Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

All of them are nice builds! What kind of power do you get from your coaxial turboshaft? Does it have variable prop pitch? I've been rebuilding some of mine, I'll post some pictures soon.

This engine is made for testing, so i don't  know about thrust power. Power up/down are done by changing the power of the panther engine used for rotating the fan.

15 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

Thanks, I'll take a look at your rover. Were any parts of it clipped into the lander before you released it?  Because after doing some testing I learned that if I was to clip the rover into Pathfinder, everything would go berserk and explode. 

No nothing was clipped between the rover and lander it was just very, very tight. The limiting factor are the wheels. Try gettting creative with wheel placement. Increasing camber ect.

6 hours ago, seiryu said:

In this month, I was working on some stock moving things.

Damn man. Nice work! Is that the first working ornithopter in new aero?

Edited by Majorjim!

36 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

No nothing was clipped between the rover and lander it was just very, very tight. The limiting factor are the wheels. Try gettting creative with wheel placement. Increasing camber ect.

Damn man. Nice work! Is that the first working ornithopter in new aero?

@klond made one as well earlier

So I thought I read about this challenge to put a base with rover on Laythe, using a Space Shuttle. The idea has been percolating in my mind for a bit, as I didn't have much time to play, but I got an hour and a half in tonight and came up with this beast. First I went back to the authoritative source material on Shuttles, the movie Armageddon. Of course the trick is to get a shuttle into orbit first with enough dV to get to Laythe and back. So this had over 3000m/s dV in orbit with the rapiers activated, so with just the nukes it should be a lot more. If I can get a little base with rover and mining to refuel I should be able to get it back right? There is a four section cargo bay there.

Kazj8NB.png

4fcruPO.png

25fkPfW.png

6 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Alright, I'll keep testing different placements and angles. 

10 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Yes, even without the ship, it might actually be useful, wonder if there is any way to dock the links?

No, once decoupled it's what it is. Maybe Squad could think of a new form of docking to supplement the existing. Actually I'm thinking of one right now.

22 hours ago, seiryu said:

In this month, I was working on some stock moving things.

Boy you weren't kidding.

Ts2JOpQ.jpg

I was wondering how a secondary wing could be done, and there it is.  I would never have thought of that.  Such a unique, elegant approach.

Edited by klond

21 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Woohoo! 4600 dV in a huge orbit! Mainly fixed fuel flow, made it much more controllable, still a handful, might need to change the mammoth out for some vectors so I can disable them as the fuel runs out rather than playing with the thrust.

Nice. Have you considered just strapping the shuttle between two boosters, or a dynasoar style launch to help the whole thrust offset thing?

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Nice. Have you considered just strapping the shuttle between two boosters, or a dynasoar style launch to help the whole thrust offset thing?

I could do that, this was sort of a thought experiment if I could do it with an STS style launch stack

Taking a short break for some food. This might be my most ambitious project to date.

What you see here is a car with independent suspension. Not shown yet: springs, adjustable shock absorbers while driving (I just invented them, you'll like them), steering, twin reversible turboshaft engines driving the rear wheels using drive shafts (they work, already tested).

If heat is no consideration, I'll make the springs of the adjustable type as well so you can change the drive height while driving, I already tested that concept as well.

Optional: sway bars.

Maybe: brakes (suddenly popped up in my head how to do them).

No need to change focus: throttle, steering and braking will be done from the root of the craft.

Here's a real world example of cars using oleo-pneumatic suspension with adjustable ride height (my own car has it as well).

Edited by Azimech

On 8/17/2017 at 7:55 AM, seiryu said:

This engine is made for testing, so i don't  know about thrust power. Power up/down are done by changing the power of the panther engine used for rotating the fan.

You could switch on the aero data GUI for a readout.

On 18/08/2017 at 5:46 AM, seiryu said:

Actually、those "rope"are quite useful.

like for building elevater. or for swing.

Has anyone tried making a chain out of this? Could be useful for a bike or a fan belt?

Edited by erasmusguy

6 hours ago, erasmusguy said:

Something a bit more robust than the ones we've seen so far.

Working on it. Don't expect it to be light on the part count.

With testing I have been successful in letting 40 tons dangle from it.

Edited by Azimech

5 hours ago, erasmusguy said:

Something a bit more robust than the ones we've seen so far.

Just now, Azimech said:

Working on it. Don't expect it to be light on the part count.

It's already been done by Klond.

Edited by Majorjim!