Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I've been playing with trying to recreate Boeing's proposed Hypersonic demonstrator.

EyeOCJ9.png

It's kind of a odd looking thing, like the world's fastest zeppelin. Mach 5 is the number they propose to reach, thats 3800 mph or so 1600+ m/s!

LyqvCY9.jpg

In KSP we cant really get there on air breathing engines, but 1400 m/s is doable.

pnE4eUU.png

It's not a lot of fun to fly right now as the shape isn't exactly stable in KSP.  I'll keep tweaking...

On 1/19/2018 at 2:35 AM, Exothermos said:

I've been playing with trying to recreate Boeing's proposed Hypersonic demonstrator.

It's kind of a odd looking thing, like the world's fastest zeppelin. Mach 5 is the number they propose to reach, thats 3800 mph or so 1600+ m/s!

In KSP we cant really get there on air breathing engines, but 1400 m/s is doable.

It's not a lot of fun to fly right now as the shape isn't exactly stable in KSP.  I'll keep tweaking...

1800 m/s is easily achievable even at low altitudes.
Reduce drag
1.png?width=1202&height=677
2.png

It's sustainable at higher altitudes though.

Edited by He_162

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

1800 m/s is easily achievable even at low altitudes.
Reduce drag

With all of this aerodynamic surfaces, which produces drag too - it looks close to impossible. Unfortunately, wings generates drag (and lift) even under the fairing.

4 hours ago, Ajiko said:

With all of this aerodynamic surfaces, which produces drag too - it looks close to impossible. Unfortunately, wings generates drag (and lift) even under the fairing.

If you use parts that have very low drag to form the body and air hog with rapiers you can come close, 1700 m/s from what I remember, I haven't been on KSP in a while.

DeepCore Seven

Can't ever have too much WIP now can we?
The name comes from the Deep Sea Drilling Rig in the Abyss Movie (I added the Seven :D). A replica of that one would be nice. This is my second Deep Sea Base I tinker with. The first one was a learning curve, and this one ................ is a learning curve :D  Learning on how KSP stuff works underwater.

My first most recent base gave me buoyancy hurdles, I think its just as hard learning to sink something as it is getting things to float! The base had too many wings and things that were too buoyant and no matter how much Ore weight I was adding the base would continue to float :/. Now that I have that figured out and hada look at the Base on the Sea Floor I think I will dock the submarines by either rolling up to the base or sitting on the top coupling. Floating to a docking port looks like it would just decouple from the weight of the Sub if it does not have a near perfect buoyancy.

The long term goal here would be to have some of these set up as fueling stations to make longer underwater trips.

Testing at 510m
An6CcGH.png

Spoiler

Heading out on a very slow journey and releasing the gear. Not in the plan to float it out but found it's much quicker than rolling it out.

8Khm62I.png

zbHcek8.png

5B4WWpp.png

EjFZoyp.png

My first Sub was too buoyant but making about 25 m/s. The 3 docking ports were part of a very complicated docking idea where the Sub would dock between two underwater docking bays located at the center of the Base on the Sea Floor, I thought this would look really cool when docking. Maybe a future project can incorporate this idea. 

fm9oVlq.png

Although DeepCore Seven will sink on it's own the engines help to speed the process.

OWZ8QYY.png

The game plan here was to release the engines with the couplings on top leaving more docking space.......smoothly.

sT17mv7.png

I found the Communication Tower was not stable after releasing the engines and struts that were attached to the Tower.

NszTrtT.png

Useless Cameras but hey I like sophisticated looking stuff and it looks like a security system for the Base/Drilling Rig

WSyhXRa.png

o2hSqAa.png

bWzQIvw.png

2n83FGX.png

The new Sub design has two Vector Engines, if two Vectors don't have enough weight to sink something what does? :D

zcYP6LM.png

Edited by Castille7

This project has been equal parts fun and ferociously tricky. For something so completely aerodynamically implausible, I'm getting close to actually making it work.

Here's a Twerkshop's prototype sneak preview of Kylo Ren's Upsilon-class Command Shuttle:

MdFQfJl.png

First step was creating something reasonably visually accurate, using this ortho from unusualsuspex as a reference.

w4ayYWa.png

Next step was to get it airborne.

0Z0nd9a.png

Then add VTOL capacity. 

HB1SNeY.png

Current stage: Actually making it enjoyable to fly. As you can see, the aerodynamics are a lot like Kylo's feelings about his family: complicated and highly volatile.

Piloting is neither easy nor predictable. The radically dihedral wings make the craft resistant to roll, and it sways back and forth like a pirate ship in stormy seas. When applied gently, a little yaw input can result in smooth turns. But apply a little too much, or at the wrong time, and the ship spirals out of control.

UYSgkq3.png

Constantly adjusting CoM and CoL. An earlier prototype, Version D, actually flew quite nicely, but that was pre-VTOL. Adding 6 Panther turbofans raised CoM and increased the vessel mass significantly. I'm on version H now, hoping I can get back to that flight performance before I run out of letters in the alphabet.

May at least most of the Force vectors be with you,

-SkunkTwerks

Haven't got any work done on the swashplate, but thought you guys might still be interested even though it is not 100% working and needs a working tail rotor to function. RCS tears it apart, and reaction wheels is cheating ;-)

It is a mess. Done in 1.3.0 where you cannot move the other end of the struts. I am not sure if it is any more stable with these instead of RCS balls, but the benefit of struts is that they are symmetric and not have their center of rotation (and maybe CoG) all wonky. Easier to move around and place accurately.

KerbalX link to craft

sEalCrr.png9gr20fI.png

Edited by OffsetIsMyName
Imgur album pointed to a pic of a girl, odd

I finally had enough free-time to go back to Kerbal Space Program, and decided to revamp one of my favorite aircraft. More specifically, the MiG 21. I also decided to go ahead and build the MiG 15. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on any improvements feel free to do so. 

Y7EMr3H.png

k4ZUfPP.png

Added more detail to certain areas of the plane, such as the front intake and the tail. 

0ymXmfk.png

6S8e49u.png

MiG 15, I'm pretty happy with its outcome, though certain areas I need to improve. 

On 12/30/2017 at 3:33 PM, He_162 said:

the following are gone and must be started again, some from scratch.

Aw, man!  I feel ya too.  I lost a few things before xmas when my profile went kaput.  Castille7 is right, when you start rebuilding you'll be faster.

On 12/10/2017 at 5:42 AM, Yukon0009 said:

UeDu7fE.png

I am interested in the state of this project.  Keep us posted.

Took awhile to catch up on this thread, I was a little behind.  I don't have much to contribute other than a bump.

I would like to start a rocker-bogie suspension Mars-type rover.  Ya know, actually produce something that leaves the runway :) .  Even better if it could steer, or even redock itself to survive time warp.

IMAGE-04-Rocker-Bogie-Suspension-Concept

The very first experiment I tried was decoupling a wheel right into a grabber, then set free the grabber's pivot.  Wouldn't ya know KSP locks the grabber in this scenario.  I will press on.

GCfnPsD.jpg

8 hours ago, klond said:

Aw, man!  I feel ya too.  I lost a few things before xmas when my profile went kaput.  Castille7 is right, when you start rebuilding you'll be faster.

I am interested in the state of this project.  Keep us posted.

Took awhile to catch up on this thread, I was a little behind.  I don't have much to contribute other than a bump.

I would like to start a rocker-bogie suspension Mars-type rover.  Ya know, actually produce something that leaves the runway :) .  Even better if it could steer, or even redock itself to survive time warp.

The very first experiment I tried was decoupling a wheel right into a grabber, then set free the grabber's pivot.  Wouldn't ya know KSP locks the grabber in this scenario.  I will press on.

I've tried that grabber for really well working pivots for heli blades or a for a part of a swashplate, but the tricky part is getting KSP reliably lock the other part in the same place each time. Depending on gravity / orienation / whatever, it seems it is not very consistent. That plus the pain of manually adjusting everything via trial & error - checking how it is in game, then back to junk yard to fiddle with other parts. Works really well though when you get it right, just too much pain for me =)

Not sure if this should go in this thread since it's almost complete, but it's still partly a work-in-progress:

UlXJx72.jpg

inDczjp.jpg

A94D3c2.jpg

My new Mk1 station modules. Predominantly using Nertea's new station parts pack, along with a few other parts mods and a little bit of Tweakscale. Currently they all function as intended and launch vehicles work perfectly, so it's mostly just a matter of finalizing.

DeepCore Seven
Update: 02.07.2018

I've made some changes to the Submersible Rig so that my Submarine (No name yet, maybe AquaBat because it looks like some type of Batman Vehicle)  can now dock by rolling up to the Rig on the Ocean Floor. I've sent the first one on location at about 10km from the KSC on a course heading towards the Islands. I've decided to let that be the final destination of exploring with a Submarine. Any further would be insane for underwater adventuring.

Here's some of my recent adventures with this project.

The First Rig Setup

This was not a level Seafloor area and the Rig was standing suspended just above the floor. Docking was difficult and it looked to wired floating so I added more Ore Tanks to bring it to its resting place now at 895m. The second Rig had some crazy happenings, see the story below in the hidden content.

IBBVG8b.png

Spoiler

I am calling this DeepCore-FS1 (Fuel Sation 1)

It's functioning fairly well, full warp is doable for refueling.

9f34FIP.png

DeepCore-FS2

In this story here, seeing may still not be believing. The second Rig needed more Fuel and Ore for it to sink. The game plan was to send the redesigned submarine to begin topping off the Ore. As you can see here fuel was very low and chances were slim that I would be docking on this trip.....and!

jMtWuT4.png

Here you can see just how close I was to docking. Rather than using the same sub which is slow on the water I grabbed a previous sub which was faster. I was thinking if I just bump the rig a little the sub would dock. After adjusting the Ore (using it as blast) on both the Rig and the Sub I then bumped the Rig..........Bam! it worked!!

Kk0Ggsi.png

As you can see here I was able to dock.....so much luck on my side here.

oSAtUDC.png

After all these hours spent I was using warp to transfer the Ore during one of these trips and the Rig began to come apart at the Fuel Tanks and Ore Tanks. As I was consulting with my partner @klond he suggested that I float the Rig to location for better speed. This is now the second Rig on it's second trip to location and the plan is working, speed is much better, I was getting about 13.6m/s

ievdeGE.png

Edited by Castille7

Making a project based around the events of the Falklands War and started working on the HMS Invincible in 1:1 scale, fully stock too.
As of today it is mostly an undetailed hull but it is H U M O N G O U S enough that i thought i might share it here. 180m long, 40m wide.

EDIT: Superstructure roughly finished. Just the detailing now.

SKSbqKH.png

Spoiler

8cfok4s.png

The initial structure of the hull. Building the carrier using a supporting structure makes it suprisingly rigid, it can survive direct hits from 15-20t plane crashes unscathed.

5SnZO92.png

The skeleton gets covered up.

xdMgc8T.png

The unfinished flight deck. It is supported by generous strutting under the deck which makes it completely rigid and resilient to hard landings.

XY5tnpG.png

Here we have a 14m long Etendard making a pass over the carrier. You can see how small the shadow of the plane is in comparsion to the structure.

iukDJY7.png

KSC for scale.

Edited by EvenFlow

8 hours ago, EvenFlow said:

Making a project based around the events of the Falklands War and started working on the HMS Invincible in 1:1 scale, fully stock too.
As of today it is mostly an undetailed hull but it is H U M O N G O U S enough that i thought i might share it here. 180m long, 40m wide.

Hide contents

The initial structure of the hull. Building the carrier using a supporting structure makes it suprisingly rigid, it can survive direct hits from 15-20t plane crashes unscathed.

The skeleton gets covered up.

The unfinished flight deck. It is supported by generous strutting under the deck which makes it completely rigid and resilient to hard landings.

Here we have a 14m long Etendard making a pass over the carrier. You can see how small the shadow of the plane is in comparsion to the structure.

Why not just use MK3 tanks as the decking, you will reduce part count five fold

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

Sorry, looked to me like it was covered in wings

Absolutely understandable, the screenshots don't really do it's scale justice! Will make some scale comparsion screenshots after I'm finished with the superstructure for sure.

I think I broke something.

After hitting about 1800 parts my game crashed as it sometimes does, but after firing up the game the craft refuses to load it up correctly so i'd be able to edit it. The load menu doesn't come down by itself and the place/move/rotate/change root menu is missing.

Please help. ;-;

Spoiler

l5364oZ.png

KPP5TnJ.png

I suddenly had an urge to do something airliner related, so i laid down the framework of what is supposedly an Airbus A350-900 replica.

Px6SYtB.jpg

Aside from the engines, elevators, structural elements and everything else required to actually make it fly, there's still a lot of things I have to fix and correct. For instance, the winglets look somewhat odd in shape (God, those will be the end of me...) and the wing itself seems far too long. Of course, it might just be the FOV perspective of the hangar, but still.

Hey Guys, theres a lot of incredible crafts in this thread, very cool!

I have a problem with an "mini-stock-VTOL-hinge" and i hope you can maybe help me (and thats the correct place for this). The big problem isn´t the hinge itself, rather the Docking Ports, they only dock one times (at first)! I was searching for a long time to fix the problem, but my ideas at the end. I don´t know, why it´s not working... :(

Here is the craft, if you want: https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.de/index.php?attachment/13252-tilt-rotor-mcfly-craft/

0PsFoO1.pngM6k9HWd.png