Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

8 minutes ago, Munbro Kerman said:

Excellent! I love the flags and the detail you put into the S-IC and S-II with the corrugation between the fuel tanks where they would have been on the actual Saturn V, is that done by radiators?

Yes, they are done using radiator edges. those corrugated sections add a total of 128 parts to the craft. It may be possible to create a similar effect using the existing corrugation patterns on the radiators themselves, however the radiators would have to be oriented 90 degrees from the direction in which their curved shapes fit into the body of the rocket, so I went with the more part heavy solution. I feel it is worth it however, as those sections of the rocket are so barren otherwise, they add some much necessary texture.

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

Needs some tuning.

-snip-

Oooh, is that an F-14 I see? The Tomcat is by far my favorite US fightercraft.

4 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Oooh, is that an F-14 I see?

Yep, not liking how it looks now from top side, I might redo this all over.

31XAzOt.png

I love the Tomcat too, I remember having the Top Gun Tomcat logo batch, ironing it on my jacket. &)

giphy.gif

I took about a week and a half off of KSP over the holidays, so I'm just getting back to it now.

I started this project on a whim, but I think it has a lot of promise. I'm targeting a 250 part, Mach 2 Hustler Replica, and I think that I'm on path to make it happen.

9G13wQ9.png

Of course, it wouldn't be one of my builds if I didn't do it in style.

BGcbHq9.png

I also made sure that my latest Tomcat still works in 1.6 (which I just now updated to), which with some modifications, works just fine.

Edited by Servo

On 1/4/2019 at 8:23 AM, Phantomic said:

fuselage is done, anyone got an idea yet?

Yea, i think i may have an idea

Spoiler

ApLRmxH.png

One of my old giant builds that never got released.

Btw, i almost was about to guess from the original sneakpeek that it would be a JU-52, or something similar. Good thing i waited :wink:.

On other news, i have been working on the K.S.S Krucible II post as much as time has allowed me, and it should be ready tomorrow...finally.

3 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Yea, i think i may have an idea

Hide contents

ApLRmxH.png

One of my old giant builds that never got released.

Btw, i almost was about to guess from the original sneakpeek that it would be a JU-52, or something similar. Good thing i waited :wink:.

On other news, i have been working on the K.S.S Krucible II post as much as time has allowed me, and it should be ready tomorrow...finally.

yeah that's indeed the one

XKCtCT2.png

The Hustler is finished (for now). I've decided to settle for engines that are slightly too big in exchange for through-the-roof performance numbers. 600m/s at 150m above sea level, cruise at 1/4 throttle and 800m/s at 18km. The limit is set by the heating tolerance of the intakes and wings at altitude, and on altitude runs I've topped this thing out at 51.3km.

SGcSFBY.png

Plus, it looks the part. 212 parts makes this an extremely part-economical build too. And who can say no to a blacked-out cockpit?

Fw9yfVc.png

@EvenFlow use these KS3P configs: https://pastebin.com/4uthCBd4
they remove the silly lens dirt and improve some other effects.

Found them somwhere on reddit, can´t remember where though

Found it (probably the replies will merge)

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/8zxe6x/shoutout_to_ks3p_fantastic_postprocessing_mod/

Working on a hybrid buggy.

I have great plans with this, I'm planning on doing a circumnavigation using Kerbin Konstructs mod to lay bridges for the buggy.

TlQfHcE.png

RNvMe0V.png

0PmTzBP.png

B7yqDD6.png

I'm not sure yet if I will do it, it needs a lot of preperation first.

But I'm positive about this, I did the pole2pole, driving 2 weeks allmost nonstop, so I'm crazy enough to do it . . .^_^

Edited by Triop

2 hours ago, Triop said:

Working on a hybrid buggy.

I have great plans with this, I'm planning on doing a circumnavigation using Kerbin Konstructs mod to lay bridges for the buggy.

TlQfHcE.png

RNvMe0V.png

0PmTzBP.png

B7yqDD6.png

I'm not sure yet if I will do it, it needs a lot of preperation first.

But I'm positive about this, I did the pole2pole, driving 2 weeks allmost nonstop, so I'm crazy enough to do it . . .^_^

that could take a while. props to you my man.

if you wanna make a montage out of it, when you get to the desert strip, maybe we could hop on an LMP server and i could do a few fly-bys, cruise in "formation" for a bit.

I've been playing with vehicles at Eve and I've got a few winners!  The rover chassis is pretty resistant to flipping (it tends to flat spin) and pretty fast (75 burst, 50 cruise)when "skating" using diff steering on the huge wheels.  The Eve lifter is an over-engineered design that can actually survive some damage on ascent and still  have enough dV to get the job done.  My latest test cycle of rover and lifter design, drop, and return to orbit went so well I started the final burn on the mid stage boosters and finished with fuel in the drop tanks..   I'm using HyperEdit from pad to Eve orbit, but I'm really pleased how both of these turned out!

CGaIFSI.png

MbA1guU.png

oYVCSuF.png

Album

https://imgur.com/a/YhVpOWP

I am always looking for ideas to build in KSP and thought about a Spacecraft I saw in a movie (Event Horizon). When Searching this little craft showed up as the J77 - Event Horizon, a Star Wars Craft, in other searches it's an A-Wing. I've been wanting to build this one and finally got to start on it.

3 hours ago, Castille7 said:

I am always looking for ideas to build in KSP and thought about a Spacecraft I saw in a movie (Event Horizon). When Searching this little craft showed up as the J77 - Event Horizon, a Star Wars Craft, in other searches it's an A-Wing. I've been wanting to build this one and finally got to start on it.

that reminds me of something i found way back in 3.1 or so,

lzuqO7n.png

Fairings dont shield control surfaces, not sure about wings but this thing did about 90 with 4 junos.

LFlMFnf.png

I tried to super size it but it didnt work. coincidentally this is also how i figured out that fairings themselves have a crash tolerance of about 120 m/s.

maybe one of you guys would like to screw around with this?

I made this UFO back in 1.3.1. It doesn't fly very well and was tough to build, but it looks pretty cool. All stock too. It was kind of my first foray into more advanced building tricks. One of these days I'll make a new version that can actually get to space.

sslWSy6.png

1lgKYFP.png

HGa75Od.png

3 hours ago, Phantomic said:

that reminds me of something i found way back in 3.1 or so,

lzuqO7n.png

Fairings dont shield control surfaces, not sure about wings but this thing did about 90 with 4 junos.

LFlMFnf.png

I tried to super size it but it didnt work. coincidentally this is also how i figured out that fairings themselves have a crash tolerance of about 120 m/s.

maybe one of you guys would like to screw around with this?

I couldn't get elevons to work inside a fairing blimp in 1.5.x.  Never tried it before that tho.  Maybe if you leave one end open?

If fairings have good crash tolerance maybe they'd make good DIY wheels!  Good info.  Nice UFO too.

2 hours ago, Phantomic said:

any suggestions on trailers? definitely gonna make a flat bed, maybe another dump truck?

Maybe a tanker too? One of those like double trailers could also be neat...