Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I've got a trio of projects (probably more, actually. Just 3 active ones) on the burners:

nZYRZlg.png

1.) lightweight stock air racer. Limit: 2 junos. This is designed to be a hypermaneuverable and fast air racer. This is the first plane where I've felt limited flying it on a keyboard instead of a throttle (which I do not possess. So this will have to have development outsourced somewhere)

a8N0kg1.png

2.) Superscale P-47. Unfortunately, I've still been having engine troubles on this one. @Kronus_Aerospace has been helpful (providing the engine), but even then, our powers combined are no match for the weirdness of props encased in multiple fairings. As a result, this will likely take a complete redesign, which unfortunately will take more time than I am willing to give at the moment.

YJS1hzJ.png

3.) for some reason, I've never built an A-4 (it's one of the dozen or so American jet combat aircraft I've never made a replica of). I decided that it's time to change that.

I started work on my first full scale fightercraft replica, I figured that the F-104 would be a simple start to this "genre" of replicas, however I soon discovered that the F-104 is significantly more complex than I initially anticipated. I first found a few blueprints, edited them together, and adjusted the scale to make them as useful to me as possible.

S6uWvAA.jpg

These blueprints displayed various subtleties in that F-104's design that made it much more difficult to replicate using stockparts than I had thought, and the build had a somewhat rocky start. With that said, my progress has been accelerating, and the build is already solidly 1/3 complete. With a part count of 249 already (mainly due to the cockpit) It is set to be the highest part count replica of the F-104 that I know of.

sgO2KGn.jpg

The intakes and rear section seem rather intimidating to tackle, but hopefully I can maintain my current momentum. The front section didn't turn out quite perfect, but overall was better than I expected.

ROLo6mt.jpg

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

In celebration of the reveal of the Ace Combat 7 DLCs, I decided to make a Raven of my own.

yedHt5I.png

KkOp7SK.png

The main body can be decoupled as well. Just a lack of the swing wing mechanism. Its rather sensitive though, gotta have to fine tune it.

C3ex5Us.png

As a whole it flies pretty damn well, pulling tight turns(maxing out at 12 Gs in a turn in my casual tests) and being rather stable(after clipping some parts in for yaw stability)

So a few months ago, I made a P-47. It was cool and all, but not really my kind of build. The details were tough to get down to scale, and it had a few other problems with it that I didn't like.

u6Wpdet.png

So I'm building this.

V1dxuvP.png

Inspired by @kapteenipirk's UCS series of planes, this is a 2x scale P-47, packed with all of the functionality you never knew you wanted.

Moving cowl flaps and Turbocharger exhaust ports, functioning Fowler Flaps inspired by @HB Stratos's design for a set, a pair of working machine guns, and trim settings for the propeller to set it for takeoff or cruise.

FI95RxP.png

All she still needs is a cockpit, and maybe a once-over on the engine (still getting used to stock props) to improve performance. 

My 1:1 F-104 build is progressing swimmingly. Part count has shot up to a whopping 530, but the results speak for themselves.

X1s5hZc.jpg

Fuselage is now completely finished. This leaves only the wings and tail fins left to be built. I suspect that these will go relatively quickly compared to the fuselage.

hIYeWkL.jpg

dnsDvlO.jpg

A great deal of effort was put into the Intakes, which encompass over 100 parts alone. To make things worse, Communotrons do not mirror symmetrically, meaning that these intakes had to built without mirror mode. This fact combined with their complexity means that they take up a solid 1/3 of this craft's build time thus far.

I am very proud of how this craft is coming along. By the end of this weekend I hope for it to be done. (video maybe?)

9Vs3Rkl.jpg

WOO! I renovated the Concorde fuselage design from the ground up, and it looks a lot better now.. and actually gets to supersonic without shattering into bits!

Took a while. I'm proud of it though.

Here are some shots of it doing it's thing... I've still got windows to add but for the most part it's almost done.

7S1OgRU.png

55k8Lqu.jpg

mGxuGze.jpg

3 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

but does the snoot droop?

Who cares ? :lol: That thing is a beast !

Working on the hardest jet (imo) to replicate: The F-14.

Looks good from this angle:

m8oebCq.png

But reality shows us an F-14 on steroids. :unsure::

2xQsBPK.png

Back to the drawing board . . .

10 hours ago, Columbia said:

WOO! I renovated the Concorde fuselage design from the ground up, and it looks a lot better now.. and actually gets to supersonic without shattering into bits!

Took a while. I'm proud of it though.

Here are some shots of it doing it's thing... I've still got windows to add but for the most part it's almost done.

The King has returned! You're still at the top of the game - your Concorde looks fantastic! I must say, you were one of my early inspirations to take on replica craft at a high level. 

As a fitting (albeit, unintentional) tribute of some sort, I've recently finalized my P-47D.

vs8qpoA.png

Currently sitting a hair under 600 parts, this beast tops out at 50m/s in level flight, but it's a 2:1 scale stock fighter, so can you really complain?

1 hour ago, Servo said:

The King has returned! You're still at the top of the game - your Concorde looks fantastic! I must say, you were one of my early inspirations to take on replica craft at a high level. 

As a fitting (albeit, unintentional) tribute of some sort, I've recently finalized my P-47D.

vs8qpoA.png

Currently sitting a hair under 600 parts, this beast tops out at 50m/s in level flight, but it's a 2:1 scale stock fighter, so can you really complain?

I'm really humbled to hear that! Thanks, I'm happy to hear that my replicas somehow inspired someone to take it up. Man, it's been a while..

Also, the P-47 looks great! The attention to the shape and form of the real thing and the tiny details are really good. That's another level of detail..

10 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

but does the snoot droop?

Oof, I wish.. Bearings are one of the few things I can never wrap my head around.

The snoot would droop. The snoot drooped.