Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

8 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

The stock fairings save lag by being only one part, but they often have weird issues when attaching to other stuff. That's why my BFR replica is taking so darn long to make.

Until you get to the point of someone like Kronus where he uses fairings for giant fuselage sections. Then the fairing animation causes even more lag in the editor.

A peak into my WIP hangar...

I'm rapidly approaching 100 craft on KerbalX, so I figured that I should build something big to mark the occasion:

7eUIVZ7.png

This is a rebuild of a 1:1 STS I started but could never egg into orbit. After watching ShadowZone's video on shuttle building and stability, I decided to start from scratch.

x9RB9tr.png

I learned a good bit from the first one, including that I should probably put some RCS on the craft to keep it somewhat controllable. Also, minimizing thrust torque is a must. The engines are a necessary evil IMO. Vectors have enough thrust as-is, but they're entirely too small, so I made some nozzle extensions out of ore tanks.

QKrSc4F.png

And finally, another project I threw a few hours at today: the USAF's newest trainer aircraft - the Boeing-Saab T-X. 

On 9/28/2018 at 6:21 PM, Servo said:

I'm rapidly approaching 100 craft on KerbalX, so I figured that I should build something big to mark the occasion:

7eUIVZ7.png

This is a rebuild of a 1:1 STS I started but could never egg into orbit. After watching ShadowZone's video on shuttle building and stability, I decided to start from scratch.

x9RB9tr.png

I learned a good bit from the first one, including that I should probably put some RCS on the craft to keep it somewhat controllable. Also, minimizing thrust torque is a must. The engines are a necessary evil IMO. Vectors have enough thrust as-is, but they're entirely too small, so I made some nozzle extensions out of ore tanks.

Welp, I've found my next project...

9 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Welp, I've found my next project...

It's quite the project indeed. I was able to get this version to orbit on the first try, thanks to a much-improved control scheme and better thrust balance.

fFh90MV.png

With more optimal piloting / increased fuel loads, it can probably put about 20 tons into orbit (possibly more) in an absolutely massive cargo bay.

ThSmEx6.png

But for now, it's a massive shuttle look-alike that's pretty dead-on visually.

Ti2jg5Q.png

That said, landing presents quite a peril. The craft doesn't have a high enough terminal velocity (somehow) nor enough pitch authority to pull up for landing. The crew can survive the landing, but not much else does.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

That said, landing presents quite a peril. The craft doesn't have a high enough terminal velocity (somehow) nor enough pitch authority to pull up for landing. The crew can survive the landing, but not much else does.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens if you use too many wing parts. The game just tacks on lift and slows the terminal velocity. To fix the lack of control, I'd add some ore in the rear "engine bells." This should move the COM back closer to the COL. That's my two cents, anyway. 

If that doesn't work, just spam more reaction wheels.

After much failure with my first attempt at the BFR, I scrapped it all and reset. This is what I have so far:

Spoiler

imPshNx.png

L8vctHT.png

wTKCtDL.png

In case anyone is wondering, the previous attempt had hinges which relied on glitchy mechanics and for some reason wanted to explode for absolutely no reason when connected to the booster. I believe it has something to do with the fairings, so my new design will have to be smaller and more carefully designed.

Just jerkin around on the water tonight.  Trying to do a speed-paddleboat but mostly just getting spray.

oz05MYX.jpg

I'm also on my 3rd try to make a large 4 legged bot but I just can't get it to come together.  'Gotta get back to the chess set, and I got two different projects going with @Castille7.  I haven't squeezed out a youtube vid for sometime so I'll have to do a quicky of something here in the stable.