk.png

The shape isn't quite right, so some tinkering is in order. Any suggestions?

What I have now, fighting with the wings, don't like them.<_<

tWs7lbv.png

Mods would make this sooo much easier...:lol:

7 minutes ago, Servo said:

I'm releasing it on JotD today, but after it finishes, I'll probably clean this one up a lot.

Love JotD, somebody should start a Russian edition....:wink:

Will the X-29 and 31 fly by ?

Edit: *BLEEB*, you just answered my question on JotD thread. :lol:

Edited by Triop

17 minutes ago, Triop said:

What I have now, fighting with the wings, don't like them.<_<

<Snip>

Mods would make this sooo much easier...:lol:

Lookin' good!

If you swapped the positions of the elevons you could get the slightly forward swept trailing edge. You could clip in two pairs of elevon #3s on the fuselage with just the edges showing for the strakes, if you want those details.

@Servo Nice!... Dat harrier...

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

2 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Lookin' good!

If you swapped the positions of the elevons you could get the slightly forward swept trailing edge. You could clip in two pairs of elevon #3s on the fuselage with just the edges showing for the strakes, if you want those details.

Thanks for the tip mate, enough for me for one day...

tbc.

48 minutes ago, Servo said:

I've got a few more craft in the blender:

Hawker Siddeley/ McDonnell Douglas Harrier II

SVRnlWq.png

It's got swiveling engines and everything :D

wOr58aF.png

g9zTb0K.png

Also, this is my first flight test of my F-22 Raptor. It performs well, is semi-part conservative, and looks cool.

R0P7FYk.png

Yes. The trailing edge and various trailing FCSs of the main wing-their angles and amplitudes are all wrong. Look up a three-view of a 22 if you haven't already. Also, the nose is more toucan-esque (go a few pages back in the Airplane Plus thread, you'll see what I mean) and the wings have a weird downward flare.

2 hours ago, Servo said:

I would call that Raptor done! trying to get it any better to me is entirely too critical, looks great!

Found my "stealth" jet from a few weeks ago. Ignore the YF-22 name, because it's not supposed to be a replica. XD

It's also a test bed for my bomb bay doors and the locking mechanism. All shots here were done with the bomb bay doors open.

7g5rMEy.jpg

QIQQwBC.jpg

b5EzkYF.jpg

UGKZUyL.jpg

It's also missing many VLO features. The nosecone was also a slapdash job, mostly due to the increased drag from a wing panel based radome.

Edited by andrew123

10 hours ago, andrew123 said:

Found my "stealth" jet from a few weeks ago. Ignore the YF-22 name, because it's not supposed to be a replica. XD

It's also a test bed for my bomb bay doors and the locking mechanism. All shots here were done with the bomb bay doors open.QIQQwBC.jpg

It's also missing many VLO features. The nosecone was also a slapdash job, mostly due to the increased drag from a wing panel based radome.

How did you manage that bomb bay? It is hinged, or is there another trick?

Speaking of F-22s, I took @EVA_Reentry's suggestion with the wing chords and nose. Here's a side-by-side comparrisson:

RAIwcpa.png

Pretty subtle stuff. The sweep angle was increased slightly, wingspan was decreased slightly. The nose isn't any shorter, but it's flatter.

NsS0mXZ.png

This will probably be the release version for JotD, since I'm really happy with both the performance and the aesthetics of the design. It can hit mach 2 at altitude (mach 1.25 at sea level). Rate of climb and maneuverability are comparable to the real thing. The only capability it lacks (beyond weapons/weapons bays) is the supercruise without afterburners. It tops out at about 290m/s without the 'burners.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

How did you manage that bomb bay? It is hinged, or is there another trick?

Current version is just hinged. The most frustrating part is trying to figure out a system to automatically extend and retract them: all of the current ideas I have would take away from the precious internal bomb bay space too much, and they are just individual craft.

I saw a video where somebody took two of the FAT control surfaces to make bomb bays on an F-22 (i think. If it wasn't, it was something similar). Seems quite nice, and can be toggled with an action group from the main craft.

6 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I saw a video where somebody took two of the FAT control surfaces to make bomb bays on an F-22 (i think. If it wasn't, it was something similar). Seems quite nice, and can be toggled with an action group from the main craft.

I'll have to explore just how far the larger control surfaces turn, though my experiments with the smaller ones didn't work too well.

I was also trying to make the doors kinda realistic, by allowing them to open on the ground. Those huge control surfaces may present a problem.

On the other hand, I have used them as doors on my AGS prototype.

The bearing will be switched out with the race ball bearing when it is developed enough, with the gun being replaced by the one that's being developed on the hamilton IFV. Autoloader will have to be something else entirely though.

ro13KgI.png

Ocu63Oy.png