Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

10 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Just built this thing, and its my new favorite toy.

It can do nearly 300m/s at sea level, and pull 25Gs in a turn.

Carrier capable.

Cool drone, does it land vertically then?

I created an 'A-2 Heavy Shuttle' using B9, and if you care, you should notice that on some photos there are three engines, and on others there are five. That's because the original configuration was one big 2.5m engine, with a quad of RAPIERS. The thrust to weight was really bad, and it lacked speed and performance. I landed it somewhere, and switched the back end out for three 2.5m engines, and no RAPIERS. This made it extremely powerful, and I was reaching 800m/s in about 5 minutes (with a space station module in the cargo bay!) View the pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/M3ahVudR9eZxehgo1

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

I started working on a small powered glider for Duna loosely based on NASA's ARES mission concept.

http://imgur.com/a/9Fspx

My original plan was to use the underslung booster to get the glider up to speed (~500m/s), then jettison it for better glide performance.  However initial testing at Duna showed that the glider was not aerodynamically stable above about 150m/s without the booster attached.  The glider flies just fine on Kerbin up to about 400m/s at 10 km, but when I jettison the booster on Duna, the nose begins processing about the prograde vector until it loses all of its speed.  I'm finding Duna aerodynamics to be very strange and sluggish.

I'm going to try to keep working on it tho.

Seeming as I use B9, I spent last night creating a small service/utility spaceplane. I use it to ferry small amounts of cargo to places (other ships, colonies, space stations), or swap out the cargo bay for a crew cabin, seating 4. I docked with my newly-launched space station in orbit, to transfer the crew. See it here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WpsDtcmKpAlp6eOt2

On 7/14/2017 at 3:10 AM, captainb said:

I started working on a small powered glider for Duna loosely based on NASA's ARES mission concept.

http://imgur.com/a/9Fspx

My original plan was to use the underslung booster to get the glider up to speed (~500m/s), then jettison it for better glide performance.  However initial testing at Duna showed that the glider was not aerodynamically stable above about 150m/s without the booster attached.  The glider flies just fine on Kerbin up to about 400m/s at 10 km, but when I jettison the booster on Duna, the nose begins processing about the prograde vector until it loses all of its speed.  I'm finding Duna aerodynamics to be very strange and sluggish.

I'm going to try to keep working on it tho.

Build the glider without the booster, get your COM and COL right, then add the booster and move it around till you get the COM and COL to a good point again, then it should be Aerodynamically stable in both configurations, from what it says in the Ares mission briefing it was never meant to land anyway, it was deployed at altitude and would glide for an hour or two

Edited by selfish_meme

Time for some not so good news.

I'm currently writing 4 different posts related to the KNS shipyard project. Was originally 5, but my super-battleship got corrupted due to a crash when it was just millimeters away from reaching the testing phase.

While i was in the process of making a test video on the new destroyer, i noticed something.

The K.S.S Great White II, that i was supposed to use as an "enemy-ship" exploded into a million pieces once the physics kicked in.

So, naturally i checked the entire fleet to see if other ships where affected.

And here are picks of all the ships that want to explode once the physics kick in.

tWupoRh.png

Firstly we have the Great White II.

FhvnhFa.png

Then we have the Killyoustrious.

0V8QsHK.png

And here is the K.S.S Freedom

aWKrgJL.png

And finally, here is the K.S.S Bongo.

Yes, it is one of the ships that i'm writing a post for. Luckily i had shot a demonstration video of it quite awhile ago, so thankfully i can still share it with you guys, tough sadly it wont be possible to use it.

There was also an issue with exploding main engines on the Krusible and the Avenger.

Thankfully, i was able to fix it by detaching the main engines from the MK-2 tanks and then reattaching them to the MK-3 tanks.

So yea, as you can see, luck hasn't really gone hand in hand with what is supposed to be my proper return to the forums (well, as far as posting crafts is concerned).

3 planes and 4 ships broken by the new update that need to be binned, unless 1.3.1 brings some magic fix.

And yea, i kinda sucks :(, but it really doesn't matter, as i can always make some better, more efficient designs to replace the old ones :wink:.

36 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I've decided to make a 1:1 replica of the F-22, because why not?

Thoughts on the cockpit? I think it's a bit too short.

1280px-Two_F-22A_Raptor_in_column_flight

PQHjc4i.jpg

n4KvZAo.jpg

I would probably slope the control surfaces a bi more drastically. And maybe not upturn the nose so much.

14 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

" exploded into a million pieces once the physics kicked in.

Load it in with hack gravity on lowest setting and 'ease in physics' turned on. Then see where it flexes, apply struts.

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

Load it in with hack gravity on lowest setting and 'ease in physics' turned on. Then see where it flexes, apply struts.

Hmm, im a bit afraid that the fix won't be a easy as applying some few struts. As with the new Firflash and MD-11 replicas that i made, no matter how many struts i added, the results where still explosive. But, i have to give it a shot.

Thanks Jim :).

Edit: looks like i found the source of the problem.

3cr1mfr.png

The Bridge doesn't seem to want to be there.

Second edit:

lO1ZUO6.png

Yea, as i taught, the struts did nothing.

It's like shooting in the dark after this. And as i said, i may even be impossible to fix.

So, i think it would be easier to just rebuild the thing from scratch. Would give a good chance to improve it and make it a little more light on the part count.

I may even make it in the same style/scale as the K.S.S Nelson.

Edited by kapteenipirk

1 hour ago, kapteenipirk said:

Hmm, im a bit afraid that the fix won't be a easy as applying some few struts. As with the new Firflash and MD-11 replicas that i made, no matter how many struts i added, the results where still explosive. But, i have to give it a shot.

Thanks Jim :).

Edit: looks like i found the source of the problem.

3cr1mfr.png

The Bridge doesn't seem to want to be there.

Second edit:

lO1ZUO6.png

Yea, as i taught, the struts did nothing.

It's like shooting in the dark after this. And as i said, i may even be impossible to fix.

So, i think it would be easier to just rebuild the thing from scratch. Would give a good chance to improve it and make it a little more light on the part count.

I may even make it in the same style/scale as the K.S.S Nelson.

Does it still explode when you load it in with hack gravity and ease in physics?

34 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Does it still explode when you load it in with hack gravity and ease in physics?

I don't really know what the ease in physics means, but with hacked gravity you get discombobulation and a cloud of parts.

2 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

I don't really know what the ease in physics means, but with hacked gravity you get discombobulation and a cloud of parts.

'Ease in physics' is a new setting that slowly applies the joint physics for fragile craft. I forget where it is, I haven't played in months.. It there somewhere though. 

42 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

'Ease in physics' is a new setting that slowly applies the joint physics for fragile craft. I forget where it is, I haven't played in months.. It there somewhere though. 

I think it's on by default.

Got a bit of an interior happening for the Discovery, complete with Hibernation pod

AurbuVM.png

Been working on tilt-rotor aircraft. Most of the effort is going into the engines. Now that I'm this far along, I'm realizing I might have a problem with the rotor lift trying to wrench the current hinge design around, as the hinge is off-center to allow the blowers to remain attached to the main craft.

2017-07-16%2021-46-05.png

2017-07-17%2009-56-33.png

I'm now thinking that I might swap the rotors from the current turbine-driven type to a tip-jet type as this would give it more power from a more compact package, and it's going to likely use a kOS script to adjust the blade pitch anyways. That would also allow me to center the hinge and thus eliminate the torque problem.

Desided id spend a few hours today and rebuild the K.S.S Bongo in a new improved form.

It's basically been built in the same way as the Nelson, a replica with a personal touch.

And here it basically is, tough it still needs some finishing touches.

Here's some "Old VS New" pics.

Spoiler

gNsrWgS.png

New.

9cKaFrp.png

Old.

lguAizm.png

New.

m9M79EW.png

Old.

And here's some closeup shots of the new one.

BPNDZEJ.png

hYQG8E3.png

At first, i wanted to crate a similar scale recreation that would have been pretty-much identical to the original.

But, after placing down a couple of parts, i realized it would be better if i just built it in the same scale/style in witch the Nelson was built.

Compared to the original, the new one will have about 400-300 less parts once it's done :D, it will have a dummy catapult instead of a working one (the catapult i used on the original was 160 parts, plane included).

It will also probably be even more effective in combat compared to the original, and will probably have better speed and maneuverability. But that remains to be seen.

Personally i like the new one better.

But what do you guys think, do you like the Kerbal scaled version better, or the newer smaller scale replica.

Edited by kapteenipirk

1 hour ago, kapteenipirk said:

BPNDZEJ.pnggNsrWgS.png

Lots of detail.  That superstructure is RIGHT.

I can imagine slowly approching in a submarine at periscope depth, quickly flipping through the ship identification book as firing solutions are being worked out.

Edited by klond

I present to you, the new 'R-1 Falcon V/STOL Shuttle'!

The Falcon prepares for takeoff!yqnbTKBhmlnZr8D3CXAKZ3j-ATIRa0Ruds3g-sAa1EtvK-iVkttCVW9Euxrv_ixpR-g7-f07AvX-Z9lmainGzLeoE7GXBqV7x3PSqHk2HL7QWLya2ubj6hzkc5ulkUhd0ADdjoketJN_ubykIvJA9G8-C22Z686QQYgC4X_fY_1RoLPrwLt4bQLhtizMQ2pUpn5ENf8nUPE-oYqHV2qxjER41z4zfNJN6lnCwtD7vJfE8cbkOAhZgx-fOo6JX0nxSB8E7AFkbI6BmUEsaW37sDi_6iXYs7_DwVFNvCgrfhsUuxGuFCt5npSpsReekXG9hpoAo7NtHnZv-4FBewoldNQzDWd4mzeUfWb1RrJsmone2mMmGr9EZvT8c4wMBDhPHqRYR8p-cxaN1VrJqFfYnUEU3WnnLDP3sOLogbp6ZN0ECS04ompfcQ7FKDgdZm3xk4DbWXQJeDMWj1oaRza_GMnMEsw4AOR88qWsWazuJQAsxBZFTZ1cvQHailNViCkE_we6nIwepS-3y0XCMnq5F-8i9mmGPLU_ftS-f_2TIbRPHjOhfnPXDEm8Axt0H9SX_sXtWPrWIctLpeP4WSq26jIk9KrCh1LtCN4VDp1WkHW8zLIea4-9=w1198-h673-noEngines engaged, it soars into the air above!ylAeZ5g4pwSnWzZwxQB4UyFgngW742CmO0bC2b1C-KruoYZJuyGxQAwkV8TrlDOiYwDbIxUIIvF_eHGTpuLTtLe_YnPn1O-brEG5kdeAohJM327b-K9auk1RMdQwpQ8dlqWZhaZ0TlDagyMpXrm06CRNHHE3P3Vg0SPiXMnKTpOEZhpQkySoTOIU9Cyqbjmi8okPd20Tk4hziGO6vssIHvzOiynhJPf6erFxif8dwe-2P4cKVtied7pr21r9kYcgii_GNpFlB0yIhdyDD9NIdCIGPYkyRsl5nniDcaexW-Flo_E5bP5wWbC_L9Kd8iS0DijGG5Cip8qIxq6bwEIcNyq8jsPT3pKihullYhAzJ-cOENN_vCigs7zDkD8_AfSe0BfApwFUC8xuehM9zK9-glPL3HEcPOywFHrJG8Rt8PB6tSUsIdvEMn2fHx_SGNkgQ_Pp_FofjytACbcFLOQd245xTh12n33L4SBP-87Firw7-gseA1ZJWPWIrHFnYQvRa0upT6_Pjh8ouH1Jl9QQDBE3YeXpdEPweEAtPl4TtIbkf_xBqoLfqoxfz1iI8UIHX8aRiQfjMLWpVCo2VjceAkHJ6-P-FUefPwB9ZPteFKfhCbClkmM6=w388-h219-noAnd, lands again after a successful test flight!_WZh2m1qzPfsvzipjhAwEUWcOx_Yt7NkCYQJD7NQCjBynmplGhxRtUiC0IDHsTwIFxTNTV9fcYzrmPZGdtJUIxegMw0Wfhcxlfta_OtwPllTm1BNHWa58XsPCVuXN3Gs9LYfInumMXsCdbQfg--DGcGBmQNwrwLLEXzOJ4Sn5jWVzJ5MJlwlxSN_t0cRzGLca5-ZGcgyQbFaKVlJ2NcJWNaNvXbBQ6ZscwRCFkhRRTs7oCeeg-dwhPKjXtr7d2U3pX8YcX9g_YMDZ-gS998SfHHYAq8_O32r9py_YGHzx9TZc309NM5Xs_rqdZ1eNeBW10Zi8-dPjW8Xq17HmtVBSVz98TD2YPGdSaoQpDZoN9s9sE283xa6pcarA0QseLeh5s0bILPY8K1rNBUWcr2D67iyujRhjmRg3CcwQYyhtPakkgyl_1qhcxh6DyL86amWaXak6DtcvnUzYE3IwnRA3ZCab0zLBVDUd1eETq552RGgQorZiMPFTVA66FQ8RL0WHHOOzdwGV5bgQ6t1Yzd4d2vebeyYnfogwofocofKbjZ832_NdS83QpMAL2YofDNvZzM5mdxGmKj9P0XRzClZVwWnkE74kluvoKdQhBVCPQQEdVhisP1l=w1198-h673-no

The Cantilever Bridge Project
Update 7.17.17

The progress with this project has been very little at a time as most of us know, but we are moving forward. With half of the Bridge near complete we were able to drive to the top deck. The sections are not connected properly but we are able to climb smoothly to the top. After enjoying the view I jokingly ran off the end of the bridge, took a photo and I looked closely to notice another Engineering task, the overhang on the building is underneath the bridge! :o This is surprising yet more fun at the same time. The solution will be to adjust the bridge piers so they can rest on top of the overhang. I've managed to position one section and got some measurements and ideas on what needs to be done for this section. 

The plan when this Project is done will be to also release a game save for those who would rather ride across without all the hassle of building the Bridge.

Looking pretty cool I think :cool:

ycJuqUd.png

Spoiler

During this stress test I noticed the Vehicles will need to be light in weight, the heavier vehicles are causing the deck to stress too much.

rhLz5ZP.png

On top, nothing shaking

RXuFVMg.png

Night shot with the lights on

7ntlJer.png

Joking around here and made my discovery
I actually knew this would be close to being a problem but wasn't sure until now

HQVBnsZ.png

Observing the Situation

kWSip28.png

dUCAyta.png

For those interested in weaponry but not willing to install BDA, I've made a ray gun as a request from a friend. It fires protium protons.

The mod will have only two parts: a synchrotron (modified ISRU) and a nozzle (modified ion engine). Naturally this weapon sits in the realm of science fiction.

6y5BM8h.png

It has a range of 3 clicks and works in every environment.

Edited by Azimech

7 hours ago, klond said:

Lots of detail.  That superstructure is RIGHT.

I can imagine slowly approching in a submarine at periscope depth, quickly flipping through the ship identification book as firing solutions are being worked out.

I don't think it would be all that difficult to identify the Kongo class, mainly because of that uniquely placed catapult that is between the rear turrets.

As for a firing solution, a torpedo or two near one of the main barbettes should result in a nice magazine detonation, or at-least it does in WoWs anyways.

Does anyone here remember the Stearwing D45?

I've been trying to make a replica that works in 1.3. So far, I've got this stripped-down version:

7xeabYw.png

...which can barely get to orbit even without all the drag-inducing ladders and RCS nozzles...

mn22ISA.png

...and has some slight problems with re-entry. Not pictured is me being unable to pitch the nose up without setting all the control surfaces to 150%.

ohvgLj7.png

It's not perfect, not by a long shot. Methinks I've a lot of tweaking to do before I can call this finished.