Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

decided to continue work on the small howitzer, and here it is.

I will try to work on the shell a little bit more as a range of just 2.4km isn't much to talk about, it's also very slow for an artillery shell.

One fun little feature of the gun is, that everytime i switch back to the gun, the empty shell automatically pops out of the barrel on its own, as you can see on the second firing where i was actually able to switch back to the gun.

'SciShipOne' is the name of my vessel in 250k Kerbin orbit. Featuring a command area, a science bay, a lander, and engines, it is designed to roam the system and collect science. Due to it's size, I had to dock the modules together

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c7YMTJs7hEck9yFh1 - the front is in orbit, and waiting for the other pieces. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1gbUQzD24HXis7wS2 - the science module is delivered by the rocket

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hQ2w5kSbu1xv9S1L2 - docking

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5EDrk5QgnOLUD5n1 - docked, awaiting the lander

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LVMHyocxAbyRvThH3 - the lander fitting into the cargo bay. 

And that's it for now. Due to the engines of the lander, they were getting in the way of the docking ports. This means I couldn't dock the lander to the hangar, and had to send up another hangar, with the docking port now closer. It's still under assembly, going to attach the engines tonight.

This is one of the most satisfying screenies I've ever taken.

qsF86A1.png

For the not-so-eagle-eyed among you, those two docking ports dialogues prove that the final ring section did a clean double-dock and that ring is structurally stable. And how did I manage that? Well, thanks to Snapdock (with a 0.005º tolerance) and NavyFish's Docking Alignment Indicator, I did the whole thing in half an hour at first try, every dock. The result is that my shiniest Von Braun station will go for ~200k√ on the pad, on a normal-ish-looking rocket, yet still only cost ~25,000√ in fuel and SRBs to get up there, because I can use a normal-size reusable booster. And the completed thing is still a mere 70 parts on orbit, without that Klaw Pod, which is also nice. The amount of building tricks to guarantee a good fit, then package the whole thing as tight as it'd go, was very much not a trivial thing! (i.e: the thing is built without symmetry of any kind, yet the Sr. Docking ports are aligned with the CoM, which isn't the geometrical center).

Tp9otdtl.png94sghLgl.png

Rune. It's still a lot of hassle when I have a monolithic one that works just fine, but hey, I enjoyed the challenge a lot.

Edited by Rune

I know a lot of people are working on BFR replicas ATM, but I've built one that is slightly different.. 

https://imgur.com/a/0BMEx

This doesn't attempt to replicate every intricate detail. Instead, it's a more practical version one would use in a late-career game for science mining. Other variants include a 20-seat version for tourist ops, an empty cargo version, and of course the tanker drone. The system is almost 100% done, but I'm perfecting the launch patterns, and will be uploading on KerbalX in the coming week or so.

On 11/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

I’m really impressed at how accurately you have recreated the shape. Are you going to outfit it with stock weapons?

P.S. You spelt the craft name wrong. :D

Ahh Thanks , Dred? not Dread.................the episode I watched had the thing as an autonomous missile looking for a base to destroy, not sure how to replicate that in KSP , maybe load it with tons of fuel  :P

Finally made myself a stock cargo SSTO.

DofZm6y.png

xnTrc00.png

y5fNim3.png

Since I didn't calculate anything, I don't know how much delta-v it has. But in LKO liquid fuel is at ~50%, with 12700 units, oxidizer has 3180 units left.

Other specs:

Mass after reaching LKO: 179t.
Mass tanks empty: 99.1t.
Mass tanks full: 269.1t.
Part count: 266.

Let's see if I can land this bird on Duna.

Edited by Azimech

Bob couldn't pass his exo-driving test. They gave him a modified bumper car from an amusement ride instead.

g9ZcOP8.png

This might be the most crash resistant rover ever! It's driving in the background, to check if it hasn't rolled over or has drifted from its course. It does well over 30m/s on flat terrain but it's able to smash into the ground or objects at speeds over 40m/s without damage!

UIYKRZ1.png

rUPUZzS.png

And it all started with this:

86Z7NrU.png

Short gif:

Edited by Azimech

On 14.11.2017 at 5:56 PM, Azimech said:

y5fNim3.png

Since I didn't calculate anything, I don't know how much delta-v it has. But in LKO liquid fuel is at ~50%, with 12700 units, oxidizer has 3180 units left.

Other specs:

Mass after reaching LKO: 179t.
Mass tanks empty: 99.1t.
Mass tanks full: 269.1t.
Part count: 266.

Let's see if I can land this bird on Duna.

Neat bird! How much does it carry into LKO?

I ran the numbers for the heck of it based on your stats.

ΔvNerv = Isp(Nerv) * g0 * ln(mfull/mempty)

= 800 s * 9.81 m/s2 * ln(269.1*103 kg / 99.1*103 kg) = 7839 m/s

ΔvRapier = Isp(Rapier) * g0 * ln(mfull/mempty)

= 305 s * 9.81 m/s2 * ln(269.1*103 kg / 99.1*103 kg) = 2988 m/s

ΔvLKO = Isp(Nerv) * g0 * ln[(mempty+mlf+mox)/(mempty+mox)]

= 800 s * 9.81 m/s2 * ln[(99.1*103 kg + 12700*5 kg + 3180*5 kg)/( 99.1*103 kg + 3180*5 kg)] = 3450 m/s

Edited by SchweinAero
formatting

2 hours ago, SchweinAero said:

Neat bird! How much does it carry into LKO?

I ran the numbers for the heck of it based on your stats.

ΔvNerv = Isp(Nerv) * g0 * ln(mfull/mempty)

= 800 s * 9.81 m/s2 * ln(269.1*103 kg / 99.1*103 kg) = 7839 m/s

ΔvRapier = Isp(Rapier) * g0 * ln(mfull/mempty)

= 305 s * 9.81 m/s2 * ln(269.1*103 kg / 99.1*103 kg) = 2988 m/s

ΔvLKO = Isp(Nerv) * g0 * ln[(mempty+mlf+mox)/(mempty+mox)]

= 800 s * 9.81 m/s2 * ln[(99.1*103 kg + 12700*5 kg + 3180*5 kg)/( 99.1*103 kg + 3180*5 kg)] = 3450 m/s

I believe reading Klingon is easier ... my hat is off to you sir, thank you very much!

(Actually I am capable of doing maths ... just had the wrong teachers, made me puke on it as a teenager).

Edited by Azimech

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I believe reading Klingon is easier ... my hat is off to you sir, thank you very much!

(Actutally I am capable of doing maths ... just had the wrong teachers, made me puke on it as a teenager).

It's not too late to go back and teach it to yourself in a way that you understand it better with a proper modern math book. And by modern, I mean any math book that explains things in the most detailed way possible as to show you WHY it's necessary to learn, etc.

2 hours ago, He_162 said:

It's not too late to go back and teach it to yourself in a way that you understand it better with a proper modern math book. And by modern, I mean any math book that explains things in the most detailed way possible as to show you WHY it's necessary to learn, etc.

It's all too much for me these days, I enjoy learning Kerbalneering now ....hey it could be a word :D

Edited by Castille7

I'm getting good at this. That, right there, was intended. :cool:

DjCWkrj.png

Proof of frantic last-minute terminal guidance:

3RbU0hym.png

Rune. Ballistic flights are easy, once you get the hang of flying backwards... and Trajectories. That too. :blush:

Edited by Rune

1 hour ago, PaperAviator said:

I'm trying to make a valkyrie, but I'm having some scaling problems...

0w9iBCY.jpgLooks decent right?

aojpZuk.jpgNot big enough... only room for 4 engines...

It turns out most valkyries on Kerbalx are significantly larger.

I really don't want to scrap it, what should I do?

Never scrap it, rename it Rev1 then start re configuring it so when you go beyond acceptable you revert back to original, I actually like yours but yea...  a little smallish.

I was shooting for 40mT on orbit, and just tried a crazy MTOW test with all the intention of reverting it when it didn't work. I guess 55mT works, too. Look at the mission timer.

KlOb00Q.png

Rune. The Vector and derivatives sure are OP.

Edited by Rune