Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

7 hours ago, Azimech said:

Apparently the logic behind rover wheel traction is a bit strange. I parked the engine and saved the game. When I got back the engine wouldn't run faster than 9rad/s. Apparently a number of wheels had decided to change direction. Solved it but I've got the feeling more is going on here. Top speed has increased to 15m/s with the engine running 24rad/s, and I'm guessing a few wheels are still rotating in the wrong direction.

I've been experiencing this and wondering if others were too

New engine (motor?). You'll notice the three different shaft sizes, fully exploiting the capabilities of these wheels (Actually, size 0 is missing, I removed it). Max engine speed is 26rad/s which is also the best operating speed. Changing propeller pitch should be done slowly and gradually or else engine speed will suddenly drop off sharply. If this happens I slide the pitch back and the speed climbs up, in steps! Very interesting to see the torque curve of these rover wheels in action. And you could see this as a rudimentary gearbox. If I can find the kOS script someone wrote for use turboheads, we could have a sort of automatic gearbox XD.

For sure, once rover wheel action groups have been repaired (motor toggle) I'm going to build such a gearbox and use Rover Wheel Sounds for some accurate gear shifting sounds! Explanation: the mod only plays a sample if a turning wheel has the motor enabled.

I'm sure some people will be interested.

Also interesting: during the tuning process some of the settings created a "physics feedback loop" which made the engine turn at a fixed speed, even when powered down. So I made a sort of kraken drive. I couldn't get power from it though.

Edited by Azimech

21 hours ago, Azimech said:

Apparently the logic behind rover wheel traction is a bit strange. I parked the engine and saved the game. When I got back the engine wouldn't run faster than 9rad/s. Apparently a number of wheels had decided to change direction. Solved it but I've got the feeling more is going on here. Top speed has increased to 15m/s with the engine running 24rad/s, and I'm guessing a few wheels are still rotating in the wrong direction.

Was there any pattern to which wheels flipped direction? Was it the ones at the back by any chance?

30 minutes ago, erasmusguy said:

Was there any pattern to which wheels flipped direction? Was it the ones at the back by any chance?

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a pattern. Seemed as random as raising and lowering the landing gear. I figured a change in CoM might be the cause but ... it wasn't.

So I had a few days off work and I decided to create a replica of Pathfinder/Sojourner because why not? This uses Majorjims hinge for the solar panels to pitch up and down. Since this is my first craft with a working hinge it's not going to be the best - I'm sure that I could somehow make the hinge smaller, more efficient, and not take up as much space. If anyone with more experience in hinges has pointers that would be much appreciated. I still have yet to create the Sojourner rover and a way for it to detach from the main craft. I also have to create a landing system for the craft to land on Duna (shame there aren't any airbags at all in stock KSP).

ZV8koCL.png

This is small enough to fit in my 2.5 meter Delta 7925, which is a plus. 

Edited by Munbro Kerman

6 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

So I had a few days off work and I decided to create a replica of Pathfinder/Sojourner because why not? This uses Majorjims hinge for the solar panels to pitch up and down. Since this is my first craft with a working hinge it's not going to be the best - I'm sure that I could somehow make the hinge smaller, more efficient, and not take up as much space. If anyone with more experience in hinges has pointers that would be much appreciated. I still have yet to create the Sojourner rover and a way for it to detach from the main craft. I also have to create a landing system for the craft to land on Duna (shame there aren't any airbags at all in stock KSP).

This is small enough to fit in my 2.5 meter Delta 7925, which is a plus. 

Fantastic, I went through a lot of dev versions of this when I was making The Dunatian before deciding to do a Kerbaled Version, I had Seperaton and landing leg powered sides with docking port connections and all, actual working panels connected after the sides came down, at the time the hinges and methods just were not reliable enough.

Haha, I found one of the funny ones, smoother and better quality http://imgur.com/VOEhLim

VOEhLim.gif

Edited by selfish_meme

22 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Fantastic, I went through a lot of dev versions of this when I was making The Dunatian before deciding to do a Kerbaled Version, I had Seperaton and landing leg powered sides with docking port connections and all, actual working panels connected after the sides came down, at the time the hinges and methods just were not reliable enough.

That's one way to separate them haha. I'm not too sure if I can make Sojourner small enough to fit inside Pathfinder's bay, would you know how or if it's even possible?

Just now, Munbro Kerman said:

That's one way to separate them haha. I'm not too sure if I can make Sojourner small enough to fit inside Pathfinder's bay, would you know how or if it's even possible?

Check out the one in The Dunatian that was about as small as I could make it, my 7925 is probably about the same size as yours so I had to fit in too

Should I do a craft catalog for my upcoming cars and aircraft replica's, etc?

I've been wanting to do something like that for a while, and I've tried and "failed" as in not many people had come along and liked the page, or appreciated the craft based on the downloads and views I was getting, but I feel like it was the way I presented them.

I was wondering what you guys prefer when seeing a list of craft, and how they are displayed? Do you guys like @Raptor9's catalog layout? etc?

3 hours ago, He_162 said:

Should I do a craft catalog for my upcoming cars and aircraft replica's, etc?

I've been wanting to do something like that for a while, and I've tried and "failed" as in not many people had come along and liked the page, or appreciated the craft based on the downloads and views I was getting, but I feel like it was the way I presented them.

I was wondering what you guys prefer when seeing a list of craft, and how they are displayed? Do you guys like @Raptor9's catalog layout? etc?

A personal thread where everything gets archived is a great way of not forgetting about your own crafts. Other than that, the likes come with time, and the good layout, with time spent editing.

Rune. I encourage it, because it's nice to go back to it for the memories.

16 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

I'm sure that I could somehow make the hinge smaller

My thermo hinge is the smallest possible in the game. You cannot make one smaller. That's the point of it. :D

Nice looking build you have there mate, I'm sure you could fit a rover in there. Did you see the one I put in my Apollo LM? That was about that size.

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Been working on a plane for that turbofighter challenge thing @Azimech proposed. Currently having problems with turbine blades exploding, and the propshaft sometimes snagging and dumping all it's momentum into the airframe.

2017-08-15%2020-45-31.png

Does this happen if you run without DMP?

1 hour ago, Rune said:

A personal thread where everything gets archived is a great way of not forgetting about your own crafts. Other than that, the likes come with time, and the good layout, with time spent editing.

Rune. I encourage it, because it's nice to go back to it for the memories.

Well ... apparently I have to work on my layout. I have more than a hundred links but I'm guessing it's easier to just go to KerbalX.

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

My thermo hinge is the smallest possible in the game. You cannot make one smaller. That's the point of it. :D

Nice looking build you have there mate, I'm sure you could fit a rover in there. Did you see the one I put in my Apollo LM? That was about that size.

Thanks, I'll take a look at your rover. Were any parts of it clipped into the lander before you released it?  Because after doing some testing I learned that if I was to clip the rover into Pathfinder, everything would go berserk and explode. 

Don't know if it's the first, it might be.

Prototype 2-speed gearbox with neutral. Can easily be expanded to more. Control is something that needs to be developed further, in the future it should be as easy as pressing 1 to 5 for selecting the right gear. It's also pretty sturdy.

Here are some pictures:

I've chosen a very simple ratio, 1:1 for first, 2:1 for second. Naturally this is something you won't find in any vehicle but it's just an example. From the wireframe images in the album you'll also notice the secondary shaft stays where it is.

Soon: stock planetary transmission. I made a few with mods in 2014. Here's a video from that era.

MSjf1s2.jpg

Been working on my turbofighter more. I've gotten the engine to be somewhat more reliable. It only snags sometimes when I pull hard maneuver... unfortunately that's exactly what a fighter should be able to do with ease.

It's fun flying around in IVA.

fcQPrUg.jpg

I also need to create a radiator or something similar to dump the heat from the turbine blades.

Interestingly, by removing the cowling, I can keep the engine cool, but it becomes much more likely to snag, or even outright throw the propshaft out. Not to mention the resulting drag would mean the top speed would take a  bighit.

In this month, I was working on some stock moving things.

And I have a lot of things to show you guys!

1:the just walking machine!

2:turboshaft running machine

3:wingiy thing that cant fly

4:just engine mock-up

5:car that have steering and differential

6:some kind of warship?

7:a realscale mock-up of japanese naval light aircraft career Ryujo(data broken so we can only see it in SPH)

8:small LST for nothing

9:and of-course! the co-axial turbofan engine powered turbofan engine!

Edited by seiryu

28 minutes ago, seiryu said:

1:the just walking machine!

2:turboshaft running machine

3:wingiy thing that cant fly

4:just engine mock-up

5:car that have steering and differential

6:some kind of warship?

7:a realscale mock-up of japanese naval light aircraft career Ryuzyo(data broken so we can only see it in SPH)

8:small LST for nothing

9:and of-course! the co-axial turbofan engine powered turbofan engine

I have three words for all this.......fascinating! incredible! and beautiful!

49 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Been working on my turbofighter more.

I've been working on a few ideas with this and my stuff ain't workin'...haha....this stuff is not easy. Hats off to those who even get this far!

Nice work @EpicSpaceTroll139!

48 minutes ago, seiryu said:

9:and of-course! the co-axial turbofan engine powered turbofan engine!

All of them are nice builds! What kind of power do you get from your coaxial turboshaft? Does it have variable prop pitch? I've been rebuilding some of mine, I'll post some pictures soon.