Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 4/21/2018 at 2:12 AM, EvenFlow said:

AcLPWe1.png

Looking good i have to say, with some few BD armory guns they would fit right in to the KNS inventory.

That reminds me, time for some news about the KNS project (meant to do this some time ago). Remember when i told you about the Grand Naval Expansion...well...due to current news in the DB-armory front, that may never come ;.;.

I was working on releasing those ships, but due to a computer restart mid process, all progress was lost, and then the DLC and it's many patches came.

Apparently every craft that has BD-armory parts will be broken when the new version installed as it has many major code changes.

And yes, sadly this means that if it really does brake every craft, that means my navy will be wiped out in an instant...all of it.

It really depressed me for an entire day :(, but fear not, as i feel like this is the opportunity ive been waiting for.

I can now do a proper restart on the project and do a whole new post that will be cleaner, better organized, and won't have a bunch of broken non working stuff in it.

Some new stuff that i planning on releasing (with all new ships and planes of-cource) is:

Tutorial missions using the mission builder. They should allow people to get a better idea on how to use those ships.

Ready to use hulls (engines included). Ever since i started the project, i have stripped all my "new" ships (ones that have a new hull design) and saved their hulls as a separate craft. Being able to just pick a hull and place stuff on it has saved a LOT of hours of work.

Sub-assemblies. With all the hulls, i have also made a bunch of custom naval-guns, range-finders, aircraft catapult...etc. Unfortunately all my naval guns may have to be scrapped due to what i explained above.

I went to the library to find some books to use for getting ideas on what to build. I already have a pretty good list on what to build, and i have decided to build stuff (minus the aircraft carriers witch really need to get done ASAP) in a more realistic order.

I will start with a couple pre-dreadnought designs, from them it's to WWI, Mid-war, WWII...etc. This doesn't mean that i wont build ships from earlier eras later, but for the current list, it's going to follow that order.

In the light of these news, i believe it would be a good idea to show you what the ships from the expansion look like.

So, enjoy the many picks @klond, and everyone else of-course.

Im really glad i took these picks when i did, as the most recent version of BD-armory that i have doesn't have any radar bit's on it, so i can't access any of my ships at this time (every single one of my ships has a part with radar functionality in one way or another,).

Spoiler

K.S.S Freedom II. A larger replacement for the broken K.S.S Freedom with fewer parts.

XcmVOgx.png

MuHWAvQ.png

jG4UB3G.png

FuwCgug.png

I used Tweakscale on this one to bring the part-count down. It's inspired by WWII and pre WWII USN carriers.

I was supposed to release 3 USN carrier plane replicas with this one:

A Corsair fighter, a Helldiver divebomber and an Avenger torpedobomber.

K.S.S Valkyrie. A new type of carrier built to be used with VTOL fighters.

FU1MnxK.png

b0aBSaT.png

I7UTrf4.png

K.S.S Midway. Basically a Kerbalized U.S.S Midway (after modernization's).

BtwqiFN.png

hn2eQ0b.png

umV2oVM.png

5isQ34a.png

lElG8Ar.png

There was really no way of creating an elevator like that with only 2 gantry-rails...well...unless you want it to bend like 30 degrees on it's own.

This carrier uses Tweakscale quite a bit to bring the part-count down as much as possible. It has a part-count of 500-600 witch i have to say is quite good for a carrier of this size.

Im planning on tweakscaling the hull as-well on the next carrier to bring the amount of parts even lower than that (don't worry, you'll be getting a more traditional non tweakscale one as-well).

The F-18 inspired and Prowler inspired planes where to be released with this carrier. I had plans to build a third one, but didn't really know what aircraft to make.

K.S.S Fissouri. A replacement for the broken K.S.S Great-White. Also heavily based on the U.S.S Missouri (modernized).

mxdlQzr.png

5btGyzO.png

6t9YZvh.png

K.S.S Fuko. heavily based on the IJN Fuso.

eDT38nx.png

V8a3Gyb.png

5FTnzcI.png

Part-count on this one and the Fissouri is at around 600-700, so about the same as in the K.S.S GreatWhite. But the plus is they are bigger and have better detail.

K.S.S PepsiKola (famous nickname for the Pensacola in the WOWs community). Basically a replica of the U.S.S Pensacola.

KPkQJxM.png

vmELk0T.png

RAvFyXN.png

The design on this one is quite simple, but with a part-count of only 300, id say it's looks pretty good (The K.S.S Krucible, witch was the first KNS ship i released, had over 700 parts).

This was my attempt to decrease the part-count as much as possible without sacrificing too much detail.

K.S.S NewKerleans. Basically a replica of the U.S.S NewOrleans. This one is created in the same way as the PepsiKola. due to this the part-count is just as minimal.

RTneCUw.png

XedoXAO.png

i4iHRHR.png

I built this one purely for the sake of variety

K.S.S...i can't remember. This little frigate was supposed to be a sort of K.S.S Krucible Junior.

PUyuHSX.png

For some reason the screenshot came out very fuzzy, sorry for that.

A hydrofoil whose name i cant remember. I said at the very start of the KNS project that i was gonna do one, and now i did.

mtYPK2V.png

River class PT-boat. A true veteran from the KWII days.

P6rfVCs.png

The torpedoes are mounted on the side of the hull cause they can't launch from the tubes under their own power...without exploding that is.

A missile boat whose name i can't remember. A very modern sleek looking boat that can devastate even the largest warships.

dE8254H.png

qCZSgEM.png

Using the landing-can door system that i saw @Triop use in one of his ships allows for quick access between the bridge and the deck of the boat.

The bridge is currently armored up for maximum protection. The radiator panels can be removed to allow for better view.

I decided not to skim on detail when building these little boats.

In case you where wondering: You are probably wondering what's wrong with the locking radar, that's just because i have DCK installed, for some reason it messes the texture a bit.

In case you are wondering that just how much lost time that amount to, in the end it's not that much.

I can these days slap together and fully test a battleship in a matter of 3-4 hours.

Carriers take a lot more time, but with all the experience i've got, i don't think i will take that much time anymore.

All in all, i should have a sizeable fleet together in no time :wink:.

The first ships that i will be creating will be a carrier of some kind and a generic pre-dreadnaught era battleship (maby even 2) and cruiser.

Hopefully i'll be able to start making the post this week, but making of ships will happen once the 1.4.X version of BD-armory gets released.

Even though I know not many care, I figured I would post that it seems like the basic mechanism which leg powered rotors rely on is back to working. It seems like the landing legs having side collides is back to the way it was before 1.4.2, thankfully.  Most of my designs are still blowing up, but in a different way which makes me hope that the basic trick/mechanic is still pausible

1 minute ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Even though I know not many care, I figured I would post that it seems like the basic mechanism which leg powered rotors rely on is back to working. It seems like the landing legs having side collides is back to the way it was before 1.4.2, thankfully.  Most of my designs are still blowing up, but in a different way which makes me hope that the basic trick/mechanic is still pausible

Can you post a screenshot of one of these contraptions? I have not exploited landing legs, but non-powered wheels at a slight angle provide a pretty sizable force with which I've ran some propellers with.

Sure, the pic is a little hard to see but basically the mechanism is very similar to a turbo prop, however rather than being propelled by jet engines there are landing legs which push it. This is a pretty old picture, but one of the best I have of the actual mechanism. 

Btw, can you explain the wheel propeller thing? @OffsetIsMyName

MSUKGnn.jpg

Edited by Bubbadevlin

20 hours ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Sure, the pic is a little hard to see but basically the mechanism is very similar to a turbo prop, however rather than being propelled by jet engines there are landing legs which push it. This is a pretty old picture, but one of the best I have of the actual mechanism. 

Btw, can you explain the wheel propeller thing? @OffsetIsMyName

@Bubbadevlin Thanks for the pic, I need to try that out! Here's a short video of one I made to show what I mean:

Link to video (imgur embed went wrong)

This one doesn't go that fast, but might keep a lightweight plane afloat. 14.14rad/s seems to be the maximum with these wheels in this configuration, but all wheels tend to do this and there may be tricks to get it turn faster.

aan3BgT.jpgZO1VD0n.png

Edited by OffsetIsMyName
imgur no work

The Forrestal is delayed a bit since I want to get proper elevators working on it and they are really tough to get right, but in the meantime I've started building something else:

7fSy2N2.png

Any guesses on what this might be? :>

Coming soon, probably within the next two weeks or so.

3 hours ago, EvenFlow said:

Any guesses on what this might be? :>

Bit hard not to guess when there's a 1:350 scale model of it sitting right behind my head.

Spoiler

It's the Yamato of-course, unless your going for it's lesser known sister-ship Musashi.

And here's some info for everyone.

The Russian style truck project will be getting an expansion that will include (for now) a new type of cab for the original truck, and a couple of new trucks, one will be a more modern 8X8 and one will be a an old classic...or ancient rusty rot-box depending on your opinion.

The version with the new cab is pretty much done but needs some more tweaking as its super prone to tipping on it's side when cornering.

Heavy and light stock VTOLs.
uOsFQUx.jpg
Big one can lift 25 tonnes vertically from KSC with full internal fuel (5245 units), has the range to reach anywhere on Kerbin one-way and return from most places, and unladen can break 300m/s - not high by KSP standards, but far more than an IRL helicopter or tiltrotor. With KAS it can slingload cargo too big for the cargo bay, as seen here. 79 parts.
Little one is incredibly agile and easy to fly, and can maintain VTOL performance right up to the tops of Kerbin's highest mountains. It can carry up to 5 tonnes of cargo externally and variants can seat up to 6 Kerbals. Speed and range are still decent by IRL standards but pretty poor for KSP - 120m/s with 6 kerbals, 200+m/s without, maximum range around 1000km on internal fuel. This variant 54 parts.

Alright, 1.4.x version of BD-armory has been released, so now it's the moment of truth and time to see what's become of me navy.

And GOOD NEWS, all the crafts that have BD-armory stuff still works just fine (minus missing tracers that may be because of a setting of some kind), so looks like i can release the Grand Naval Expansion after-all.

BdVOaVG.png

(I use stealth rounds in War Thunder all the time so im actually kinda happy that i have no tracers at all).

Z1HK8JJ.png

Im just so happy and surprised that they all still work :D:D.

tijd9DF.png

I swear, some day I will actually release this craft. But until then, I keep tweaking and tweaking. 

I thinned the wing profile, and made it more consistent. Minor changes to the cockpit (lengthened and rounded it), plus changed the tail up a fair bit. Also am consistently lowering the part count. 319 now, at last count.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:47 PM, Gman_builder said:

This is the first craft ive posted in almost a year. It's my rendition of the super obscure German concept Arado E. 555-10 Schnellbomber thing. She flies great and performs realistically.

VdIldH8.png

Nice cockpit there sir.

On 5/9/2018 at 3:47 AM, Gman_builder said:

This is the first craft ive posted in almost a year. It's my rendition of the super obscure German concept Arado E. 555-10 Schnellbomber thing. She flies great and performs realistically.

VdIldH8.png

That tail . . .

0915917e49344013e494ec8476b62d83.jpg

giphy.gif

^_^

Edited by Triop