Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

My 5.2 kiloton flying Aircraft carrier is approaching its first flight tests, There are many problems I have to figure out before then, the biggest one of which is control. Being a VTOL, control surfaces alone would be insufficient, but weighing 5200 tonnes means that a huge number of reaction wheels would be required. So I've been investigating how I could maneuver this beast.

TCa6XPn.jpg

qcYvEyv.jpg

Initially I thought I would have to resort to craft file editing, and make myself some super reaction wheels, as otherwise 1000 would likely be required. However, the other day I got the idea to use Kraken Drives as orientation control. These Kraken drives could be activated using control surfaces, and allow them to control the craft using WASD.

This turned out to be an amazing idea, and I'll let the results speak for themselves.

This result was so much better than I could have hoped for, the testing mechanism has a simple bearing and 1.2 kilotons of weight. Doing some quick and dirty math I found that it produced 8500 kN of thrust per Kraken drive, and considering that each one is only 13 parts and 4.3 tonnes, I'd say that's pretty good.

I repeated the test using Mammoth engines and reaction wheels, the Mammoth test showed significantly slower acceleration, and the Reaction Wheel test (which used the same # of parts as the Kraken Drive) was slow as mollases.

In terms of power and part count, this will work perfectly for Maneuvering the Azathoth. Presuming that I use 4 for Pitch + roll, and 2 for yaw, that would only come out to 78 parts and 25.8 tonnes, including struts I'm gonna round that up to 100 parts and 26 tonnes in total, just incredible.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

@Kerbalwerks sadly this is a KerbalScale (70%) replica with no space for hinges, I have switched to DockRotate to keep the craft file stock while being able to rotate the wings. I am however building a 1:1 replic that will have stock wings. To make these two replicas truly perfect I have gone as far as making my own mod with a F-14 3d model. I will not do that for every plane replica but it was well worth it for this one

On 5/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, Servo said:

Inspired by @kapteenipirk's UCS series of planes, this is a 2x scale P-47, packed with all of the functionality you never knew you wanted

Glad to see i was able to inspire at-least someone :). That P-47 is looking pretty fine btw, and i like how you've been able to make all the stuff that was powered by IR in the Hurricane stock.

Speaking of UCS stuff.

xqbRFQe.png

I'll let you guys guess what this belongs to.

It's been far too long, but ive finally found the motivation for it.

It may take a while to complete, as there is still a whole bunch of stuff that i need to build for @ZooNamedGames YouTube project and that takes bigger priority right now.

Just wanted to get some of it done to show that it is finally happening.

4 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Glad to see i was able to inspire at-least someone :). That P-47 is looking pretty fine btw, and i like how you've been able to make all the stuff that was powered by IR in the Hurricane stock.

Speaking of UCS stuff.

xqbRFQe.png

@ZooNamedGames

Well, not quite everything... I had a design for some landing gear, but it just couldn't take the load from a 40t plane. 

Inverted V-12 pegs that as a German WWII engine. Not knowing beyond that, I'm going to guess DB-106

7 minutes ago, Servo said:

Well, not quite everything... I had a design for some landing gear, but it just couldn't take the load from a 40t plane. 

Inverted V-12 pegs that as a German WWII engine. Not knowing beyond that, I'm going to guess DB-106

Yea, weight was also an issue for me. only the landing-gear doors where IR-powered, the gears themselves where just up-scaled stock ones.

Wait, i just got an idea...

qpPrqh2.png

8G8lv10.png

I know, not the most accurate, but it would fill in the last blank.

Yeah, C-9 to be exact ;).

22 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Speaking of UCS stuff.

xqbRFQe.png

It's been far too long, but ive finally found the motivation for it.

It may take a while to complete, as there is still a whole bunch of stuff that i need to build for @ZooNamedGames YouTube project and that takes bigger priority right now.

Just wanted to get some of it done to show that it is finally happening.

Now that's A DB-605 if i'v ever seen one

While Val is seeking out wallpaper for the fighter jet's bedroom, I am stuck with the task of building her a jet fighter mobile home. :blink:

IfyrPgJ.png

#onlyinKSP :lol:

Edited by Triop