Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

Tried those out. Seem to be very smooth....

Yeah they are a total game changer. That's it, landing gear bearings are officially "out". Now comes the long road of converting all of my old aircraft and helicopter engines to the new type. They can still fail but seem stronger than antenna & solar panels.

And here's an animation of my piston engine.

Edited by Azimech

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Tried those out. Seem to be very smooth....

They are great it must be said. The first person to use the RCS balls as bearing was the mighty @sgt_flyer in his excellent Canadarm.

@klond was the first to team them up with my type of thermometer bearings making some excellent bearing with them. RCS balls are great, solid but too big for the door hinges I use so I still stick to the tiny antenna/thermos for those. :)

Edited by Majorjim!

9 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Yup that mod does help in bearing design although trial and error is a good alternative. I never used that mod in any of my inital trials and thermo designs.

Download any of @klond's designs that use his RCS bearing to see hoe to make a working one.

14 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

I've gotta start using this new bearing. Any tips?

See above. They have been out in the KSP-o-sphere for months now folks! Download more of @klond's stuff..! :rolleyes:

So, i was building another ship today, a 50% scale replica of the U.S.S Indianapolis CA-35.

And just like the super-battleship that i was building some time ago, it got corrupted...Tough in a very interesting way.

Usually when these things get corrupted, it's the same result, everything is broken and nothing can be salvaged.

All around very odd, it's broken and not broken all at the same time :confused:.

Because of that i don't know if i should make a proper post about it.

My F-15 is almost done - I just need to load it out with air-to-air missiles and other goodies. Also, @MiffedStarfish, this is another possible take on cokcpits, though I feel like your idea has potential. Graviolis match the color really well, too.

gDTkwYn.png

The F-15 ACTIVE is also included, which was the main reason for the replica.

nLwFFqO.png

Just like my F-14, this F-15 is at 100% scale. It's bigger than most people think.

3 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Are you planning a F-16 after it?

I know what you mean about the scale thing. 

Maybe, I guess going 14, 15, 16 is only logical. That said, I'm going to college soon, and have a few other full-scale craft in the hangar (an A-10 most notably. I rebuilt my GAU-8 based on one of @klond's designs, but have yet to put it on an airframe). I also have an oversized AV-8B engine setup that I haven't finished yet, either. 

And full-scale is tricky for one main reason - kerbals aren't full scale. You have to basically double the size of cockpits, control surfaces, and engines to get a good replica. All that amounts to high part counts (the F-15 is 300 parts unarmed, the armed F-14 was pushing 600) and poor performance (the F-14 tops out at 250m/s in a dive, and the F-15 ACTIVE can touch 300m/s in level flight, with six Panthers going full burner). Basically, it's a headache to build and fly, but the craft look really good when it's done.

2 hours ago, Servo said:

Maybe, I guess going 14, 15, 16 is only logical. That said, I'm going to college soon, and have a few other full-scale craft in the hangar (an A-10 most notably. I rebuilt my GAU-8 based on one of @klond's designs, but have yet to put it on an airframe). I also have an oversized AV-8B engine setup that I haven't finished yet, either. 

And full-scale is tricky for one main reason - kerbals aren't full scale. You have to basically double the size of cockpits, control surfaces, and engines to get a good replica. All that amounts to high part counts (the F-15 is 300 parts unarmed, the armed F-14 was pushing 600) and poor performance (the F-14 tops out at 250m/s in a dive, and the F-15 ACTIVE can touch 300m/s in level flight, with six Panthers going full burner). Basically, it's a headache to build and fly, but the craft look really good when it's done.

I noticed this issue with performance as well, today's stream had me starting a YF-23 replica.

Day 1 progress on the YF-23: (next planned stream is saturday at 7pm central, possibly earlier) Oh, and that's 204 parts right here so far.

Edited by He_162

@Servo Try using fuel cells, their drag in numbers is immense, I am seeing 650+ kN worth of drag when using 150 fuel cells or so. consider a fuel cell (at mach 1) a engine pushing the opposite direction of the momentum with a force of 4kN.

Here's a WIP I've been anxious to get complete but I keep getting side tracked with other fun stuff I'd like to finish first. Please know this will be a long time before it's released as some most of my projects are :D. I started this one in February :confused:

Mini B25-Mitchell
Upf6tvd.png

Design Work

Spoiler

bX9w9zd.png

Cuemgs1.png

Edited by Castille7

In a different topic @erasmusguy mentioned stock warthunder. This was a dream from long ago, around March 2015, just after the creation of the first stock turboprops. Those were huge, heavy and with high part count. Plus we were flying with Errordynamics™ and FAR wasn't capable of doing anything useful with our propellers.

But I believe it's time. FAR is fine nowadays and NeoAero works for turboprops, with adjusted drag values.

Time to find the BDA guns I adapted for the WW2 Fighter challenge, Almost exactly 2 years ago. Nevermind, still sitting in my Dropbox account.

Time to think about starting a new challenge. This time you don't just build an airframe, you build your engine and propeller as well.

This crate isn't exactly beautiful but it gets the job done. Low drag, nice top speed (100+ with adjusted drag) and not too heavy.

Who's interested?

On 12/08/2017 at 6:48 AM, Azimech said:

In a different topic @erasmusguy mentioned stock warthunder. This was a dream from long ago, around March 2015, just after the creation of the first stock turboprops. Those were huge, heavy and with high part count. Plus we were flying with Errordynamics™ and FAR wasn't capable of doing anything useful with our propellers.

But I believe it's time. FAR is fine nowadays and NeoAero works for turboprops, with adjusted drag values.

Time to find the BDA guns I adapted for the WW2 Fighter challenge, Almost exactly 2 years ago. Nevermind, still sitting in my Dropbox account.

Time to think about starting a new challenge. This time you don't just build an airframe, you build your engine and propeller as well.

This crate isn't exactly beautiful but it gets the job done. Low drag, nice top speed (100+ with adjusted drag) and not too heavy.

Who's interested?

Looks like I'll be needing to dramatically improve my small scale turboprop skills...

I guess since people seem to like the Kerbopolis, i shall make a proper post, tough i propably won't be putting it up for download.

It will take a few days before that will happen as im busy with school (work-training and entrance-exam).

And while im at it, might as-well give an update on some other projects.

I have done some more custom aircraft's and am planning on uploading all of them under one repository called "Kerbal Defence Initiative". Yes, the same place in witch i will be dropping all my ground forces as-well.

Pretty much all the crafts posted there will have very short and simple descriptions, and the stuff there will also be uploaded one a time every now and then to reduce load as otherwise i would have to upload about a couple dozen thing at once and write all the descriptions for them.

I have also done a couple new aircraft-carriers.

The other one is a traditional aircraft-carrier with a fully working aircraft-elevator and hangar-deck that can support my latest carrier plane replicas.

These carrier-planes are:

Vought F4U Corsair.

Grumman TBF Avenger.

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver.

The carrier also has about 700 parts and is quite a lot bigger than the K.S.S Freedom witch was good part count wise but was too small to support any real aircraft's.

The other carrier will remain as a surprise, as it is quite different compared to all the other carriers that i've made so far.

Oh, and i finally made that something special for the all new upcoming Tornado-7 and for the X-Tornado as-well. And that something special may appear on other aircraft's too.

So yea, plenty of stuff coming soon.

Made my first electric boat today. Not running with cheaty reaction wheels but a real electric motor: rover wheels driving a shaft. Juice is provided by fuel cells.

Static thrust is 96kN @ 27rad/s. Once moving it quickly drops to 24kN @ 20 rad/s, giving this first boat a top speed of around 12m/s. Not bad for a first try.

And since I'm using Rover Wheels Sounds with my own recorded sample, I'm hearing a wonderful diesel :-)

Just now, Azimech said:

Made my first electric boat today. Not running with cheaty reaction wheels but a real electric motor: rover wheels driving a shaft. Juice is provided by fuel cells.

Static thrust is 96kN @ 27rad/s. Once moving it quickly drops to 24kN @ 20 rad/s, giving this first boat a top speed of around 12m/s. Not bad for a first try.

And since I'm using Rover Wheels Sounds with my own recorded sample, I'm hearing a wonderful diesel :-)

That... works? HOW?

In all actuality, neat. Could make way for a new generation of props. I have a feeling that the current roverwheels will need to be modified to provide enough power.

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

That... works? HOW?

In all actuality, neat. Could make way for a new generation of props. I have a feeling that the current roverwheels will need to be modified to provide enough power.

It won't be stock anymore after modification :-)

Anyway, I'm already building a version with three different shaft sizes, to provide torque over a wider range of engine speeds. I'm curious to see what will happen.

But one thing is obvious, a turboshaft engine is way more powerful. Also a lot more thirsty.

Apparently the logic behind rover wheel traction is a bit strange. I parked the engine and saved the game. When I got back the engine wouldn't run faster than 9rad/s. Apparently a number of wheels had decided to change direction. Solved it but I've got the feeling more is going on here. Top speed has increased to 15m/s with the engine running 24rad/s, and I'm guessing a few wheels are still rotating in the wrong direction.

Edited by Azimech