Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

This is the Ranger, it is based and named after the ranger from interstellar. It is designed for landing on Duna and ascending from the surface. The craft is way more powerful than it needs to be however it has a crew capacity of 8 kerbals plus cargo up to 20 tons in its cargo bay. Despite not being practical it does look cool. (Much bigger than ranger from the movie however much more real world similar to the space shuttle).

xW4nWNR.jpg9N9RRLA.jpg

Edited by Buzzald

Rebuild my Energia replica: reduced part count of the main tank, replaced cubic struts with engine plates.

Also as replaced mainsail/ rhino clusters on main stack and boosters with 36 F1 engines.

bd591gug.png

eK6zC9ng.png

Korolev cross:

VMjPZZsg.png

Edited by vitekc45c

Ok so a while back in the "What did you do today in KSP?" thread I mentioned I was finally getting back to work on my 5/6 scale Saturn V + Apollo replica. I've pretty much finished the S-II stage.

Xd42qeo.jpg

It does look a little bland without a proper paint job, but we don't have that in stock currently, so it is what it is. On the bright side it came comfortably below my partcount cap for this thing of 200.

So I figured I should start work on the S-IC stage.

W5CHiOi.jpg

My favorite thing is how the S-IC stage alone just completely dwarfs my standard Apollo-style Mun rocket. It gives you an idea of just how much more delta-v you need to get places in the real world.

I'm pretty close to finishing my Stock-Vanilla Apollo 11 rocket. I still need to finish replacing some of the decouplers with the new replacements. It's sitting at 765 parts (245 is the LEM).

It has most of the main features of the actual Saturn V:

• Gimbal-locked center engines on first and second stage
  • Properly placed ullage and retro motors for staging
  • Physical interstage fairing between S-IC and S-II that is staged
  • LES with boost cover - also staged after first interstage fairing using staging motors instead of the LES rocket itself
  • Ejectable nose fairing on C/SM, revealing parachutes packed 'inside'
  • Fuel Cells in C/SM and LEM
  • APS clusters on the S-IVB stage, to act as ullage on the second (and third) burns
  • Antennas on the LEM ascent module
  • Umbilical connection from Service Module to Command Module

I do still need to remember to add plume shields on the LEM.

Preview below, WIP album here: https://imgur.com/a/DAagq

v39jyYV.png

Edited by MaianTrey

I was wondering if there were ways to make my widebody airliners to scale by clipping Mk3 fuselages, and started building a B777-300ER around this idea. The result was something pretty magnificent.. but useless.

TgIfnDb.jpg

Any attempt at putting on landing gear would cause it to get destroyed upon spawning, and sometimes it would stand on the runway normally when spawned and others it would rapidly blow up. Probably varies based on the mood of the kerbal replica gods.

I figure it could probably be fixed with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement or something, but for now i'm leaving that for something else. I'm considering taking Kronus_Aerospace's idea of making the fuselage a fairing which might work, but that's for another day.

I then built up a small, somewhat out-of-proportion Hawker Hurricane Mk. I. I tried fitting (clipping, really) a few Airplane Plus propellers into it but they were too small to look aesthetically in-line. Well, more of the replica was too big and slightly out of scale.

ryDzENF.png

H1FeSr2.jpg

cqzsriM.jpg

My A350's fan blades were slightly improved on;

W0SSMXh.png

And I remade an Airbus A320-200 replica. Pretty timid project, I know, but it was enjoyable to build.

mDxfl8k.jpg

5u8FWqO.jpg

He9UFRn.jpg 

(sorry for the image flood..)

DasValdez (KSP Streamer on Twitch) had that issue (explosion on load-in) with a massive SSTO he built crashing on load in. He got around it by activating the debug menu (Alt+F12) in the SPH and checking 'visualize autostruts'. Then after his SSTO had safely loaded in, he unchecked it and flew the rest of the mission normally without issue. That or using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (which has a side-effect of easing the physics load-in slower than normal KSP) would probably help.

Ok.. so I decided to take another look at my leg powered crafts (mainly the Messier 1) with the new update in hopes that the wheel changes would allow me to make a similar design with airplane wheels (which wouldnt blow up). Unfortunately it seems that even my past work is broken. From what I can tell the landing legs now have a full hitbox throughout the suspension. This means that the idea of having something occlude the suspension, and then the leg pushing it out, which is what was used before, is broken. Now all of my designs are either blowing up or pushing the landing leg out of position so that  it is pushing nothing (like it would if the landing leg was a simple solid part). This means that the entire, although edge case design of a leg powered propeller will no longer work.

I know you had one or two designs using this method @klond, have they broken with 1.4?

On 4/14/2018 at 5:05 PM, EvenFlow said:

Making a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNGtGI-XbM

Dunn dunn dudu dudududu dum dun.

Looks awesome! As another note, you've finally given me the motivation to release my Gen 3 Tomcat. Should be coming in the next few days.

tt2m7f2.png

Only minor cosmetic changes are happening at this stage, though I'm also working on a weapons loadout.

11 hours ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Ok.. so I decided to take another look at my leg powered crafts (mainly the Messier 1) with the new update in hopes that the wheel changes would allow me to make a similar design with airplane wheels (which wouldnt blow up). Unfortunately it seems that even my past work is broken. From what I can tell the landing legs now have a full hitbox throughout the suspension. This means that the idea of having something occlude the suspension, and then the leg pushing it out, which is what was used before, is broken. Now all of my designs are either blowing up or pushing the landing leg out of position so that  it is pushing nothing (like it would if the landing leg was a simple solid part). This means that the entire, although edge case design of a leg powered propeller will no longer work.

I know you had one or two designs using this method @klond, have they broken with 1.4?

Legs are 100% confirmed as broken in this version. The next patch will fix this apparently.

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

Legs are 100% confirmed as broken in this version. The next patch will fix this apparently.

Ok, good to know, but weird considering they seemed to act fine in normal leg usage (for me).

Glad to know I wasn't just going down a rabbit hole with a bug that has since got patched, but instead its a bug which broke my designs. 

23 hours ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Now all of my designs are either blowing up or pushing the landing leg out of position so that  it is pushing nothing

Confirmed.  All my leg powered stuff is broken.  Was fun while it lasted.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Edit: Didn't see @Majorjim!'s post.  They way you put sounds like -they fixed it, but they're gonna re-break it for us.  :) 

Edited by klond

1 hour ago, klond said:

Confirmed.  All my leg powered stuff is broken.  Was fun while it lasted.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Edit: Didn't see @Majorjim!'s post.  They way you put sounds like -they fixed it, but they're gonna re-break it for us.  :) 

Yup. Depends on how they fix it though, from what I saw the legs were bugged out from just exploding too easily, so hopefully they just revert the changes which 1.4.2 made, rather than changing something else (which might not fix our problem)

I can't stop updating my Tomcat... After seeing @EvenFlow's masterpiece of a model, I took another few passes at visual accuracy.

38xqoW6.png

Changed: Wing glove, tail fuselage section, slight alteration to cockpits. Engine nacelles were rounded, and cleaned.

D2i0m2m.png 

Naturally, this ruined the wing sweep mechanism completely. So I've got a bit more work cut out for me. Good news, I cut the part count down to 329 from 343, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

So this thing:

aermTBP.png

Is supposed to be landed on a boat apparently.

So I took out my boats. Beginning with this one.

r3kb8ux.png

Grisha-class corvette. 70m long and just a tad not flat enough. We need a longer boi for the task.

8poniYr.png

Yeah, that's promising...

AcLPWe1.png

But again, too short and not flat enough. Kanin-class destroyer, 120m long. a tiny flight deck for helicopters on the back but i don't really think an F-14 could qualify as a helicopter in any scenario.

We need to bring out a bigger boi.

About this much bigger:

VAn8oEx.png

Forrestal-class supercarrier in the making, mere 320m long, 40m wide at waterline and up to 86m on the flight deck.

Will try to make it not-too-much more part-heavy than my HMS Invincible carrier.

Coming soon to international waters near you.

Edited by EvenFlow