Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

11 hours ago, Skylon said:

Welcome to the forums! I suggest moving the thruster out and up, and hiding the top with another part. The link above shows someone who made one in stock, though it was a long time ago. Not sure how to do the heat shields, but I look forward to seeing to the finished version!

Thanks!

I have fixed the thruster problem and i think i have a solution to the heatsink, i just figured out that you can make the heatsink have a icon for jettisoning it!

I should have the file on KerbalX by friday :)

Laythe Aircraft Carrier update

We have liftoff

NY3MVgF.jpg

Its starting to look like I will pull this off

Spoiler

I finally made orbit again :)

w0E5SOz.jpg

I ended up sending 4 of them up before I had at least enough left over to make the burn to Jool without the re-fuel, with it I should have more than I need to get down to laythe.

Since I had several 1/2 sections I started a bit of heat testing, turned out better then expected but it was just from LKO I'm sure slowing down from 5k+m/s at laythe will be far more taxing.

Next step will be docking all 3 bits together and landing as one. I might send 1 for a flyby of Mun for a high speed entry test if all goes well to really test the limits.

Gpjlg9J.jpg

Also Jebs lands it like a Boss

0yacUpa.jpg

Edited by KandoKris

Curious to see if I can pull this off. Stock aircraft with real control surfaces. Never mind the controls are reversed at the moment, I'm already happy it doesn't fall apart on the spot!

The reason? KSP control surfaces have magical properties: they don't use a resource and don't suffer from compressibility effects or even control reversal, something all WW2 pilots had to deal with at high speeds.

ZjvR7w6.png

Ic8tiTa.png

jdXot4K.png

That's a lot of linkages to build and adjust ... and lots of possible points of failure.

Edit: it's done.

Edited by Azimech

On 9/18/2017 at 9:07 AM, KandoKris said:

Sub testing ;

Why doesn't the grappling claw attach itself to the surface? :huh: :confused:

TqMImBZ.jpg

and is there a thread that lists parts by buoyancy ?

I was hoping this would have worked for an underwater sea base Deepcore I built a while back and I had to result to the Ore tanks.

As you can see from the picks below, the SSD Executor is nearing completion. The only thing that is really missing is the armaments.

Ill probably also add some more lights to the super-structure to make it more realistic. I also need to remove the lights from the side of the hull as they don't light up the bit i wanted them to.

There is a bit of an annoying issue with this ship, and that is lighting. It looks fine when it's fully behind Kerbin and out of sunlight as you can see on the pick below

rpkI8c3.png

But, when there's sunlight...things don't exactly look right.

XnruBo7.png

TjL5iQr.png

Some parts light up fine, but others are still in the dark as if there would be something between the ship and the sun casting shadows on it.

Anybody got any ideas what may be causing this as it honestly looks awful :(.

ygxAJLM.png

Other than that lighting issue, im very pleased with the results so far :D.

It's current size is around 600m x 200m. The size ended up being a bit of an issue during the build as even with full zoom-out and camera movement, I couldn't get the entire ship into view. I had to move the entire ship back and forth multiple times during the build by grabbing a tiny root part hidden inside the ships guts.

Oh, and before you ask, i did need cheats to keep it together. I honestly tried my hardest to make it stay together, but i believe that the size and sheer mass of the thing is too much for the teeny tiny struts to handle, making it virtually impossible to make it stay together without using cheats.

Lockheed Martin has been promoting a Mars mission that includes an orbiting Martain space station as well as a lander that looks like it is right out of 60s SciFi.

These kind of proposals always inspire me to tinker with KSP, and I've managed to get a reasonable facsimile working nicely.  It's totally overbuilt for what KSP requires for a Duna lander, but I was trying to copy form rather than adhering to KSPs needs.  The result is that the lander has way more DeltaV and thrust than is really needed for Duna, but hey, i suppose it is capable of lots of other missions around the Kerbol system.

RbwU88K.png

It's delivered on a stubby booster with a faring to match the back of the lander, and uses much of the  lander's fuel to reach orbit.

QlDXqZg.png

Lockheed's  proposal includes refueling at the Orbiting station for multiple missions to and from the martian surface, so I figured they would refuel the lander in LEO before ferrying it to mars.  This helps keep the booster short , keeping the Center of Lift behind the center of mass; a problem when topping rockets with "wingy" vehicles.

bYz3Zb2.png

Anyway, maybe I'll make an entire mission pack, the hard part is essentially done.

Edited by Exothermos

12 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Some parts light up fine, but others are still in the dark as if there would be something between the ship and the sun casting shadows on it.

Anybody got any ideas what may be causing this as it honestly looks awful :(.

It's because of tweakscale..

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

It's because of tweakscale..

Hmm, so far it seems that the P-wings are the only ones having this issue, so i don't know why tweakscale would be the issue. But, i guess it might be scale in general, i also suspect thickness of the wings might also be a cause, as some of them are super thin compared to their size.

Building a turbine car now. While this is nothing special nowadays, the steering is probably new. There's no need to change focus.

Top speed is a meager 5.0 m/s, regardless of power input or wheel/ground contact. The turbine runs fine (up to 50 rad/s) but something goes wrong in the power transmission (gears). Might be some kind of bug, max rotational speed is 7 rad/s. It happens both with antennae and RCS balls, while the car itself is powerful enough to drive up a 15 deg. slope, using a 1:1 transmission.

I've seen the same problem when building my tiny piston engine, won't run faster than 7 rad/s for love or money.

obXQNAi.png

bgR0zRJ.png

D0BlSJE.png

The steering in action:

k883UNn.png

ZyY1YhY.png

Massive update from a weekend with too many hours spent on the PC and little sleep;

I have now landed x2   1400+ part aircraft carriers on Kerbin. One at the equator and another near the south pole.

Spoiler

Decent is slow and yet nail biting

7IVbiiX.jpg

FSQkOD7.jpgThat was number 1  and number 2

tVhbG8J.jpgAYB1iQ3.jpg

And I don't even remember that part but it looks stable

Funny story with the landings thou, first one I didn’t use all the chutes ( had it in 3 stages not 2  due to an extra stage in the rear section which has been fixed)  anyway I landed hard, very hard, like 16m/s hard the result was less then perfect

RvYlMvf.jpg

2nd time was at 3-4am and I fell asleep during the final leg of decent all chutes open and thrusters at ¼ power. In my defence the frame rate was about 1 per 4-5 seconds at that point and the first decent took approx 30 min but felt like so much more to make the 5 min trip. I don’t know how but it managed to land almost A OK, minus some fins and unimportant bits. This is what I awoke to;

UhJr77s.jpg

ok to be 100% honest those unimportant bits were the middle docking ports which is what i guess caused the whole thing to split, But once the port was deleted it did fit back together again fine.

Oh and the main forward jets were either gone or disconnected limiting it to a snail's pace of 4m/s  but the deck made it intact other than that its good as new :)  sort of.ln5cMi4.jpg

Each received its name after a safe :/:) landing.

KAC 1 - Balls Deep & KAC-2 - Buster, buster has the intact decking.

Frame rate is abysmal once the 2 halves are joined (1 frame per every 2 seconds isn't uncommon ) it's almost unplayable on my machine... Almost…

Only tests left are for the trip to laythe and workout how many dips to make it into a nice orbit and how low/fast those dips can be before things blow up also how much spare fuel there is to account for flight error’s.

Spoiler

Current status all juiced up and awaiting my exit window and more time to play.

F5eF22N.jpgcL7rmCC.jpg

Spoiler

Secondary craft included; 4 VTOL jets, 2 Submarine’s, 2 Aqua jets, 2 rovers and a friggin SSTO VTOL.

hdhq0d4.jpgB4tI6Wm.jpgQncWiB9.jpg?2U9cwBwe.jpg?2

Edited by KandoKris
Detail

I've decided to build a B-36 Peacemaker as a challenge for myself, and surprisingly it flies (albeit, very badly) using only the power of electricity!

mq3Cy7z.jpg

VcB0tqB.jpg

It's pretty slow at climbing, and requires a trim to even get it to climb. I think I need to work on making it easier to fly, since I'm a terrible pilot haha. Also, it almost made my computer fry at 695 parts! :o (That's probably nothing for some of you people)

I plan to add jets to it, like some variants of the real thing, but at the moment, I'm just moving the wing around, and trying out different motors to try and get better performance out of the pure propeller version.

If anyone is interested, I might put out a download

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Stock car, just painted.

So, hod you get KerbPaint to work in 1.3. Or was the paint-job done using something new that i'm not aware of yet.

I would love to know since i would really like to paint at-least one of the UCS aircraft's that i'm going to do at some point.

So, hod you get KerbPaint to work in 1.3. Or was the paint-job done using something new that i'm not aware of yet.

I would love to know since i would really like to paint at-least one of the UCS aircraft's that i'm going to do at some point.

It's this mod: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/159310-13x-dck-v026-transparent-aircraft-armor-stealth-coating-part-camo-and-other-goodies-for-ksp-stock-bdac-bdmk22-sm_afvs-m2x-quiztech09202017/

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Teaser. Does anyone recognize what this will become?

snip

Descent was an awesome game.

Rune. And I'm showing my age with that comment.

Edited by Rune

Early version & stock parts, only use paint. Attitude Indicator needs some work, it rotates the wrong pitch. Mechanics for airspeed and altimeter not implemented yet, just testing the rotation of the needles. Altimeter and VSI are going to be problematic since we don't have a vacuum we can utilize. I'm going to try a trick with different rocket engines, one meant for space and another one for sea level. The difference in ISP could provide me with what I need. Heading indicator is going to be relatively easy. Turn indicator will probably need a real gyro, the slip indicator is easy.

I don't think I'll be building a VOR or NDB.

No, it's not meant for space. Just makes testing some stuff easier.

zM7i746.png

Edited by Azimech

Just now, Azimech said:

Early version & stock parts, only use paint. Attitude Indicator needs some work, it rotates the wrong pitch. Mechanics for airspeed and altimeter not implemented yet, just testing the rotation of the needles. Altimeter and VSI are going to be problematic since we don't have a vacuum we can utilize. I'm going to try a trick with different rocket engines, one meant for space and another one for sea level. The difference in ISP could provide me with what I need. Heading indicator is going to be relatively easy. Turn indicator will probably need a real gyro, the slip indicator is easy.

I don't think I'll be building a VOR or NDB.

zM7i746.png

Wow. When this is finished it will be incredible.

Working on updating a BAE P.125 replica I made a while back up the current aero model; it's been proving slightly tricky since the wing shaping makes it tend to be a bit yaw-happy.

3p7gotl.jpg

This fighter never quite made it into existence thanks to the U.K. signing on to purchase the F-35 back in the JSF program's early days, but nonetheless this is a neat concept aircraft.

UJciXlC.png
kAvfCou.png

The inside of the service bay is a Kerbal-scaled cockpit reminiscent of what the concept showcased.

Installed the basic hardware for the speedometer. It works in this setup. There will be a lot of tuning.

How it works:

The jet engine close to the fascia acts like a spring, it blows against the elevon. When airspeed increases, drag on the elevon will push it backwards, driving the gear.

yVWDtci.png

TN52Qeq.png

E5Vkrx6.png