Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

It's been a long time since Space Laboratories actually did anything in space these days. Recently I was reminded of an old Station I enjoyed back in 2015, it was having serious structural problems and got put on the back burners. I started working on it again with some new ideas and I've got the craft working very well. I plan to release this one soon.

At first I named the craft Eve Station MK9 because the core of the station was using 9 MK1 lander cans. Now it's named Eve Sat 1.

XGZDsFa.png

I left the Fuel Tanks, Nose Cone and Reaction Wheels for now.

Q33hGwI.png

Spoiler

JRE4xku.png

K6z6GtB.png

Photo from it's first Orbit in 2015

lpxCMHR.png

Edited by Castille7

Time for an end of the year update.

The new KDI post is up, witch means that i can finally start emptying the majority of my backlog of crafts.

First of witch will be the upgraded KBM-300 that i promised a long time ago. It took a little extra work to get it done as one of the newer updates crippled it, causing the launch box to brake apart every-time i tried to lift it up.

Luckily, all it needed was a few struts. I also threw in a couple extra upgrades in there aswell.

So here's a couple shots from the first successful test launch in a long time.

Spoiler

2qTWcQY.png

The second test launch was a complete success.

Now, lets see what happens when i crash the missile on the runway

7plBWTB.png

Just a little hop and a nice landing with minimal damage. It truly is solid as a rock this time

EDIT: Hmm...looks like it's time to upgrade the old trailer hitching system as-well.

uhDEYVA.png

EDIT: Looks like the new hitching system doesn't work that well either.

mMTQr5H.png

Other stuff that will be coming this month includes:

UCS HE 111 (as promised)

Two new Tornado crafts

and two new carriers with a new 3 new carrier planes and 3 new replica carrier planes.

And of-course some stuff to the KDI post.

Edited by kapteenipirk

5 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

A little experimentation, I have progressed to a walker, but it is not very stable yet

It looks good so far! Better than my attempts with multibearing machines.

In these days, I made full stock canon. That has capability of launching bullet in 745km/s.

It doesn't using decoupler or engines. So, I think it's new technologies.

By the way, my friend also made canon with this technologies.

He said he was able to fire bullet in 9 times faster than lightspead. :) 

51BmrGs.png

p7EPOtN.png

Edited by seiryu

Just a little something Im working on - explorer / crew transfer ship, 12 passengers, 2 science lab personnel and 3 in the command cockpit make for a total crew of 17, and equipped with 3 small relay sats for a local probe / comms network around whatever body it can reach. Almost 5800Dv in Kerbin Orbit and a TWR of 0.51

Still needs some tweaking but Im pretty happy with it. so far.

97FE06725FF8E773231BCA94582AEDF80926B0EA

EVE SAT 1
Update: 12/09/2017

Eve Sat 1 is as Satellite I returned to Eve's Orbit from a previous build in 2015. I thought it would be neat to send a craft I build named SpaceTech to the Satellite and maybe attempt to shuttle to Eve and back with the help of a few fuel supply missions. It's taken two trips of fuel supply to get into orbit with Eve Sat 1, I will now need additional fuel to dock and also a refueling station on eve to return to the Satellite. Not sure if SpaceTech will be able to land on Eve I'll find this out with testing, I don't do the math I usually just dive in head first, sort the troubles out with hindsight and it's all fun to me.

Eve Sat 1 in Eve's Orbit

Q33hGwI.png

Spoiler

This is the same Launcher used for SpaceTech heading out with a small fuel pod

AThEuls.png

4RlrHHf.png

This is the second rendezvous with the fuel pod in Eve's Orbit 

zTpcYQM.png

9DKAptP.png

In Orbit with Eve Sat 1 waiting on more Fuel

kHbZB7c.png

Edited by Castille7

I built a F-104a ... Or did I?

bL0kwXo.png

This was a speedbuild challenge I gave myself: built, tested, and finished in 3 hours, 1:1 scale.

xrjCgCO.png

I may tweak a few more things, particularly the wings and nose for more photorealism, but it's pretty much done.

Edited by Servo

4 hours ago, Servo said:

I built a F-104a ... Or did I?

This was a speedbuild challenge I gave myself: built, tested, and finished in 3 hours, 1:1 scale.

I may tweak a few more things, particularly the wings and nose for more photorealism, but it's pretty much done.

Beautiful! I think I like it more than some of my cars.

I am (maybe) back from the abyss, after not playing this game for so long, for so many different reasons. I don't know if I can really count this post as a WIP craft since I don't know if I want to publish these craft or not, I really just made them in order to try and shake off this KSP burnout I've had for the last eight months or so, but all the same, I do want to try and get back into enjoying KSP to the same degree I used to, and that involves posting on the forums again, so here I am, and here this is...

3jHQU18.png

This is the core module of my new space station, named Marius, in orbit around the Mun. I've decided that the best thing to keep me interested is to do things that I've never done in the game before, and as embarrassing as it may be to admit, I've never actually made a Mun-orbiting space station or surface base. So hopefully I can get this station built up to a respectable level, and then begin construction of a base on the surface.

6DHOEhQ.png

My naming scheme for this new generation of craft is based on Roman historical figures, Marius being the general who first introduced the concept of a Roman professional army as opposed to the citizen-soldier based armies of before. This image shows Scipio, named after Scipio Africanus, who defeated Hannibal in the Second Punic War at the Battle of Zama. It follows Soyuz's layout, with an orbital module at the front for extra living space and from which to conduct spacewalks, however, I think I've managed to keep it away from the general Russian aesthetic, which I don't really like quite so much as modern American and European designs (fight me, Korolev).

xeQkaZQ.png

I'm not using any mods other than Kerbal Engineer, Editor Extensions, and a few visual enhancement mods, but I used a storage bay (that's what they're called, yeah?) for the service module with the idea that I can leave empty space inside to install special equipment for certain missions or KIS storage boxes, should I ever decide to use the required mods.

7c7pYaO.jpg

Here's the first mission to the station underway at last. Hopefully, the extra time I've had lately will continue to be forthcoming, and I'll have a chance in the next few days to install some more modules to the station which will allow it to support regular missions to the surface.

Sorry for the long post. It feels good to be back, I just hope it will last.

12 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Good to see you (maybe) back mate! I saw your name and thought, ooh, I haven't seen them in a while. You make awesome craft man so we are always happy to see what you have. :)

I'll make one more quick post here regarding my efforts to get back in, and then any future posts about this station I'll make in Mission Reports, since it seems more appropriate there than here.

ZCTag4f.png

The second module contains extra radiators and solar cells (modeled after the Scipio type), as well as four docking ports and a small set of ore tanks so I don't have to wait to send a dedicated storage module over before I can begin making ground bases.

p85eVqG.jpg

The delivery vehicle is just a modified Scipio service module, with the rendezvous radar (or what is intended to represent it) moved to the back and a protective collar in place of the connector to the descent module. Once it delivered the Forward Node to Marius it was sent back to Kerbin as a final test of the Scipio's ability to do so, as well as to see just how much reentry would tear it up, so I know if it's practical to send unneeded equipment (namely cargo tankers) back to Kerbin for disposal or simply wreck them on the far side of the Mun.

Tf6hdG5.png

The station's current state, with the new Node module docked on the left and Scipio 2 docked at the rear. Node 1 is intended to be a berth for a future docking module to house another Scipio or its upcoming cargo variant, and another module for an as-yet-undetermined purpose. The core module's unused ports will in the future house a truss section for a main solar array, as well as an airlock module and an observation/communications module, probably with a cupola. That's my plan, anyway.

This makes my second manual rendezvous with the station, I believe I'm beginning to get the hang of it again.

Work time on these projects is scarce with school, but I am working on a couple new cars:
-Finishing the DeLorean. Better late than never, and soon, we won't have to worry about being late.
-2020 Tesla Roadster. Ludicrous? No. This thing's gone plaid.
Y6XP1YF.jpg

L9EmqES.jpg

EVE SAT 1
Update: 12/18/2017

After three rendezvous fueling up SpaceTech in Eve's Orbit I was able to dock with Eve Sat 1. After doing so I released the empty fuel pods. These fuel pods will need some work for better handling, docking was not too smooth. Next I will reduce Eve Sat 1's Orbit for a better view and communication setup.

uRe8WDG.png

Spoiler

HHDdlup.png

0bfApkE.png

IoQYdY5.png

An 18-kerbal orbital shuttle, for when you've got places to be and want to get there in style. Still lacks RCS because I haven't been able to come up with a good layout for the thrusters. I also don't really like the big rectangular slot in the middle, I'll have to do something about that. I think I'll try making the tail(s) shorter so they form a flat-bottomed V shape with the thing in front of the gap.

(Yes, it has a rear wing. No, it doesn't do anything. But everyone knows rear wing = instant +50 horsepower!)

ar4B3Vf.png

Edited by CaptainKorhonen