Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

YXpsf3p.png

A much more detailed pass on an F-16. I'm actually not sure what scale it's at - probably between kerbal scale and 1:1.

9wL6rPY.png

And just when I thought I could release my F-14, it failed the important test of "Can the thing land?" spectacularly. As it turns out, making a plane out of about 30% antennas turns it into a confetti-bomb.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:29 PM, Servo said:

And just when I thought I could release my F-14, it failed the important test of "Can the thing land?" spectacularly. As it turns out, making a plane out of about 30% antennas turns it into a confetti-bomb.

"Chaff Deployed!"

On 6/13/2018 at 1:29 PM, prgmTrouble said:

"Chaff Deployed!"

In this case, the entire plane doubles as a flak dispenser.

fJWtlRS.png

Some progress on the F-16. Tail definitely needs some work, this one is already looking much better than my earlier attempts.

GSZtugs.png

Also, I'm working on this Russian flyback booster design. This screenshot is from literally the only time that it worked. Haven't even thought about flight testing yet either. The empty booster is surprisingly light (25t), so I'm hoping a single wheesly will be enough to control descent.

@EvenFlowUsing a fairing for the wing edges is an awesome idea! Absolute genius!

I'm definitely using that on my next airliner, too bad I already have 2 big projects in the works.  :(  :confused:

EDIT:

The spinning turbines on those engines is amazing as well! Too much awesome on that craft!!

EDIT (Again):

What If you made the turbines a turboshaft! That way they would spin up whenever you throttled the engines!

I think I know what I'm gonna be doing for the next few hours.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

Okay so super spontanteous thing inspired by @EvenFlow. His GE90 was so awesome that It inspired me to make a similarly styled turbofan. I ended up making a GP7000 that turned out shockingly well! The turbine mechanism hasn't been added and the engine is currently unpowered. The assembly only weighs 1.8 tonnes and is only 13 parts so far.

jwnQyOW.jpg

AUH3rbE.jpg

zFpGwWa.jpg

Considering the aircraft that this engine is designed for, I expected it to be a bit bigger.

6 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Okay so super spontanteous thing inspired by @EvenFlow. His GE90 was so awesome that It inspired me to make a similarly styled turbofan. I ended up making a GP7000 that turned out shockingly well! The turbine mechanism hasn't been added and the engine is currently unpowered. The assembly only weighs 1.8 tonnes and is only 13 parts so far.

AUH3rbE.jpg

Considering the aircraft that this engine is designed for, I expected it to be a bit bigger.

HE'S MAKING THE 380 THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Absolutely beautiful work on the cowling here <3

8 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

@EvenFlowUsing a fairing for the wing edges is an awesome idea! Absolute genius!

I'm definitely using that on my next airliner, too bad I already have 2 big projects in the works.  :(  :confused:

EDIT:

The spinning turbines on those engines is amazing as well! Too much awesome on that craft!!

EDIT (Again):

What If you made the turbines a turboshaft! That way they would spin up whenever you throttled the engines!

I think I know what I'm gonna be doing for the next few hours.

Also I've got a few options in the works currently - a DockRotate powered engine which seems to be really reliable and stable so I'm using it as a reference and a stock bearing one which is working alright although some more stress-testing needs to be done. The turboshaft is a really nice idea if I get myself a mod which reduces engine smoke!

There's going to be some more functions such as actual custom landing gear trucks which will be retractable so I'll update you on the progress for sure after I'm done with my finals at the uni. :>

And thanks for appreciating the wings - they surely were the most exhausting part of the whole build since they are actually shaped like a real wing and have some volume to them. c:

Edited by EvenFlow

@EvenFlow Thanks for the compliment about the cowling! 

I actually figured out that engine smoke isn't really a problem. Juno's don't produce any smoke until they reach about 25% power. I finished the engine and the turbine is currently powered by 2 Juno's set to only 15% thrust, it spins nicely with absolutely no smoke. Obviously you need a really low friction bearing for this to work, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Little update: Sadly the development of the 777 is encountering more and more problems. Not only is editor getting extremely laggy when alot of fairings are present (I wish i could turn off these dumb fairing animations) but the landing gear is turning out to be a major issue too. Working on it is extremely frustrating due to editor lag. I'm currently trying to come up with some way to model the landing gear.

Hi @EvenFlow

I have three tips for you from building my concorde...

1. Build the Gear as a seperate part and then use the merge tool of the craft opener to import it.

2. Don't rely on rover wheels only for the gear because the can and will break. Just glitch in some other landing gear to take the load.

3. Make the gear dock in both positions to reduce lag when retracted

If you need someone for prototype testing etc you can contact me on discord as  HB Stratos#0800  

Also I could send you the gear of my concorde there.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:34 AM, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Juno's don't produce any smoke until they reach about 25% power.

Huh. Something must have changed since my junos never produce smoke. 

Ohhh right I part hacked it off. Personally think it's a bit nicer of a solution as you then aren't worried about smoke and power levels. Ever. I think I have to thank Azimech for this.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Ohhh right I part hacked it off.

I think I need to learn how to do that, my newest SSTO has 412 R.A.P.I.E.R.s, and at that point the lag that the exhaust and smoke produces is atrocious, removing it altogether would speed up the testing phase a lot.

3 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I think I need to learn how to do that, my newest SSTO has 412 R.A.P.I.E.R.s, and at that point the lag that the exhaust and smoke produces is atrocious, removing it altogether would speed up the testing phase a lot.

Oh its simple! Just go into the part cfg file for the part (rapier in this case) and find a chunk of code that looks like this. (This here is the juno, but the same applies)

EFFECTS
	{		
		running_thrust
		{			
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_jet_deep
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.05 0.2
				volume = 1.0 0.5
				pitch = 0.0 1.2
				pitch = 1.0 2.0
				loop = true
			}
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
				transformName = thrustTransform
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.05 0.0
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.25
				speed = 0.0 0.25
				speed = 1.0 1.0
				localOffset = 0, 0, 1
				localRotation = 1, 0, 0, -90
			}					
		}

Then just delete the section of PREFAB_PARTICLE (the title and the curly bracket section under it). That should remove all the engine effects forever. Hope this helps.

Edited by qzgy

Just now, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I'm totally gonna mess around with this some more. Like give the spark the exhaust of the rhino or something.

Go mad! Would love to see the results of it.