Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On January 19, 2014 at 5:40 AM, Giggleplex777 said:

I've been stuck with this guy for A YEAR and I still haven't gotten around to releasing it. :/

2kJqJpM.jpg

The Odysseus STS' launch was delayed for almost a month.

<shnip, shnip, shnippity shnipp>

That is a Lockheed Starfighter.

The Cantilever Bridge Project
(Land Based)

This will be a new beginning for the Cantilever Bridge, the first project was planned to cross water and this is not working with the physics of the game for this type structure. The new location will be here in the picture below. The project will be much the same, a construction on sight with updates of progress, fall backs, mishaps and even throw in the towel!..... Ok there will not be any towel throwing we will deliver some kind of Bridge when it's all said and done.

My joint project partner @klond wasn't in the action until recently when I needed some Equipment for this Mega Structure, I needed a Crane or Lifting Unit and his Elevator seem to be the tool of choice. The Elevator was working great but it needed a braking system to hold the Lift in place, I tried a few ideas and nothing was working so I went to the OEM and sure enough Klond Technologies Group came through! Ok that's just something I came up with and thought it suits him (Klond Technologies Group) hope he don't mind me throwing that out there :D

Plan B is to jump over the Administration Building, this could have been done a few ways that could have been much easier but wheres the fun in that? The pictures will show where we are in the project thus far.

First Assembly, the Bridge Entrance
(Hey it needs to look good at night too!)

uBStjyB.png

Next Assembly, measure the height needed to be reached

A3vBGNI.png

Next Assembly, the Center Section and how to get it on top of the Building
Rocketry of course! Nothing like a VTOL Bridge 
:D

(Man that smoke is looking better everyday!!)

izQWQMv.png

Ok that's becoming too much clutter on the thread, see the rest here

Spoiler

Here is one of my Ooops! I was releasing the Engine packages before landing and this caused a little problem

IqL7j2f.png

Klond's Crane was looking awesome on the scene! Turned out not to be the best weapon of choice

SfAvuxW.png

Here's Klond's Elevator that is working out fantastic right now!
(I needed the Bridge to be level to make a connection with another section of Bridge and this is where we are in the project at this time)

jFICZTT.png

Edited by Castille7

Battle Axe
Update 4.29.17

Testing Weapons, with a name like Battle Axe I should have weapons! I am using an old technique that I once saw @Cupcake... use on an old VTOL craft he built which was some amazing craft and video. Not sure who came up with these little rockets (Speratrons) attached to a Coupling but they work very nice, I used them once on my F14 named Rapid Fire and now on this craft. Warning! (This Animation is a little jerky and could cause nausea)

VDdBbwu.gif

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:01 PM, evader said:

My greatest in-progress failed creation.

Reveal hidden contents

hbmNgaJ.gif

Made up of 4 highly inefficient subassemblies consisting of independent, over-engineered tilting engines that change mode from a single button...sequence.  With a whopping range of 1km.

An up scaled version of my swivel VTOL subassembly.  This time with 4 pods, vectors instead of aerospikes & a heavy mining rover in the cargo bay.  This VTOL is my most reliable yet in terms of transitioning to horizontal mode.  Because I don't use any mods to aid in construction, I'm unable to reproduce such reliability in other models.  Just don't pull back on the pitch or it will melt the internal docking ports used for engine attachment (I got lucky in this video & they didn't explode).  Oh, and don't go above 50% throttle or the tiny docking ports will snap under pressure.

The probes inside aren't used to control the swiveling, only to allow the small thrusters to remain on while rotating the engines.  It only takes a (combo) press of a button to change flight modes.  All 8 engines rotate independently so any number of these subassemblies can be duplicated for larger craft while still working with a single action group.  Range has been increased a tiny bit too but it's still a long way off my goal of an infini range SSTO that carries a mining rover and can VTOL off kerbin and reach minmus without orbital refuelling (is such a feat even possible?).

I'm proud of its ugliness.  It screams I shouldn't be airborne yet I'm breaking all the expert's rules of good aerodynamic design.

Edited by evader

In the time in-between studying for final exams, working on my Apollo replica, and preparing a project to [TOP SECRET] with [REDACTED], I've been working on a new helicopter.

9a4ay0Z.jpg

HHcTd9S.jpg

Basically it's supposed to be a bigger, better, badder successor to my old Titan Mk1-3. Plans are for it to include 50% more engine power (possibly giving it >105t max payload), better reliability, and a cargo hold and ramp better suited to rovers/tanks/stuff than your average Mk3 fuselage. Oh, and comfier crew accommodations.

Prototype:

2017-04-29%2020-46-54.png

To do: Add a 3rd blower to each engine. Insert another fuselage section. Install actuator for ramp.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

After posting screenshots of my newest helicopters on Facebook someone asked me how to build bearings because he wanted to build a crane. I got inspired and after three hours I have this thing, using a combination of ore tanks pumping resource and reaction wheels. It's a crane/giant robot arm/swing. And it can throw things XD. The truck you see is roughly 8t. Now to make it even stronger and finish it.

Not as cool as @klond's VAB crane or the vertical crane using a screw a few years back but I'm happy with it, it's my first.

On 2017-4-29 at 6:52 PM, Gman_builder said:

If any of you know me well enough you'll know that i can't pass up a good old build challenge.

For @erasmusguy SSTo Float Plane current progress.

20Re7lr.pngseMWi5e.png

not the prettiest thing I've ever build but it works :DcNcVIhX.png

Edited by erasmusguy

Progress:

wUYJ7oO.jpg

Extended the fuselage, added the 3rd blower to each engine and changed the rotors out for a design that uses the extra power more effectively. Also shifted the rear motor down to the same level as the fore one, and used an extended mast to stagger the rotor. This helps to keep the forward rotor blades from hitting the rear motor's forward blower when they expand at high power levels. It's flying alright for the most part, when I don't fly it into things.

I had a rather amusing incident in which I careened into the admin pool after hitting the flagpole

uzwYTCf.jpg

I'm currently having a problem that blades in the aft rotor occasionally collide into and M-Beam 200 I-Beam, with the ensuing imbalance causing the heli to crash. It doesn't really make much sense, because the only I-Beams on this thing are in the spine of the fuselage, a good 2 to 2.5 m below the aft rotor plane, and hidden beneath a whole bunch of other parts. And the rotor doesn't seem to be flexing anywhere near enough to reach there. I'm kind of worried I might need to rebuild the fuselage to get rid of the problem.

NCQXWvW.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

27 minutes ago, Azimech said:

@EpicSpaceTroll139maybe it's an idea to use Notepad++ to find every instance of that I-Beam 200 in (a copy of) your craft file? See how they are connected. Maybe there's a false entry.

Sounds like a reasonable idea. How would I know the false one from the good ones though?

On Sun Apr 30 2017 at 1:20 AM, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

In the time in-between studying for final exams, working on my Apollo replica, and preparing a project to [TOP SECRET] with [REDACTED], I've been working on a new helicopter.

9a4ay0Z.jpg

HHcTd9S.jpg

Basically it's supposed to be a bigger, better, badder successor to my old Titan Mk1-3. Plans are for it to include 50% more engine power (possibly giving it >105t max payload), better reliability, and a cargo hold and ramp better suited to rovers/tanks/stuff than your average Mk3 fuselage. Oh, and comfier crew accommodations.

Prototype:

2017-04-29%2020-46-54.png

To do: Add a 3rd blower to each engine. Insert another fuselage section. Install actuator for ramp.

absolutely amazing ship.  i would love to see this baby fly.  do you have gif or video? 

the design itself is also beautiful. 10/10

Update with my progress on the X-planes project. I finished the B-29, X-1, X-2, X-3, B-52 and X-15 (the B-52 and X-15 were built a while ago). The X-1 passed Mach 1 at an altitude of 10 km, and the X-2 surpassed Mach 2 and 3 at an altitude of 14 km, with its top speed being 1,113 m/s at the time the engines cut out. All planes are below 100 parts, excluding the B-52 and B-29. The X-3 Stiletto did not pass Mach 1 (which it didn't in real life, either), and is a very maneuverable plane. All are rocket-powered except the X-3. Unfortunately, the X-15 was not able to pass Mach 6 or reach 100,000 feet before its fuel ran out. It did reach Mach 3, though. The X-4 and X-5 are coming soon, so keep an eye out. Here are some pictures:

Spoiler

ZhOPKPE.png

eupXIhF.png

kzvQUeb.png

pWGBeO5.png

X-2 "Starbuster"

23hFTeB.png

X-2, X-3, and X-1 in order.

QnjDwUj.png

And the X-15

5 hours ago, xendelaar said:

absolutely amazing ship.  i would love to see this baby fly.  do you have gif or video? 

the design itself is also beautiful. 10/10

Thanks! The magical I-beams problem may force me to change the design a bit, but I think I might know some ways to minimize that. Anyways, I don't currently have a gif or video, but I did download OBS, so whenever I get around to installing that*, I'll be able to make videos of it and my other helicopters.

*probably tomorrow or the morning of the day after tomorrow, as I currently have a whole bunch of school stuff I'm doing on the comp and don't have time to close and reopen everything.

On 2017-4-21 at 3:37 AM, Munbro Kerman said:

@Triop @Servo Thanks to both of you. I'll have another image out in a few minutes.

-EDIT-

MiG-21 Update 3

Reduced the weight significantly, now it is ~10 tons. Removed useless air intakes on the wing, got rid of z-fighting on the entire craft. Improved maneuverability a bit, although it is the best I can do without changing the appearance of the craft. Here she is.

clkNSIs.png

WkrZhiI.png nZdu5mI.png

TWR Dry: 0.68

TWR Wet: 1.14

55 parts

Special thanks to @Triop and @Servo for helping me out with z-fighting and the overall performance of the aircraft.

Now, is there any last thing that should be changed before I place the final product on KerbalX?

Great job, now I feel the urge to further tweak my own MIG-21. Do you mind if I lend your idea of clipping the engine with a circular intake?