Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

How is your computer not melted yet?

Looks like its coming along well.

Simple, 1.6 works wonders. My pc is handling this better than my previous station of 1750 parts, about 5x as fast in the editor and about 2x as fast in game and that with 2x the part count!

52 minutes ago, Torn4dO said:

Simple, 1.6 works wonders. My pc is handling this better than my previous station of 1750 parts, about 5x as fast in the editor and about 2x as fast in game and that with 2x the part count!

Wow, sounds great. Might eventually have to update then....

Just now, Phantomic said:

forgot the lunar module wasnt stock. that is a great looking version my man!

Thanks dude! Building it at 1:3 scale introduces some interesting challenges, I've been packing as much functionality in it as I can.

I've finished the SIVB And reworked the command capsule

pQw2Okv.jpg

gbe5O8W.gif

The capsule probably took the most time to get functioning whilst also fitting a kerbal.

SII is done, Part Count is beginning to get up there, 423. Aesthetically it's turning out better than I had hoped. Fitting in features like the interstage fairings is probably the single biggest contributer part count wise, All things considered I may make a "Lite" version of this once I finish it.

42ydrR8.gif

Gifs are a nice way of reducing clutter, they look kinda crappy though.

EDIT:

Most Important Detail

eWzprBe.jpg

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

On 1/2/2019 at 8:02 PM, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Most Important Detail

I am super curious how you managed to do that.

Mostly finished product looks good, just missing details like you said (and fins although I guess those are a detail.....).

7 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I am super curious how you managed to do that.

I just have 4, 2.5 meter command pods just barely clipping through the fairing, with all the unimportant bits hidden by radiators.

That one detail alone represents 5% of the craft's entire weight. Screw efficiency.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

2 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I just have 4, 2.5 meter command pods just barely clipping through the fairing, with all the unimportant bits hidden by radiators.

That one detail alone represents 10% of the craft's entire weight. Screw efficiency.

Oh, thats quite clever. I can understand that now.

It's KSP - I think you don't need to be super efficient.

I appreciate these kinds of builds as pieces of art, but I don't have the patience (or the computing power) to do them myself. My potato laptop starts to have trouble around 4-500 parts. My Jool-5 ship had around 700 at launch I think; I had to turn a bunch of settings down.

35 minutes ago, Phantomic said:

01rEw2i.png

fuselage is done, anyone got an idea yet? it's about time to hand it over to holiday for wings and engines

Is it a balsa birb?

9 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I appreciate these kinds of builds as pieces of art, but I don't have the patience (or the computing power) to do them myself. My potato laptop starts to have trouble around 4-500 parts. My Jool-5 ship had around 700 at launch I think; I had to turn a bunch of settings down.

Is it a balsa birb?

no my man it is not. right now it's about 350 parts before the engines and wings which are really gonna suck down the performance

22 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Last Update before this is finished, Only a few details left to add (and testing). Thankfully Kronal Vessel works in 1.6, although I had to shop a bunch of images to get everything in one shot.

-snip-

Excellent! I love the flags and the detail you put into the S-IC and S-II with the corrugation between the fuel tanks where they would have been on the actual Saturn V, is that done by radiators?