Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Update Falcon 9 - Dragon V2

- smaller Trunk (Cargo Modul)

- No Fairing

- same Engine Confi ;-)

All parts of this rocket can be recovered, no Debris, maximum Orbit 400 Km (if you want to recover all). I´m really wondering about that, the main stage landing is the easiest part of this... 

11 hours ago, Servo said:

2017 was the year for solar panel cockpits, 2018 was the year for fuel tank cockpits. I bring you 2019: the year of the communotron.

qYi77Fr.png\

I mean, who doesn't love flat black cockpits? 

kVKPZQA.png

I noticed that the B-2 was sorely lacking a modern replica, so I set out to fix that. This may get dialed back a smidge in scale - I didn't realize just how big the B-2 was.

This is as far as I got tonight, more progress to come.

I literally started making the Spirit about 20 hours ago. What is this sorcery?

The cockpit looks gorgeous! The biggest challenge will be getting that fuselage curvature right, I'm super eager to see the results!

My own take won't be ready for a while though since I have my exams coming up and they won't pass themselves sadly.

6 hours ago, EvenFlow said:

I literally started making the Spirit about 20 hours ago. What is this sorcery?

The cockpit looks gorgeous! The biggest challenge will be getting that fuselage curvature right, I'm super eager to see the results!

My own take won't be ready for a while though since I have my exams coming up and they won't pass themselves sadly.

Well, that just means that one of us is psychic...

Got any progress you're willing to share on yours?

RpKBm56.png

Update on my end, I made the cockpit entirely too small, and too far forwards, so I fixed my mistake. This one is much closer to the source's shape too. Helps to be building at a much larger scale. I've kept the small cockpit in case I wind up wanting to make a subscale B-2 (because this one will easily be 500 parts).

Pzw4MP1.png

The same overlays that revealed that I underdid the cockpit helped me fix the shaping on the wing. I've continued the trailing edge around more, and will probably finish the wing before I start on the fuselage. It's kinda odd building a plane backwards, but considering that the B-2 is a flying wing, it stands to reason that that should come first.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:18 PM, Servo said:

(because this one will easily be 500 parts).

So that was a lie...

TGG16er.png

The Spirit is currently sitting at 540 parts, and as you can see, there's a good bit of work left to be done. However, there's a lot of progress to report on.

The underside was completely redone to be more accurately shaped, and to allow for the twin bomb bays plus landing gear bays.

KDALWu7.png

Also - it flies! 

There are a couple odd caveats to that one though. The first: it tops out at 80m/s on 8 panthers. Not sure how that math works out, but it probably has something to do with the fact that this craft is 80% wing panels at odd angles. I'm sure it'll fly brilliantly in FAR, though.

Secondly: this plane has the most screwed-up control scheme of any craft I think I'll ever release. Pitch is normal, but roll is reversed, because I had to set the middle set of elevons to negative control authority to get them to actuate correctly. The best part is the yaw control, though. Action groups 1, 2, and 3 set the control of the outboard rudders to deployed or neutral, allowing for yaw control on this yaw-less flying wing.

BGbP00g.png

Also, I'm just really proud of how the underside turned out.

8 hours ago, Servo said:

So that was a lie...

TGG16er.png

The Spirit is currently sitting at 540 parts, and as you can see, there's a good bit of work left to be done. However, there's a lot of progress to report on.

The underside was completely redone to be more accurately shaped, and to allow for the twin bomb bays plus landing gear bays.

KDALWu7.png

Also - it flies! 

There are a couple odd caveats to that one though. The first: it tops out at 80m/s on 8 panthers. Not sure how that math works out, but it probably has something to do with the fact that this craft is 80% wing panels at odd angles. I'm sure it'll fly brilliantly in FAR, though.

Secondly: this plane has the most screwed-up control scheme of any craft I think I'll ever release. Pitch is normal, but roll is reversed, because I had to set the middle set of elevons to negative control authority to get them to actuate correctly. The best part is the yaw control, though. Action groups 1, 2, and 3 set the control of the outboard rudders to deployed or neutral, allowing for yaw control on this yaw-less flying wing.

BGbP00g.png

Also, I'm just really proud of how the underside turned out.

I will probably download this, it's gonna be pretty low in terms of part count

Working on a jet that can refuel other jets on bases all around the world.

It has over 2000 LF.

Testflying now.

WPiCWqM.png

EDIT:

I've added more fueltanks in the middle, it now has 2560 LF on board. Mass: 21.105t :o

CZW2fJi.png

Edited by Triop

15 hours ago, Phantomic said:

I will probably download this, it's gonna be pretty low in terms of part count

699 parts, ready for release. That low enough for you?

12 hours ago, PaperAviator said:

>be me

>suddenly feel itch to play ksp after almost a year

>log onto forums to see whats going on

>servo is making a b2 replica

dammit i was too late

Don't let what anyone else is building stop you from sharing your craft! Things would get pretty boring around here if nobody contributed because someone else was doing the same thing. Besides, I bet you anything yours beats mine in handling, top speed, and most importantly part count any day of the week.

T3G3oM2.png

I'm uploading this in the morning, so last update before release. I finished off the upper body and finished flight testing this beast.

Y6lcvp7.png

You can get a pretty good look at the rudder steering here, plus the top speed. Not kidding, this thing tops out at 65m/s in level flight. I keep thinking the panthers are occluded, but nothing's overheating.

I've edited up some screenshots to make everything pretty, and will assemble them and the KerbalX page tomorrow.

All the years I've been playing, I still haven't done a Mission going to the Mun and Back. Many times I've started building a nice Lander and then got sidetracked to other projects that are still needing to be completed. I know I've said it before......I have soooo many WIPS and still starting another one...aaaahh! It's not by choice, KSP is so much fun I keep wanting to do the next fun thing I see and drop everything else to do so :D Back to this post, I started this build and want it to look as much to the RL as I can. So far I've made a few test and went into LKO. There is a weak point that rigid setting and autostrut isn't keeping it from breaking. I've placed some struts at the weak section and testing it now, it doesn't look too good and I may try to reconstruct it. 

iYyhEXl.png

Spoiler

DkXQNP0.png

uYaJ4Nz.png

There is an MK1-3 Command Pod inside those Radiator Panels......more pictures later

3VS6xWJ.png

Edited by Castille7