Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

A more conventional approach to one of my current WIPs that I couldn't seem to find the problem with.
ZfaT9py.png
This works perfectly, its not the actual WIP though.

Personally I'm very satisfied with the actual WIP(below) since it had a lot of improvements over my previous designs especially with regards to the undercarriage.
XrEg0YY.png

Felt like making a Crawler Transporter, and soon a Mobile Launch Platform to launch my shuttle from. I got the Crawler Transporter basically done... just need to figure out how to fake the hydraulic lifting function. It's stock, but the launch pad(s) are LC 39 from Tundra's Space Center mod, with the crawlerway in the background from Omega482's Stockalike Structures.

It has a top speed way higher than real life, but is pretty proportional to the real one.

09qFNsL.png

I have an upcoming SSTO in the works.

utQQVg9.png

Perseus is supposed to carry 10 tons worth of cargo to the Mun and then return safely, but I'm currently working on the "safely" part.

Last time I tried a landing, she REALLY liked to point herself engine-end first and not give me a change to rotate her back in the right direction.

Perseus' current iteration has allowed me to reorient her with the aid of some engine power, but she still needs some working on before she can be released.

Edited by Fox Arcana

1 hour ago, Triop said:

How long did it take you to make this ?

Awesome.

For the most part, one evening - 90% in a few hours. That doesn't count me looking into its design and sizes and all that stuff. I kinda had an idea of how I wanted to do it, and once I figured out how I wanted my tracks to look, it was pretty straightforward.

Once I got it built, my wheels started freaking out on load in and were vibrating/bouncing around a little and destroying themselves or making the CT clip into the runway and blow everything up. I finally got it under control by lowering the Spring Strength and Dampener Strength. So that final bit took another evening.

A little sideproject based off the alternate approach. Unstable, particularly at low speeds and tends to do accidental Cobras when you try to pitch up to climb.

59QZh6V.png

And the undercarriage I was very satisfied with, fits Mk0 based cargo perfectly, clean and simple without the unnecessary complexity that my other planes have. A very promising base design to work off for my future planes.

4D15lX3.png

9 hours ago, Phantomic said:

978o9wg.png

heavily based on klond's engines, i'm building a V-4. not done yet but it's about halfway done, i just need to add the valves and engines then get it all timed

I want a T-shirt with the thermometer on it. Easily the most versatile part in the game. 

Designing a new (afaik) cockpit design.

Spoiler

YvyVXpw.pngaQ09L6E.pngOSQnYcl.png

I am surprised at how easy it was to make the cockpit; I used a cubic octagonal strut and attached the barometers to them, then copied and mirrored the strut to finish the dome. Might tweak it a bit so that it looks less like a sphere and perhaps try to lower the part count.

1 hour ago, prgmTrouble said:

Designing a new (afaik) cockpit design.

Hide contents

YvyVXpw.pngaQ09L6E.pngOSQnYcl.png

I am surprised at how easy it was to make the cockpit; I used a cubic octagonal strut and attached the barometers to them, then copied and mirrored the strut to finish the dome. Might tweak it a bit so that it looks less like a sphere and perhaps try to lower the part count.

woah that is weirdly insect-like and beautiful, kinda like the B-36's green house.

w7zVbGA.png

on an unrelated note, i'v spent about 2 1/2 hours building a reaally large prop for my standards, here it is next to my previously most powerful engine with a total of 90 units of torque, the one i just built has about 412 because of the whistance trick, i highly recommend going to bradley whistance's youtube channel if you want to up your props even more.

did a bit of talking with kronus and it pulled about 215 kn flat out.

19 minutes ago, Phantomic said:

on an unrelated note, i'v spent about 2 1/2 hours building a reaally large prop for my standards, here it is next to my previously most powerful engine with a total of 90 units of torque, the one i just built has about 412 because of the whistance trick, i highly recommend going to bradley whistance's youtube channel if you want to up your props even more.

That's some serious torque! Is this for propulsion or lift?

"Oh god stop with the flat spins!"
G8xEu9n.png

FDWugPj.png

qcv7VDQ.png
Added canards for the looks since its pretty much a Berkut. Still some minor issues here and there(Very lackluster roll capability and the tendency for the lower rudder to be destroyed on take off), but its at least flyable now.

For a side project I'm putting an awful lot of thought into it. Then again, it's pretty much the first where I don't have to fiddle with the fuel load to balance the CoM and CoL, that's a good thing.

https://imgur.com/Uleq3UK

so this is the fully assembled V-4, it is quite crap. i need a load of tuning but i have reaction wheels on the drive shaft to help it a long but i'll have to diagnose some things.

i'll be the first to admit i'v taken a lot from klond's engines including but not limited to : pistons, crank, cylinder construction and radiators for valves.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, Levelord said:

Decided to jump back into KSP after a few years. Then I made a flying atmospheric rover or something.

That thing is awesome, would you share it ?

I kinda need it for test purposes . . . :ph34r:

7QERgF5.png

in my quest to built all unique variants of the B-29, i give you the KB-50/B-50. i dont have a picture of the completed B-50 yet but i do have the fully functional tanker version ready, all for the low low price of about 590 parts. sorry bout the graphical freakiness on the cockpit, it does that for some reason when you leave the immediate vicinity of the space center.

this was a couple hours of retrofitting my B-54. i really badly wanted to use my new prop on it but it was just too long. (giggidy)