Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

52 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Has a nice, meaty 70s vibe, I like it. 

Thanks, I love the old models aswell, that's why I've changed the wheels and did a re-paint. &)

pvjnc9M.png

It's a fast drifter. I'm still tuning it, but when it's ready I'll make a video.

Edited by Triop

Started building a plane and eventually decided to rebuild the thing. When I took off one of the major components which everything else is linked to, I realised that removed half of the plane looks very promising. Refer to the ghosted parts below.
KfLjHOG.png

With some added parts and a cockpit/drone core, that half of the plane flew amazingly.
xDSgsYY.png

The rebuilt plane however requires more work to be of satisfactory standard.

XMBzusy.png

Edited by Mignear

Building boats is fun. Building a 1:1 Destroyer is even more fun.

69MYcS2.png

I recently completed the hull of the U.S. Fletcher-class Destroyers, which earned their fame in the Pacific campaign in WWII.

WodJpZn.png

The hull itself is roughly 500 parts, owing primarily to the side planking, but the brunt of the parts will come from the turrets and superstructure. As shown here, she comes in at almost 1000 parts, thanks to the 80 part 5" main guns (of which there will eventually be five)

tvdOBML.png

These guns are fully actuated, but for obvious (stock) reasons, non-functional.

Edited by Servo

46 minutes ago, Servo said:

Building boats is fun.

I love your smooth lines, the parts seem to flow together.

A work of art. ^_^

I'm doing some paint (?) work . . .

1ebrrVu.png

Edited by Triop

42 minutes ago, Servo said:

These guns are fully actuated, but for obvious (stock) reasons, non-functional.

Is this a challenge? Or does the construction physically not allow for hinges to be slipped in?

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Is this a challenge? Or does the construction physically not allow for hinges to be slipped in?

I'd imagine that it would be the lag. Ships deemed close enough to warrant physics (200m iirc) dramatically increase lag. 

Source: tried to land a VTOL with moving parts when approaching a massive aircraft carrier. As soon as it crossed the threshold, the game turned into a powerpoint presentation on why this should not be attempted on a potato laptop.

1 hour ago, prgmTrouble said:

I'd imagine that it would be the lag. Ships deemed close enough to warrant physics (200m iirc) dramatically increase lag. 

Source: tried to land a VTOL with moving parts when approaching a massive aircraft carrier. As soon as it crossed the threshold, the game turned into a powerpoint presentation on why this should not be attempted on a potato laptop.

True, but with a big enough computer and enough patience, that is overcomable.

Personally, I might download it and see if I can actually add parts to it to make it positionable/movable using stock mechanics....

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

True, but with a big enough computer and enough patience, that is overcomable.

Personally, I might download it and see if I can actually add parts to it to make it positionable/movable using stock mechanics....

You can move the turrets around, and elevate them just fine. They don't fire, despite the fact that I have a gun that could almost fit in the turrets.

Edited by Servo

1 minute ago, Servo said:

You can move the turrets around, and elevate them just fine. They don't fire, despite the fact that I have a gun that could almost fit in the turrets.

Oh ok, I misunderstood non-functional as "not able to move", not as "without a gun that fires".

4GvOZ9k.png

The Fletcher in all of its glory. Five 5" guns, Four 40mm AA guns, and 2x2 Oerlikon autocannons, plus ten Mark 15 torpedo launchers are rendered here (more AA/Oerlikons were common later in the war).

RBFjBK4.png

The radar rigging is shown well here, as well as the torpedo tubes on the middeck. The Scanning probes represent signal lights (I think), which would be used for communication in times when radio was either impossible, or broken, or against orders.

CdYc7L3.png

As discussed above, the turrets do rotate and elevate on the main guns. This was my first attempt at turret design, so these are understandably somewhat basic/touchy.

No download link yet, as I haven't been able to get it into the water to test the engine setup (11 goliaths total, with two doing double duty between steering and thrust)

Shifted the wing pieces a little not just for looks but also to shift the CoL. It flies good now.

mCHgCM3.png
PZRfbEw.png

The usual load test.
lzygcUT.png

Its my first dual seater with a nose that points downwards. Pretty alright for a first I think.

Edited by Mignear