Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I took about an hour and a half putting this together. It's one of the few U.S. Military jets that I haven't made yet: The Grumman F11F Tiger.

7c1YE68.png

I've got a build video that I plan on releasing soon-ishtm, once I get another pair of hours to edit it together.

oFRpTRQ.png 

Here it was about a half-hour into the build. I wound up rebuilding the aft fuselage pretty significantly, which undid a good bit of the work on the nose (somehow). 

Sy9OgnE.png

Here's the immediate aftermath of the first test flight. I didn't expect it to survive the landing as well at all (there's almost no clearance for the tail), but somehow the tailhook (which was deployed) also made it. The biggest change after this flight was the reshaping of the cockpit, which was too arched.

Just taught id give you guys an update on the video stuff, and other stuff in general.

So, i was supposed to upload the triple showcase thingy like two weeks ago...well, it's been shot but needs to be edited.

There is also another video on the works. But, when this will actually get done, i don't really know. I have work that involves 3D modelling (Rhino and Fusion360) and i also just got a 3D printer (FlashForge Finder 2.0, a cheap starter one that get's the job done. I will likely be getting a proper one like we had at school (Ultimaker 2 Extended +) at some point in the furture), so there's gonna be a lot of printing and 3D modelling on the side, and then there's all the other projects i would like to get done.

Basically, just don't hold your breath, videos will be coming, but it might take a while. Same goes for other forum and KSP stuff.

BE4L0tX.png

After taking a nice long look at the F-11F, it needed a lot of work to get to the point that I'd be happy releasing it. This is the first major step in that direction. Reshaped literally everything except the horizontal stabilizers, and moved to a cockpit that's the right color.

xuSi4Bj.png

And at @HolidayTheLeek's insistence, I started this.

MRWaXwX.png

Here's the guts - triple hinge, 10 SAS wheel motor. Got a test rig up to 45m/s on the ground, so hopefully it'll have enough oopmh to lift what will probably be a 10 ton craft off the ground.

Not working my job this week, just burning vacation.  So the ol' motorcar, a car which struggles with it's identity, but which I don't want to abandon, is getting a new landing leg engine.  Probably.

o55Gmp7.jpg

17 hours ago, klond said:

Not working my job this week, just burning vacation.  So the ol' motorcar, a car which struggles with it's identity, but which I don't want to abandon, is getting a new landing leg engine.  Probably.

o55Gmp7.jpg

Although I have no idea how yours works I'd like to propose the idea of custom controls opening one set of landing gears and then closing them only to open another set with another key in a certain firing order... like a set of pistons. Think that would be possible in KSP, just as a fun experiment? I can't see it being practical. Hard to put into words, I might try it myself.

2 hours ago, He_162 said:

open another set with another key in a certain firing order

Never thought of it, but it sounds fun.  Button 1 would extend piston 1 and retract 2-8, etc, etc.  There's a weird problem though - If you use legs for force they gotta stay permanently extended for most stuff because they don't function as legs while they're retracting and extending.  Can cause big bada-booms.

Hey, what's that nice looking car in your sig?

Edited by klond

2 hours ago, klond said:

Never thought of it, but it sounds fun.  Button 1 would extend piston 1 and retract 2-8, etc, etc.  There's a weird problem though - If you use legs for force they gotta stay permanently extended for most stuff because they don't function as legs while they're retracting and extending.  Can cause big bada-booms.

Hey, what's that nice looking car in your sig?

That's my Tesla Roadster replica! :)
https://kerbalx.com/He_162/162-Tesla-Roadster

6NshG6J.png

I have a remodel I've been working on since the release of the thing, haven't gotten around to fixing the fenders and the headlights. Should look really nice when I'm done.

Edited by He_162

On 11/23/2018 at 4:26 PM, Castille7 said:

Most of you know me, I got more WIP then a Horse Jockey at the Kentucky Derby!! :D 

This was the first phase of this project, a Command Center, the second phase would be the framework between the lighted panels, phase three add the lighted panel sections in alternating launches with the framework that would go between them........and that was the wish hand! You can see how this project went in the photo gallery below.

Spacedock Azimuth then Space Station Azimuth attempts

Jpn1Qwm.png

This was one of my inspirational pictures

7-old.jpg

Photo Gallery

Hide contents

This is what I was hoping to complete but complications have become overwhelming, not sure if I will continue with another attempt at a later date or not.

Qhn92N5.png

Off to Orbit we go!!!!.......yeah often easier said then done! This barely made Orbit

bdCRwZc.png

Many trips to the Launch pad were made until it was structurally sound enough to Launch, and many Launches failed

sEKTHzi.png

Idea after idea and launch after launch these sections where just not cooperating with me.

QLieVFK.png

th5xA5V.png

JSyWR46.png

SaFKBw9.png

c8ic5ex.png

swES6nJ.png

bFlNAUK.png

Things weren't connecting well, launches and rendezvous were taking lot's of time more ideas came to mind but couplers were not functioning correctly because I brought the project into a newer version. At lease that's what I'm thinking caused their malfunction. I was not about to put this into Orbit again with new couplers.......:confused:

6lx9lDo.png

w09e3tg.png

y4fZV9H.png

RxQz2Rq.png

AVDLNz7.png

Decided to create a Space Station with the Command Center and add Labs with Communications and the Coupler trouble i was having was still happening, totally forgot about that and was going for one last attempt to have a completed project here. :/

RKPeHUX.png

To be continued?..........uh.....not sure atm....

I tried a Star Trek style space dock, but the part count was way high, reduced the count a bit but then trying to pull a star ship up too it........ well just too much for this guys PC. ...................I like what you were doing here though!

12 hours ago, Kerbalwerks said:

I tried a Star Trek style space dock, but the part count was way high, reduced the count a bit but then trying to pull a star ship up too it........ well just too much for this guys PC. ...................I like what you were doing here though!

Thank you! A little motivation like that can go a long way :D Speaking of high part count, I do run into drag also. I'll be hammering on this project again after a construction site Klond and I are working on.

10 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Thank you! A little motivation like that can go a long way :D Speaking of high part count, I do run into drag also. I'll be hammering on this project again after a construction site Klond and I are working on.

Hmm this site you and Klond are working on.............can you put post some of it here./?

8 hours ago, Kerbalwerks said:

Hmm this site you and Klond are working on.............can you put post some of it here./?

Lots more to be seen when complete. @klond will have lots of cool mechanical engineered stuff he's known for.

Gq3HK9N.png  

Edited by Castille7

bW4Gm71.png

AskSomeoneElse and I began our plans for producing a Voodo Video (say that five times fast), and I started making pretty screenshots.

y00M58C.png

I also modified my RF-101C into a the boring-old F-10C (harder than expected, actually)

zrRbAtG.png

And once again, I modified my F11F Tiger, decreasing the cockpit size and moving it farther back, plus increasing the root chord of the wings to better match the real deal.