Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Been working on a series of custom space modules and capsules for a new space station I'm building. Each module has an interior space, accessible through custom "open" docking ports. Each port consists of a 1.25m decoupler and a clamp-o-tron jr. The 1.25m decoupler is used for the hole in its collision mesh, which is just large enough for a kerbal to squeeze through. The idea is to create a station using these ports, to allow kerbals to move between modules internally. The final station will have an uninterrupted, fully navigable interior. 

VxpvGFm.png

Crews will be flown to the station in the Unnamed Space Ferry. Seats 6 kerbonauts inside an aerodynamic fairing.

It uses a custom docking port-based hatch that can be opened and closed from within a fairing.

Any resemblance to actual spacecrafts, active or retired, is purely coincidental.

4PQqn6X.png

Docked to the USS (Untitled Space Station)

Each docking port on this station uses Elevon-based doors to keep the part count low

3rhTR4q.png

Ferry hatch opening.

aqKotzi.png

Initiating crew transfer with the help of a ladder.

HvEGKvM.png

Inside the USS node module. Connects up to 6 modules at a time. Somewhat claustrophobic, however.

uGPzkso.png

Transferred to the service module. The more spacious space module.

I have more modules in the works, will update in the future. Thanks for viewing!

Edited by tehmattguy

MD-11 is off the shelf and back on the bench, first things first is the tail section. The engine, tail fin, and tail planes are all finished. This leaves the wings as the only big section that needs to be completed.
Ero6xqO.jpg
4Cw7ltO.jpg
QStIuHR.jpg
Progress is good.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

A friend told me about this Vehicle he saw in a magazine, they call it "FAT TRUCK" Here is my version of it. I am still working on the steering, when it's in the water it will need some rudder power.

"FAT TRUCK"

OVgF1Qs.png

ecCZQkw.png

14 hours ago, Triop said:

Yeah, you mean the spider mech, maybe I'll build that next. :lol:

RNe9Vz2.jpg

Speaking of ridiculous things, I've come up with this twin shuttle design for capturing a C-class space potato. This is the Castor lower shuttle, to be paired with the Pollux upper shuttle.

77xOTjc.png

And this is a closer look at the extendo-klaw mechanism. It's basically a monoprop piston with some docking ports to lock it in place.

z7EVjfn.png

Currently working on the MD-11's wings, and when I saw the huge control surfaces at the base of the wing, I decided to replicate them using the power of stock mechanics, the result is a huge custom control surface with a high degree of deflection and fast actuator speed, which will hopefully give the finished craft unparalleled control authority for its size.

Pa1RWgi.jpg

ZCnZDCL.jpg

The number of lifting surfaces used to construct means that this will provide the equivalent of 2 of the stock aeroplane wings swiveling, and that's each wing. Imagine and aircraft with 4 total of the stock aeroplane wings moving like giant control surfaces.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:24 AM, Castille7 said:

"FAT TRUCK"

I see your fat truck and raise you a Sherp:

Spoiler

In the meantime, I'm working on some variety of pterosaur. Sadly, I'm NOT going to try to make it an ornithopter. This is a very early WIP.

KLTJ1iA.png

1 hour ago, FleshJeb said:

I see your fat truck and raise you a Sherp:

I see your raise and gonna double down with how some of the Bayou Boys get it done down here! :D

Spoiler

Edited by Castille7

12 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

looks amazing! have you tried the control surfaces when actually flying? the drag from when the surface deflects may rip out of your bearing/control surface housing with something that large

I kind of have, I built a large fighter a few months ago that utilized the same concept, It had all moving wings giving it excellent control authority, the wings in total were similar in weight and lift to the control surfaces on the wings, and could withstand 30g maneuvers as well as speeds of mach 2 (though at those velocities they didn't work well with SAS).
fphsnR0.jpg

The control surfaces on the wings having a much greater internal volume allowed me to make them out of much stronger components as well, so I'm confident they will handle well in flight. Since the wings will be a custom aerofoil, the craft likely won't exceed 200 m/s anyway, so they won't have to experience very extreme forces.

vxuNttd.png

oh it's so incredibly tiny guys it's only 7 meters long and it weighs 3.8 tons with 122 parts, takes off at 25m/s.

now if only i could figure out why everyone else can make 2 bearing stock props work so well maybe i can fix this cantankerous sonuvabusiness that i call an engine

29 minutes ago, Phantomic said:

vxuNttd.png

oh it's so incredibly tiny guys it's only 7 meters long and it weighs 3.8 tons with 122 parts, takes off at 25m/s.

now if only i could figure out why everyone else can make 2 bearing stock props work so well maybe i can fix this cantankerous sonuvabusiness that i call an engine

I'd start with the prop blades. You have the trailing edge out in front.