Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I'm making a return. I will be working on a updated Tesla Roadster replica, and a DeLorean DMC-12. I will also want to develop a new record breaking heavy lift vehicle of some kind, probably looking at 200kT to LKO.
Current setbacks include not currently having a PC, will be building one capable of running high part craft soon. Sold the old PC for a 1988 Toyota MR2 supercharged. Will be making a replica of that as well.
I'll leave you all with a picture! :)
sR8sY9E.png

Ae0e3xm.png

Just now, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Maybe I should rephrase on the very close. It's close, but not that close.  :) Think... bigger…   Hint: "arm lizard"

Ohhhhhhh ok. I see what you're saying ;)

Then you need to make something else to take it down :P

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, qzgy said:

Ohhhhhhh ok. I see what you're saying ;)

Then you need to make something else to take it down :P

*Dies a little on the inside*

Edit:  It is now that I begin to realize just how tall this thing's neck is.

fYpABxd.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

1r17Pfp.png

Had an incredibly productive two hours to work on my STS tonight, and I am proud to say that I have finally ironed out the two kinks that kept this from being ready for release. 

Firstly, the cargo bay doors are now 99% reliable, thanks primarily to some help from @HB Stratos, and some further tweaking on my part to loosen up the tolerances. Just look at that massivev cargo bay.

ZfcIn9J.png

Reentry was smoothed out as well. The braking action on the tail, plus the addition of clipped elevons in the nose allow for control from orbit all the way to the ground.

IMx9s8t.png

And for the first time ever, that means to the ground in one piece! Reentry testing revealed an absolutely abysmal terminal velocity of 70m/s in a full dive. It was utterly impossible to pull up for landing, even given enough control surfaces. Analysis showed that the MK3 parts which made up the forward and aft fuel tanks were responsible for most of this drag, so SCIENCE! was done. This particular brand of SCIENCE! involved crashing objects into the ground at high speed, so the ground crews were overjoyed.

7dH4OpH.png

Here we see a controlled trial between an unaided Mk3 tank, one with a Mk3-2.5m adapter, and one with a Mk3-Mk2 adapter. Fuel/ore were balanced such that each had the same amount of mass. The addition of either adapter increased the speed they hit the ground at by over 20m/s (drops were done from 3km using VesselMover extended), and the Mk3-Mk2 adapter masses 300kg less, so it was selected, and they were added on the 8 exposed nodes on the shuttle body, and then clipped back into the frame to maintain aesthetics.

The result was immediately obvious, as the new shuttle had an increased terminal velocity of over 80m/s, leading to the ability to develop landing procedures at last. 

On approach to the KSC, have a ~70 degree nose down attitude until KER reads impact in 6 seconds (~170m/s velocity). Pitch up to 30 degree nose down and level off at ~100m/s, and glide down as normal. Use the braking chutes and brake action groups to slow down.

13 hours ago, Servo said:

<snip>

On approach to the KSC, have a ~70 degree nose down attitude until KER reads impact in 6 seconds (~170m/s velocity). Pitch up to 30 degree nose down and level off at ~100m/s, and glide down as normal. Use the braking chutes and brake action groups to slow down.

Wow that's looking great. 

Out of curiosity... what would happen if you attempted reentry with the cargo bay doors unlocked?  Bad things I assume?

Edit: Also, can it maintain 38 degree angle of attack during part of reentry like the real thing?

52 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Progress

LU4YveI.jpg

The head on this thing is proving rather hard to make. Gonna be tough to make it actually look like something... might need to reshape the body too.  Perhaps a thicker base to the neck?  Anyone got any tips?

You could always go bigger. Though then it wouldn't be to scale. You could always try to use a bunch of little antenna to do more careful shaping maybe. Also looking at this

Brachiosaurus_NT_new.jpg

I think for the head its so small you shouldn't really worry about it much (also considering its kinda blocky shape)? But I would definitely say to make that kinda of curve into it as at the moment its quite sudden. Perhaps another thing to do is add a bit of bulk at the back base of the neck?

Its not looking too bad though.

5 minutes ago, qzgy said:

You could always go bigger. Though then it wouldn't be to scale. You could always try to use a bunch of little antenna to do more careful shaping maybe. Also looking at this

I think for the head its so small you shouldn't really worry about it much (also considering its kinda blocky shape)? But I would definitely say to make that kinda of curve into it as at the moment its quite sudden. Perhaps another thing to do is add a bit of bulk at the back base of the neck?

Its not looking too bad though.

Yah I was definitely thinking it needed to curve more into the head.  Just kind of stuck that thing on there as a placeholder for now.  It's a bit too... pointy as well.  Bracho head is rather blocky/stubby.

Anyways, perhaps I'll work on it tomorrow.  Time for bed lol.

Realised that due to lack of cyclic pitch control, a single rotor wasn't feasible so went to a pair going in opposite directions. Both rotors are completely unpowered.

This time it flies well and is easily controllable. Takeoff and landing are a breeze.

DuqKilh.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart