Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Something of interest to all the technical people - the round 8 has a notch in the collider. Like, one part of it doesn't exist. Maybe useful for cams and stuff?

Therefore, at the moment trying to set up a stock combo lock.

zjD5r3L.png

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Something of interest to all the technical people - the round 8 has a notch in the collider. Like, one part of it doesn't exist. Maybe useful for cams and stuff?

I don't know what I could do with it, but it's interesting, might make a good latch

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

zjD5r3L.png

Cool stuff! I was building a keylock a while ago. Too many projects, not enough time.

I've never looked at the collider of that tank before. Shame on me.

23 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Progress:

2017-09-06%2012-03-41.png

We had put chains on Castille7's Diving Vessel for the crane and anchor.  Worked pretty well!  I don't have a closeup pic, but its RCS balls inside thermometers on a cubic strut, repeated for each link.  Awesome project - keep us posted.

lukRiZu.png

8 hours ago, klond said:

We had put chains on Castille7's Diving Vessel for the crane and anchor.  Worked pretty well!  I don't have a closeup pic, but its RCS balls inside thermometers on a cubic strut, repeated for each link.  Awesome project - keep us posted.

Here's a close up of the Anchor
naORy2o.png

I've added a rack & pinion weight drive mechanism for testing purposes, though I'll try switching to a version using that chain later.

2017-09-07%2015-54-47.png

Currently, even with the pendulum + anchor escapement disengaged from the rest of the gear train, the whole thing grinds to a halt a few seconds after being set going. I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. It's probably messed up tooth spacing on a few of these gears generating resistance, but with the complexity it's hard to tell.

2017-09-07%2015-55-01.png

If only kerbpaint was working I could color code all the gears and bearings so I would know at a glance what's attached to what.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

16 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I've added a rack & pinion wright drive mechanism for testing purposes, though I'll try switching to a version using that chain later.

Currently, even with the pendulum + anchor escapement disengaged from the rest of the gear train, the whole thing grinds to a halt a few seconds after being set going. I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. It's probably messed up tooth spacing on a few of these gears generating resistance, but with the complexity it's hard to tell.

If only kerbpaint was working I could color code all the gears and bearings so I would know at a glance what's attached to what.

Try DCK Camo

Edited by selfish_meme

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Who was it that made a fully working mechanical clock about a year ago? It looked quite similar to this one.

This is the vid I remember:

Made by the genious @Aphobius! Here's his youtube channel: Bogdan Pirsen, where you can find several other clocks and contraptions!

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Found him on the forums :)

I've taken a break from turboshaft stuff for a while.

My new engine: stock two-stroke V4 with double overhead camshaft, working clutch and two speed gearbox. A lot can be improved like valve timing and the gearbox. It doesn't like high RPM at the moment, currently it breaks above 11 rad/s. But ... it does deliver torque.

Why not a V8? Part count. What you see here is ~560 parts.

I hope to give it a big rear wheel and see if it will go.

In the animation below you'll see the new clutch mechanism working. When the vehicle is ready, there won't be need to switch focus, all controls can be done from "root".

Edited by Azimech

TxlI6ry.jpg

Just a Sputnik.

Spoiler

vDS7JEN.jpg

EsTYRip.jpg

...and a transporter vehicle for it. It still needs a lot of greebling done, as well as making sure I have enough power to run it (currently it's powered by 6 RTGs hidden inside the payload fairing), but the structure is finished and the wheels don't get destroyed on loading, which I consider a plus. The rocket itself mostly works too - at least the functional version does, the one on the transporter has had a lot of pieces removed to save parts, which is especially important since I'm running a lot of mods as usual.

What you see here is the basic setup for a 7 cylinder two-stroke stock radial, with a planetary gearbox to increase propeller speed (unlike real life, they slow them down). The V4 used complete pistons with a bearing for the piston rod, this one will have fixed pistons to the rods to reduce part count, mass and improve reliability, piston guidance in the cylinders will be again provided by the RCS balls.

toaimWq.png

It's obvious stock piston engines can't reach the speeds of turboshaft engines but they do deliver torque. Who knows. It will never be enough power to lift an airplane, it's just all way too heavy. But maybe it might propel a boat.

In the above picture you can see a fairing base, offset from center. This is the cam. In the picture below you see a basic setup for moving the valves. Lots of stuff needs to be installed like followers, follower guides etc. I might use loose balls to run over the cam. The system will be desmodromic: no springs but balls on the other side will follow the cam to regulate the motion.

qztpWGn.png

The valves themselves won't have any problem opening and closing since they work like a butterfly valve. All the stress will be transferred to the bearings.
In the last picture you see more detail of the planetary gearbox. The ring is fixed, the sun gear provides the input power, the carrier with planetary gears the output (only the top one is seen in the picture). I'm aiming at an eventual 1:1.5 ratio. This is my first attempt. The principle is sound, let's see how it will work in reality.

g41LgmJ.png

kyioybQ.png

Don't think this has been done before so I've posted it here. Might be useful.

A quick turboprop inspired by the krakentech engine the streamer Million_lights was working on. Im on holiday so I'm not going to work on this one for a while.

https://kerbalx.com/erasmusguy/a-quick-kraken-powered-turbo-prop for the craft file to show the idea. The landing gear is slightly compressed by the structural wall and this spins the shaft. 

Edited by erasmusguy

Little I-16 and an F-89. Both can fly decently and the part count isn't too bad.

UA4pU4a.png

K1TmJBs.png

Also trying to emulate a Von Braun flavored space program. Here's a simple ferry rocket I tossed together. It has decent aerodynamics, enough to fly to the KSC after overshooting by ~20 km

6weYNz6.png

weUOySS.png

On 9/7/2017 at 3:14 AM, qzgy said:

zjD5r3L.png

I've taken a look at the collider, it was an error with entering the numbers. It's there but semi-blended with the next.

1 hour ago, erasmusguy said:

kyioybQ.png

Don't think this has been done before so I've posted it here. Might be useful.

A quick turboprop inspired by the krakentech engine the streamer Million_lights was working on. Im on holiday so I'm not going to work on this one for a while.

https://kerbalx.com/erasmusguy/a-quick-kraken-powered-turbo-prop for the craft file to show the idea. The landing gear is slightly compressed by the structural wall and this spins the shaft. 

Yes, this type of power source is well know, and the fact they like to spin at a specific speed. Very useful as a replacement for the rotating scanner because it won't break stuff. We might be able to tune that specific speed using the brakes and the braking power. If so, we could use it as a timing device for clocks and other stuff.

Did some testing on my clock. It turns out that it wasn't spinning simply because the gear ratios were reducing the torque produced by the weight drive to nill by the point it reached the minute hand and escapement. With a reaction wheel attached to the escapement end of the gear train, and trimmed just a weee bit, the whole thing spins perfectly fine. 

So I need to add more weight. The question is: Can I give it enough weight while not breaking the thing?

On 9/8/2017 at 10:04 PM, Azimech said:

I've taken a break from turboshaft stuff for a while.

My new engine: stock two-stroke V4 with double overhead camshaft, working clutch and two speed gearbox. A lot can be improved like valve timing and the gearbox. It doesn't like high RPM at the moment, currently it breaks above 11 rad/s. But ... it does deliver torque.

Why not a V8? Part count. What you see here is ~560 parts.

I hope to give it a big rear wheel and see if it will go.

In the animation below you'll see the new clutch mechanism working. When the vehicle is ready, there won't be need to switch focus, all controls can be done from "root".

make it a V6 and put a 1.6 liter tank and make it a hybrid and you have a Racing Engine

My first stock "diesel" catamaran. Runs at 75% power max or it will throw a rod. Engine speed is also limited, I can't get it reliably above 12.5rad/s or it will also throw a rod.

The blues in the picture: just some GFX bug I find amusing.

vXr30l4.png

ELEcqvW.png

And for anyone who doesn't know what "throw a rod" means:

Edited by Azimech

2 minutes ago, Azimech said:

My first stock "diesel" catamaran. Runs at 75% power max or it will throw a rod. Engine speed is also limited, I can't get it reliably above 12.5rad/s or it will also throw a rod.

The blues in the picture: just some GFX bug I find amusing.

What's not cool about throwing a rod on a KSP engine??? :cool: