Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I have a question slight math slight design.

I've been working on this laythe ocean base thingy and would like to know;

For Large/giant multi segment Craft is better to join it all up around kerbin

GC3Ojb1.jpg?1

or around the destination

wlhMv8T.jpg

So far it seems to be easier for travel to do it at LKO,less maneuvers etc, but the downside of putting all your eggs in one basket, slowing down around the moons is risky as some test subjects discovered, rest in peace bill and bob.

Edited by KandoKris

@KandoKris If you're building a Laythe ocean base and don't have any major preferences on where it should end up in the water, I'd definitely suggest assembling it in Kerbin orbit. That way you can simply aerobrake it directly into a descent once you reach Laythe and there's no need to expend any fuel circularizing in Laythe orbit.

Another reason I'd recommend assembling it in Kerbin orbit in any case is fuel margin and mass efficiency. Suppose you want to give yourself a margin for error of 500m/s (for example). For a single spacecraft that means enough fuel for 500m/s extra delta-v, but for sending several spacecraft this can get less and less efficient because you not only have to account for the fuel margin on the payload, you also have to consider the extra fuel tanks and engines which might not necessarily be needed if you were sending a single vehicle.

So, after seeing @goduranus's well-crafted Epstein Drive demonstrator craft on the forums last night, I decided to attempt at making Solomon Epstein's space yacht from The Expanse (more specifically, the novella Drive and its portrayal via flashback in Season 2 of the show).

a4n0ujN.png

FoYruh3.png

The show's portrayal, for reference:

l08afLD.jpg

Going to hopefully have it up later today or tomorrow when I can do some final tests- but so far, it works like a dream.*

*G-force-induced paralysis and death not covered under warranty. Ask your doctor before solo testing any advanced propulsion systems in a retrofitted ship.

Ever since I uploaded the very first turboshaft helicopter there was a nagging feeling it wasn't a real turboshaft but merely a direct-drive turbine. I tried to correct it but failed. Back then I didn't know what I know now.

Since building turboprops and helicopters has become pretty popular nowadays I feel it's time for a new challenge.

I present to you the very first seconds of flight of a geared turboshaft. Until fluid dynamics arrive, the closest to reality we can get.

W931qTt.png

Development goes quick, I've started building 75 minutes ago. It needed 4 passes of bearing reinforcement and it's starting to look good.

There is some slip which starts to occur above 12 rad/s. Some adjustment of the bearings & gears are needed but I'm not sure how yet. Gear ratio is 1:1. I'll probably switch to 3:2 once the gear problems are solved.

To be continued!

FhdQtka.jpg

Testing out another clearly-Soyuz-inspired spacecraft. It'll probably have five variants. This is the smallest variant, designed for 2-kerbal missions to/from space stations. There'll be 2 similar ones to this, but with the capsule replaced by either a 3-kerbal capsule or a fairing for storing cargo. I'll also have a variant of each crewed version with extended propulsion modules that include some cargo space and replace the solar panels with fuel cells, for Mun and Minmus missions. It's not tested yet and the launch vehicle's not quite done, hence why I'm posting it in this thread.

Update on the laythe pad;

It's now much simpler and yet more complex  ..

7eJSt0X.jpg

Launch is easy all 3 main segments go together already linked by 3 docking ports making connection strong. Turning during launch under 20km will however cause the deck to.. to catch the breeze.

I'm going big by making an aft section turning it into a real runway and adding much needed living space/spare cargo.

Still unsure weather to link aft and stern pre or post deorbit. For now the plan is to fill up in LKO

0USotlL.jpg

After that test Dv, set sail around KSC again testing out buoyancy & linage between sections, refining the 30tn payload to maintain balance on decent and building the control tower.

Hopefully by the end I'll have a real Laythe stock Aircraft carrier again. 

1 minute ago, klond said:

Leg power!  I doubt it will lift off, but I'll let you know.

Not long ago I discovered another way of driving an engine: using unpowered rover wheels. The right amount of wheels with the right spring force acting on a fuel tank with a mesh collider would cause a physics feedback loop, but only above and below certain RPM's. During my testing the ideal speed was 26rad/s. This is fine for helicopters but way too slow for a plane. I could make a new test setup though, but tomorrow. It's 23:50 over here.

More upates on Pathfinder and Sojourner: So I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I rebuilt Pathfinder to the correct shape (which is now a hexagon instead of a triangle-like shape before) and was able to squeeze Sojourner in Pathfinder with minimal clipping. The bad news is time-warping to Duna will summon the Kraken. I will explain further in the post.

Spoiler

wyeFwsI.png

Testing Pathfinder solar array deployment and Sojourner deployment.

m3gfneC.png

You have to deploy each panel individually; decouple all three couplers holding the arrays, and use the reaction wheel to bring the solar panel down. 

rfrcqTn.png

All three arrays deployed - all thanks to Majorjim's hinges. 

O4QOBcz.png

Sojourner decouples without a hitch and is ready to explore.

0zDoCcV.png

This part is not very important, but looks better in my opinion. All three reaction wheels are able to be decoupled, and you can destroy them however you like (bonus!).

Going back to summoning the Kraken, I would timewarp to Duna and prepare to enter the atmosphere when I would notice a cubic strut peeking out of the fairing. After zooming in I saw that the whole camera was offset and floating around the spacecraft. Upon entering the atmosphere the Kraken appears and explodes the probe to pieces.

DIPVGJ9.png

I'm probably going to build the camera out of antennas because the cubic struts are buggy. 

I'll post if another problem occurs or when I am finished (which is hopefully soon). 

12 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

I'm probably going to build the camera out of antennas because the cubic struts are buggy. 

Or you could use infinite offset struts.

BTW, nice model!

Time for a little update since it's been more than a few days when i said i was supposed to upload some stuff a few days from that.

Just being busy with school again, but everything important should be all done and dusted, and i should finally have some more free time again.

So, expect to see some stuff soon :wink:.

As far as new stuff goes, i haven't had much time to play KSP in a while.

But, just now i created something i'm extremely proud of :D. It is a replica of the Macchi MC.91 with a personal touch.

I put it together and tested it in as little as 2-3 hours.

The MC.91 was a proposal for a new medium-bomber for the Italian air-force.

Spoiler

equodUo.jpg

Mine one is called the KMB-910 and looks like this:

S3MbKPu.png

NOTE: The torpedo shaped external fuel-tank should not be used to sink ships.

n1FOKBr.png

It will be uploaded along with 3 other Italian bombers.