Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Hello! I've been hard at work on another replic- what? Servo's making an original craft? What year is it!?

The year is 1986, and the U.S. Navy is looking for a new heavy carrier based fighter to counter the developing threat of the highly maneuverable MiG-28. The Navy's current F-14D Tomcats are only on even footing with the new Soviet threat in the hands of elite pilots. The Navy wanted a more agile aircraft for low-speed dogfighting, while still retaining the effectiveness of the Tomcat as a heavy fighter-interceptor for CAP and fleet defense. Grumman was contacted to create a Super-Tomcat to counter the new threat, featuring advanced technologies and current research. This was the result:aX0Ne2H.png

The YF-28 "Alleycat" is a heavily modified F-14 base, swapping the swing wing of the Tomcat for a swept delta configuration. It features innovative leading-edge canards, one-dimensional thrust vectoring, and highly advanced fly-by-wire systems to allow it to take on the new Soviet threat.

5lB5LPO.png

This was a fun challenge to take on (I'm not done with it yet, still polishing details). I went through and designed a "proposal" for each generation of fighter aircraft, going from the straight-winged early subsonics through the future-forwards 6th generation. This was my 4th generation fighter, taking cues from the F-14 Tomcat (obviously), the F-15 Eagle, as well as from the research aircraft of the time.

QHOjg7X.png

probably the best armed plane i'v built since i stopped using BDA, got a stock semi-auto cannon with 6 rockets and 2 "bombs" and is very encumbered

uYhcaRi.png

the cannon has a tube mag and is under those radiators, i really like how simple i can fire the gun, it uses 2 ailerons, one at the end of the tube magazine and one offset inside the width of an RCS ball. when you activate the action group, the one offset inside closes off the magazine and then the one at the end opens up and drops the ball into the chamber,

m0XR0Dm.png

Edited by Phantomic

On 2/5/2019 at 11:12 AM, Phantomic said:

@Jon144

what's the most powerful, compact prop you'v built with your dumpling bearings, and may i use them in a large build?

Yes! All of my designs are KSP creative commons lol. 

This is my most powerful production engine. Comes with a guide on how to install it properly. 

https://kerbalx.com/Jon144/Kestrel-M6-120

F4C8E939AAC68BFC609BAFFF121750C1792622A0

My K6F-Viper plane is much more powerful, but what I did was simply string two of these engines together into one big single one. Sorry for the late reply. 

Also have a new one i'm working on. Something different this time.

426D2408AECFD66D8E131D8DDF7846B54A7CCCD9

Edited by Jon144

1 hour ago, Munbro Kerman said:

Sneak peek on another ~1:1 scale plane. In case you didn't look at the title, its a McDonnell Douglas F-15 (most likely C variant).

The main wings looks a bit too small and the vertical tail also looks a bit out of ratio.

Lower the landing gear you used as the side fuelpods a bit, feels like they stick out verticaly.

You've nailed the rest imo, the front landing gear position is spot on and the length is fine.

Sorry for me being critical, couldn't help it . . . :unsure:

To make it worse, I don't like those fueltanks canopy's I see nowadays. -_-

O boy, I'm not making friends here... :lol:

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

The main wings looks a bit too small and the vertical tail also looks a bit out of ratio.

Lower the landing gear you used as the side fuelpods a bit, feels like they stick out verticaly.

You've nailed the rest imo, the front landing gear position is spot on and the length is fine.

Sorry for me being critical, couldn't help it . . . :unsure:

To make it worse, I don't like those fueltanks canopy's I see nowadays. -_-

O boy, I'm not making friends here... :lol:

No, please, I always welcome constructive criticism, thanks for your input. I knew that the wings and vert. stabilizers seemed to be a bit wonky in terms of proportion, that confirms my suspicion. As for the canopy, for me personally the only reason I even use those fuel tanks is you can get a decent outline of what the canopy should look like without going too part crazy (dear god those solar panels).

On 2/12/2019 at 4:23 AM, Munbro Kerman said:

No, please, I always welcome constructive criticism, thanks for your input.

Yeah, but mostly we stay polite and don't mention flaws we see. ^_^

Critism is good, I know when I replicate a craft in KSP I can get lost in details thinking they are correct.

Edit: I live near an airforcebase here in Holland, I grew up with American guest F-15's and even F-117.

It's a helicopter base now, apaches and chinooks mostly, no jets anymore . . . -_-

Edited by Triop

Still working on my first Mun and Back Mission. The Rocket is similar to the Apollo 11, not a replica, I am using the MK1-3 Command Pod and the MK2 Lander Can. The Command Pod is inside the Radiator Panel section. So far I've made a few landings on the Mun and 2 successful trips to the Mun and Back. Right now the craft name is MNB-161 (Mun N Back Version 1.6.1).

Here's a GIF and a few photos for this update

https://i.imgur.com/yoeaijz.mp4

DCO5BTB.png

Spoiler

bFeZHNK.png

XfOjKp9.png

VsKwVt4.png

5zQ1O4T.png

Edited by Castille7

I'm working on a shuttle for STS-9, AKA the space potato challenge. Since offset thrust will be a problem after grabbing the potato, I decided to solve it by mounting some Nervs vertically. These could qualify for VTOL operations on Minmus, but they aren't powerful enough for most anywhere else. That doesn't matter though, because I'll only be flying "vertically" through space.

LRGtKuL.png

zwr9x9l.png

screenshot108.png?width=800&height=450screenshot109.png?width=800&height=450screenshot106.png?width=800&height=450

May I present: KSPs (at least I didn'd find any) first cruise missle with folding wings. The missile cruises at about 160 m/s but it will go faster. It´s a replica of the  AGM-158 JASSM cruise missile and is still in the prototype phase, but it will be found on KerbalX once done

I made this on a lark. A reusable nuclear spaceplane with 7,8k dv and the ability to land on the Mun.

EDIT:This is not an SSTO and the launch vehicle is not reusable, while the craft itself is (CBA to make a reusable launcher for a sandbox build.)

Au97oHg.png

https://kerbalx.com/Korsakovski/VF-1-Firebird

https://imgur.com/gallery/cyqrqvg

Edited by Korsakovski

FhEZSpz.png

Finally got around to building a Dumpling/panel prop with 18 wheels and may or may not have used jon's as a source of inspiration, i was having a lot of vibration issues with the prop, so i went to see how he did it, you gotta put the blades directly over a bearing.

With the decreased parts compared to a contemporary engine (65 vs. 55) and extra power, i think i'll use this quite a bit where radius isnt as much of an issue.

lastly, jon at high speeds it keeps bumping against the tanks and they jump forward ad backwards a lot, how did you fix this with yours?

MNB-161

Update: 2-16-19

During testing I found the Command Pod will have to be flipped. When Plotting a course it was facing 180 D. During the return to Kerbin I found 800m LKO is working good for the reentry. Still haven't splashed down near the KSC yet.

bWseIPo.png

Heading back to Kerbin

fFTAj5a.png

I2NG9mD.png

Edited by Castille7

On 2/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, Phantomic said:

FhEZSpz.png

Finally got around to building a Dumpling/panel prop with 18 wheels and may or may not have used jon's as a source of inspiration, i was having a lot of vibration issues with the prop, so i went to see how he did it, you gotta put the blades directly over a bearing.

With the decreased parts compared to a contemporary engine (65 vs. 55) and extra power, i think i'll use this quite a bit where radius isnt as much of an issue.

lastly, jon at high speeds it keeps bumping against the tanks and they jump forward ad backwards a lot, how did you fix this with yours?

Not sure how you designed it, I would highly consider downloading mine that I posed earlier to see how I constructed it. In my design the nosecone is actually part of the ball bearing system along with the solar panels. The nosecone should be pushed into the dumpling slightly to prevent them from moving forwards/backwards. This has been tested to greatly increase stability. Also make sure to keep the center of the SAS stack rigid with the dumplings. I believe you did this though from seeing the i-beams. I use an internal strut system in mine to save weight. Hope this helps.

Edited by Jon144

Two separate updates from my 100% stock shenanigans. 

A new reliable 45 part K-Drive with 1 click ease of use. Pressing 1 button will engage/disengage the K-drive and re-dock it to the main craft for time warp. 

(Click the HD symbol for higher quality gifs)

Also a new propeller plane that breaks my personal records, traveling upwards of 270 m/s.