Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

11 hours ago, klond said:

>Update on the Mars Curiosity-type-suspension rover. 

Damn man. :confused: That's one complex looking set up. And yeah if anyone can figure it out it's you. All I can say at this stage is any aeroshell/rocket that houses that is going to be HUGE. :o:D Amazing work so far though man, truly.

Edited by Majorjim!

Stock fun (Heavy TEL's that use no rockets for erection).  

The Kerbal Strategic Rocket forces were furious that they couldn't reach the decadent halls of imperialism, but now they have the means! :P

(Yeah, HS-12 TEL. I'll get around to the "logging trucks" later on.)

6u7jpZl.jpg

SSY1zZ8.png

npGXiPd.jpg

KVr0PlM.jpg

Unfortunately, no RD-250 / RD-251 equivalents in KSP. I know it's a closed cycle engine I'm using, but I throttled it to about half the max thrust and consider the heavy payload fairing airframe a sufficient "handicap" to match the HS-14. XD

F9WynsN.png

Work continues on the Su-35. Flying model in the works now, significantly more maneuverable than my F-15 ACTIVE, thanks to a TWR over 2 under afterburners and a CoM right on top of the CoL. Now all that remains is to strut it up well so this doesn't happen again and add a custom cockpit.

W5YSeK0.png

On 2/15/2018 at 7:58 AM, Majorjim! said:

any aeroshell/rocket that houses that is going to be HUGE

Yeah. :(  Feature bloat is making it worse too.  On the plus side it think it's gonna be pretty lightweight for it's size.  The funny part will be watching me try to get off Kerbin.

Conversion to leg power is going well.  In this picture we're looking from the front at the front left wheel.  Wheels got bigger.

Spoiler

8obWhYe.jpg

If we push the wheel out it spins forward, centered for neutral like in the picture, and tucked-in for reverse.  Steering will have to be differential-style.

Had lots of time Saturday to work on it.  We're at version 4.3 and all 6 wheels are installed.  Working on making sure left and right side are identical and researching random leg explosions.  Wheel size isn't final.  Still have no idea on suspension final position and a ton of other little problems like lighting, antennas, power when off-world.

Very excited that I can actually put it on the ground for initial drive testing.  The struts are all horizontal right now so it kinda looks like a crawler or like a scorpion with no tail.

More in a couple days hopefully.

4MNXjtK.png

A dropship I made for Imagining a Kerbal Future. If I recall correctly, this ship can carry around 60 kerbals and over 200,000 kilograms of equipment down to the surface of Moho from orbit with the aid of two massive nuclear thermal rockets. The interior of the ship (covered up by the exterior B9 parts that encapsulate it) is consisted of a keel with cargo pods directly attached to each side, and crew compartments in between with thick armor plating. In the middle third of the keel are the fuel tanks, propulsion, and power. Once landed, the ship is capable of traveling at nearly 30 m/s with the use of giant tracks. 

I haven't tested the capability of the ship to land under fire, but I'd imagine the ship would be landing once much of the defensive mounts were destroyed.

If I ever release a working version, I'll make sure to make the sides of the ship actually openable to let the equipment out.

LVdqqnb.png

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Concorde-7

Just a few more tweaks and a video to complete this craft. The speeds are near 350 m/s with 4 Panthers in afterburner mode. Can't touch the actual Concorde speeds but handling is really nice even at full speed. With afterburners and full throttle the craft lifts off the runway very quickly. Part count is at 110 right now and I don't see where it will be increased any. The intakes and engines are also a little bigger than the real craft but they look so smooth and I decided to keep them.

uC8PXiE.png

Spoiler

f7y2G0D.png

HB76uaj.png

yoK1QHL.png

4Uf69Od.png

Edited by Castille7

7 hours ago, PaperAviator said:

UJlkHfc.gif

Needs lower friction gears, more blowers

Looks great, good luck with the gearing! Just wondering here thinking the shape of the gears, would the thrusters be shaped more like real teeth if turned 90deg, sideways, thruster port facing up/down? I went through the parts and looked at which would most closely resemble actual gear teeth, but I think I didn't take try those at least not sideways.

25 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Was your speed about the same or higher than 350 m/s?

It could only reach Mach 1

https://kerbalx.com/SelfishMeme/Concorde-2b

I also had an idea for the current reddit challenge, Sea to sea SSTO, about using fairing pontoons, which worked great, as pontoons. But they were drag monsters. A few experiments later I ended up with this

hlIwezS.png

As you can see, almost 3000ms dV from a sea take off, I possibly could land this on Laythe, the fairings protect the flimsy fuselage during sea landings quite well. Also good heat shields.

Edited by selfish_meme

12 hours ago, PaperAviator said:

UJlkHfc.gif

Needs lower friction gears, more blowers

Nice, using the teeth as turbine blades and gears. Try RCS balls, they have a lower friction because they use a sphere collider instead of a mesh collider. Also, they need more space.

On 2/21/2018 at 6:33 AM, selfish_meme said:

It could only reach Mach 1

https://kerbalx.com/SelfishMeme/Concorde-2b

I also had an idea for the current reddit challenge, Sea to sea SSTO, about using fairing pontoons, which worked great, as pontoons. But they were drag monsters. A few experiments later I ended up with this

As you can see, almost 3000ms dV from a sea take off, I possibly could land this on Laythe, the fairings protect the flimsy fuselage during sea landings quite well. Also good heat shields.

Wow a Sea to sea SSTO? That sounds like a really tough challenge. I've used the structural fuselage many times for pontoons and they've worked really well. They are small and could work nicely for an application like that possibly...just a idea to maybe consider. Here's a craft I used them on.

Edited by Castille7

10 hours ago, OffsetIsMyName said:

Looks great, good luck with the gearing! Just wondering here thinking the shape of the gears, would the thrusters be shaped more like real teeth if turned 90deg, sideways, thruster port facing up/down? I went through the parts and looked at which would most closely resemble actual gear teeth, but I think I didn't take try those at least not sideways.

I thought they might slip if they weren't tilted like that, but i'll give it a go :)

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

Nice, using the teeth as turbine blades and gears. Try RCS balls, they have a lower friction because they use a sphere collider instead of a mesh collider. Also, they need more space.

Good idea, going to try :)

2 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Wow a Sea to sea SSTO? That sounds like a really tough challenge. I've used the structural fuselage many times for pontoons and they've worked really well. They are small and could work nicely for an application like that possibly...just a idea to maybe consider. Here's a craft I used them on.

Nice plane! I tried different types of pontoons, but mk1 parts only survive 10ms impact speeds, meaning you need a really slow landing speed on water, efficient SSTO's tend to have higher landing speeds, mk2 parts have 40ms, I could do mk2 as other have done in the challenge, but they all tend to go to Minmus to refuel, with this I can go Laythe direct. I am adding more fuel, rcs, solar, batteries etc, we will see how heavy I can get it and still take off and land. At the moment it is 10' + on ascent and easily leaves and lands, I would like to stretch the margins a bit more and even get another passenger if possible.

15 minutes ago, PaperAviator said:

I thought they might slip if they weren't tilted like that, but i'll give it a go :)

Good idea, going to try :)

I wonder if you could use RCS balls as, bearing, teeth and blades, super efficient!

Nearly finished but still fighting with the wheel arches, they're very difficult to get right at this scale. #WeNeedMoreSmallParts

A long time ago @DarkOwl57 asked me if we could do a joint project. He provided the bare chassis, I built the rest and did the tuning.

A modern Italian GT, powered by 5 Juno's.
It has Boost Flaps, variable downforce, brake lights, reversing lights, a full blue leather interior, wheels with 2 deg. camber and anti-roll aerodynamics. With downforce at low it's capable of some drifting. All stock.

xveIdPr.png

Mbinihq.png

AyLTqTL.png

Yx7oh1K.png

JIeT45L.png

Just a little teaser for a thing I'm working on right now. Nothing all that special really, but it's basically aiming to become a semi-realistic Duna mission. The transfer vehicle has a rotating artificial gravity centrifuge and the nuclear engines actually have a pretty neat reactor recreation in the back among some other neat details.

phEEAr2.png